The Student Room Group

fav alevel subject, why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by srhc24
aw, it's too late to enter myself for M2, but i might just learn it in the summer holidays for fun, cause I'm cool like that :wink:

The exam is in two months, which is just about enough time to learn it if you're really on it :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Those 3 x 3 :sexface:, are they the same as in FP1 but just bigger? :redface:

Multiplication and addition/subtraction follow the same principle from FP1, finding the inverse is much more lengthy! There are more steps and just more work overall because of the extra row and column. :redface:
Reply 102
Sociology - a ****load to revise but interesting and manageable.
GEOLOGY because volcanoes are ****ing cool!!!!!
Further maths, 'tis the shizz.
Original post by Where'sPerry?
Multiplication and addition/subtraction follow the same principle from FP1, finding the inverse is much more lengthy! There are more steps and just more work overall because of the extra row and column. :redface:

I'm guessing the Identity matrix would be?
(100010001)\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} ? :redface:.

I can imagine how tedious multiplication would be... one slip up and the whole things wrong :lol:
Reply 106
Maths - because it was interesting and felt satisfying when you solve a sh*t hard question.
Maths! :biggrin: I find it fun! :colondollar:
I absolutely love maths - it's a very engaging subject and the additional modules on the side (Mechanics, Stats etc.) give you some leeway to show off your strengths. :wink: History is brilliant too - gives you scope as to why things are the way they are today; it's easier to form an opinion on current events, too. :smile:
Original post by ilikethepunkrock
I absolutely love maths - it's a very engaging subject and the additional modules on the side (Mechanics, Stats etc.) give you some leeway to show off your strengths. :wink:

Original post by ChemicalBond
Maths! :biggrin: I find it fun! :colondollar:

Maths?! :eek: Fun!? :lolwut: ...

Only joking join the club :wink:
Reply 110
why is everyone so obsessed with maths??
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I'm guessing the Identity matrix would be?
(100010001)\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} ? :redface:.

I can imagine how tedious multiplication would be... one slip up and the whole things wrong :lol:

Yep, that's the identity matrix! And yeah, it can be a pain that it's so long!!
Chemistry - I love an experiment lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 113
Law. It might sound incredibly boring, but it's actually really engaging. It's always good to understand the laws of your country (and the flaws in the legal system, of which there are many).
Original post by Bella-emma
why is everyone so obsessed with maths??

Because you can't go wrong with taking it for A-Level. It's a very valuable subject, especially for degree-level sciences and even A-Level sciences (it's been useful for biology in my experience). Improves your problem solving skills and is very satisfying when you get right as well!

Edit: forgot to mention, at my uni interview for marine biology they LOVED the fact I did maths and further maths. Definitely helped me get the offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Maths

reason: It's a 'no bull ****' subject
Original post by Whangdoodle
I don't have a favourite. I love and hate different aspects of all my A Levels:

Maths - Love: When you finally understand a topic and it all 'clicks', you feel like a genius for a couple of minutes.
Hate: Trigonometry.
Chemistry - Love: Really interesting knowing what happens at such a small level.
Hate: The tedious coursework and the 'wall of text' questions on the papers which have really specific corresponding markschemes.
Physics - Love: The look of admiration on other people's faces when they find out you study it - everyone who doesn't do it seems to think it's 'so hard'. :tongue: Also, understanding what happens around you is really cool, and so is seeing the real life applications of it.
Hate: Tedious coursework.
History - Love: I have a weird fascination with Nazi-era Germany and World War Two Britain which, luckily, are the two topics my school have chosen to teach us! :biggrin:
Hate: Having to memorise all the dates, names, etc.

Samers :yy:
Because you can't go wrong with taking it for A-Level. It's a very valuable subject, especially for degree-level sciences and even A-Level sciences (it's been useful for biology in my experience). Improves your problem solving skills and is very satisfying when you get right as well!

Edit: forgot to mention, at my uni interview for marine biology they LOVED the fact I did maths and further maths. Definitely helped me get the offer.

Makes me wonder what use is maths and further maths for bio? Wouldn't Chemistry of been more useful? :redface:
Yep, that's the identity matrix! And yeah, it can be a pain that it's so long!!

Ahh post me some FP3 matrix questions if you've got time, I'd love to have a crack! :biggrin:
Reply 119
i want to go into medicine, whats maths got to do with that?

Quick Reply

Latest