The Student Room Group

Margaret Thatcher fans launch alternative #1 campaign

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L i b
No ****, Sherlock...

Lol, I only mention the obvious as some people (including Louise Mensch, a key agent in this silly campaign) appear to be a little confused about it.
Reply 161
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Lol, I only mention the obvious as some people (including Louise Mensch, a key agent in this silly campaign) appear to be a little confused about it.

I follow Mensch one Twitter. It's quite clear she appreicates its a piss-take. It's supposed to be a humorous riposte. Promoting it is a bit more layered than simply saying "We like Maggie Thatcher".
Original post by L i b
I follow Mensch one Twitter. It's quite clear she appreicates its a piss-take. It's supposed to be a humorous riposte. Promoting it is a bit more layered than simply saying "We like Maggie Thatcher".

Ah well. I always thought she would find something else useful to do after helping to let Rupert off the hook at the infamous Select Committee hearing for perverted newspaper editors who like to listen in on the voice messages of dead teenagers.
Louise Mensch LOL. That is all I have to say about her.
Update: I'm hearing lot's of different numbers so I'm a bit confused as to where it's actually finished. I think overall for the week it was #35, and for Friday and Saturday it was #6 - can't verify that though. I've also heard that the BBC WILL play it- can't be certain of that either though.
Reply 165
I'm not of any strong conviction either way on the decision not to play it. On the one hand, it seems profoundly distasteful to me, but on the other I am quite accepting that I don't deserve the right to have my sense of taste protected by others. By altering its usual behaviour, the BBC has effectively taken a side on the issue - the only neutral option was to play it as normal - and so I do disagree with that aspect of it because the BBC ought to be neutral, but I'm also not a particular champion of freedom of speech. Total freedom to say what you like does not equate to the happiest possible society. It was a judgement call with pros and cons on both sides.
Reply 166
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Ah well. I always thought she would find something else useful to do after helping to let Rupert off the hook at the infamous Select Committee hearing for perverted newspaper editors who like to listen in on the voice messages of dead teenagers.

If you think your that sort of smug claptrap is in some way annoying me, you're sadly mistaken. I couldn't give less of a **** about Louise Mensche. She was a fairly poor MP who quickly buggered off.
Original post by L i b
If you think your that sort of smug claptrap is in some way annoying me, you're sadly mistaken. I couldn't give less of a **** about Louise Mensche. She was a fairly poor MP who quickly buggered off.

I wasn't trying to annoy you, I was making a public comment about her bloody awful (and, I suspect) deliberately disruptive behaviour at that committee.
Reply 168
Original post by SpiggyTopes
Update: I'm hearing lot's of different numbers so I'm a bit confused as to where it's actually finished. I think overall for the week it was #35, and for Friday and Saturday it was #6 - can't verify that though. I've also heard that the BBC WILL play it- can't be certain of that either though.

Number 35. They played it but they didnt say its name

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't understand why they didn't choose 'Don't cry for me Argentina'

So, so relevant...
Reply 170
:lol:

8,768. That's all you could do.
Original post by Izzyeviel
Don't understand why they didn't choose 'Don't cry for me Argentina'

So, so relevant...

That would have been fantastic!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply