The Student Room Group

Welsh Baccalaureate and Oxford

I am hoping to read Law at Oxford.

I am currently in Year 11 (Sitting GCSEs).

My A-Level choices need to finalised soon and I have ended up with this:

AS

Religious Studies (Religion + Ethics and Religion + Philosophy)

A2

Mathematics
Geography
English Lit.

Other

Welsh Baccalaureate

Help?

Firstly, should I achieve AAA or higher (Aren't I an optimistic sod) at A2, would this portfolio of A-Levels allow me to submit a competitive application to Oxford.

Welsh Baccalaureate isn't compulsory at our school. We are recommended to take 4, and drop one. Obviously, studying the Welsh Baccalaureate would take me to five, but having spoken to teachers, I am supposedly 'more than capable of managing the workload'. Welsh Baccalaureate looks like a simple course as it requires abilities such as level 3 maths. Stop rambling Caitlan! Sorry for going off on a tangent. Do you think Oxford has a positive view on the Welsh Baccalaureate or am I wasting my time?

What other options do I have of improving my chances? I am already trying to organise with the head of sixth to start up a debate club. I am also organising law based work experience. Are there any other options? It doesn't matter if they're time consuming because I haven't even finished my GCSEs yet so I have plenty of time

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any sort of response :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Caitlan

AS

A2

Mathematics
Geography
English Lit.

Other

Welsh Baccalaureate

Help?

Firstly, should I achieve AAA or higher (Aren't I an optimistic sod) at A2, would this portfolio of A-Levels allow me to submit a competitive application to Oxford.

Welsh Baccalaureate isn't compulsory at our school. We are recommended to take 4, and drop one. Obviously, studying the Welsh Baccalaureate would take me to five, but having spoken to teachers, I am supposedly 'more than capable of managing the workload'. Welsh Baccalaureate looks like a simple course as it requires abilities such as level 3 maths. Stop rambling Caitlan! Sorry for going off on a tangent. Do you think Oxford has a positive view on the Welsh Baccalaureate or am I wasting my time?

What other options do I have of improving my chances? I am already trying to organise with the head of sixth to start up a debate club. I am also organising law based work experience. Are there any other options? It doesn't matter if they're time consuming because I haven't even finished my GCSEs yet so I have plenty of time

Forgive me for forgoing most of your post, but I had one point to make on extra-curricular activities. Do them because you enjoy them, not in an effort to give your application an 'edge', because the chances are that the dons interviewing you won't really care about them.
Original post by Caitlan

AS

A2

Mathematics
Geography
English Lit.

Other

Welsh Baccalaureate

Help?

No idea about Welsh Bac but those A levels should be fine - I did Geography, Maths and Lit (as well as Economics) and it wasn't an issue (in my Law offer, my college didn't specify which subjects I needed As in so I take it that they were fine with all 4)

For ECs, I would agree with Bax-man. Also, it may be helpful for you to do further readings or activities which are law-related (such as getting work experience or sitting in on a court case). However, bear in mind that Oxford's emphasis is more on the academics of law (as opposed to vocational) so if you do get vocational experience, try to relate it back to the former (eg you got to see how barristers do legal reasoning and found it exciting because of x reasons)
Original post by Bax-man
Forgive me for forgoing most of your post, but I had one point to make on extra-curricular activities. Do them because you enjoy them, not in an effort to give your application an 'edge', because the chances are that the dons interviewing you won't really care about them.

Well, I very much enjoy debating so I will look into that

The whole application sounds terrifying. Thanks for the advice though
Original post by mishieru07
No idea about Welsh Bac but those A levels should be fine - I did Geography, Maths and Lit (as well as Economics) and it wasn't an issue (in my Law offer, my college didn't specify which subjects I needed As in so I take it that they were fine with all 4)

For ECs, I would agree with Bax-man. Also, it may be helpful for you to do further readings or activities which are law-related (such as getting work experience or sitting in on a court case). However, bear in mind that Oxford's emphasis is more on the academics of law (as opposed to vocational) so if you do get vocational experience, try to relate it back to the former (eg you got to see how barristers do legal reasoning and found it exciting because of x reasons)

Would you mind if I PMd you when I needed help. It would be nice to be able to have someone to come to with Oxford specific questions
Original post by Caitlan
Would you mind if I PMd you when I needed help. It would be nice to be able to have someone to come to with Oxford specific questions

