The Student Room Group

For Business - University of Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester, New Castle, Durham?

Out of these universities, University of Durham, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham and New Castle, which one is better in terms of their business school? Or any other universities with good business schools for undergrad? (Not in London City, nearby is fine) :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by aas123
Out of these universities, University of Durham, Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham and New Castle, which one is better in terms of their business school? Or any other universities with good business schools for undergrad? (Not in London City, nearby is fine) :confused:

Durham business school has a really bad rep. Best out of them is Nottingham for uni rep, all solid unis. Depends on what you like really, notts campus is amazing, newcastle and leeds have great nightlife, manchester is full of internationals and a lot to do but their business school isn't as strong as notts in my opinion.

Other good schools are Bath, Warwick e.t.c good luck
Reply 2
Original post by Asheeers
Durham business school has a really bad rep. Best out of them is Nottingham for uni rep, all solid unis. Depends on what you like really, notts campus is amazing, newcastle and leeds have great nightlife, manchester is full of internationals and a lot to do but their business school isn't as strong as notts in my opinion.

Other good schools