Sure :smile: I can't guarantee I'll be able to answer them but I'll do my best! :tongue:
Reply 6
Hey, I'm hoping to apply to Oxford if my AS results are 4A's and I also do Welsh Bacc. I only do it because it is compulsory though. If I were you, I wouldn't do it. It takes up too much time and not many high rated unis like Oxford even value it. It wouldn't give you much of an edge either and your chance to shine is through your personal statement, results, interview and law admissions test! That's what I was told when I visited an open day at Oxford:smile: Welsh Bacc bores me. It's like constant PSE. I know it sounds bad but I think I turned up to about 5 Welsh Bacc lessons this year and I honestly don't care. I'm perfectly happy concentrating on my A-Levels, and everyone I know that is thinking of applying to Oxford or other Russel Unis do the same. Please don't dig yourself a hole by taking it x
Reply 7
Original post by Matthew-json
Caisku, I was in your position several months ago.

I had:
•AS - AAAA (English Literature, Geography, History and Politics)
•A2 - A*A*AA (predicted)
•EPQ - A comparison between judicial systems and how they protect our civil liberties
•Award in Team Leading - Level 2 (with a legal focus)
•LNAT - a 'very strong result' (as quoted on my Oxford rejection letter)
•Intermediate Welsh Baccalaureate
•Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate
•Had undertaken a course for prospective law students
•Work experience at a solicitors
•Evidence of extra reading in legal philosophy
•Had helped in the organisation of large events

I was not called up for interview. Am I saying I was worth an interview? Perhaps not - there are perhaps thousands of students who were evidently more suitable.

But what I am saying is, don't trivialise the Welsh Baccalaureate and other things you can do because they are useful - even if you do not get into Oxford :frown:

Also, Oxford accepts the Welsh Baccalaureate in lieu of an A in its offers (according to their website) - although I'm yet to see an offer including the Welsh Bacc.

Anyway, best of luck.

Hey sorry you didn't get an interview at Oxford! I have to disagree though, I don't believe that Oxford or any other top uni would take Welsh Bacc instead of an A grade at A2. Although if it is done alongside 3/4 A2s I don't think it would be a problem at all however I believe that it doesn't make a massive impact (from what I've gathered from speaking to tutors at open days) and that the OP should opt against doing Welsh Bacc and stick to doing traditional A-Levels. :smile:
In response to all the stuff about welsh bac, I did it (albeit half-heartedly) for year 12 and then as I was applying to unis, emailed all my prospective unis about it, and they all said in a roundabout way that they don't accept it. It's not a bad thing to carry on with it necessarily but email all the unis you're looking at and press them for an answer (they'll try to fob you off with things like "we recognise that it is a legitimate qualification" :L), and then decide if you think it's worth it :smile:
Oxford accepted me without it, and I don't think it makes you any more or less "desirable" in that sense either, but I'm pretty sure they don't often accept it as an A.
Hope this helps :smile: x
Thanks guys! I think I'll go without it and focus on trying not to drop Religious Studies at AS.

I've been told by so many people now that welsh bac. is a waste of time, so I'd rather read more into Law as it will prove to be more beneficial

And @Libbygrindell - I had a feeling that they don't accept it as an A... I can't say I blame them
Original post by caisku
Hey, I'm hoping to apply to Oxford if my AS results are 4A's and I also do Welsh Bacc. I only do it because it is compulsory though. If I were you, I wouldn't do it. It takes up too much time and not many high rated unis like Oxford even value it. It wouldn't give you much of an edge either and your chance to shine is through your personal statement, results, interview and law admissions test! That's what I was told when I visited an open day at Oxford:smile: Welsh Bacc bores me. It's like constant PSE. I know it sounds bad but I think I turned up to about 5 Welsh Bacc lessons this year and I honestly don't care. I'm perfectly happy concentrating on my A-Levels, and everyone I know that is thinking of applying to Oxford or other Russel Unis do the same. Please don't dig yourself a hole by taking it x

Hi, I'm currently in a similar situation as you regarding compulsory welsh bacc and I was wondering how much work it needs, how many lessons it has and if I will be able to do 4 subjects with it. I am worried I won't have any free periods because of it and am considering dropping a subject due to the extra stress it would cause. I am doing English lit, history, rs and buissness incase this is relivant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending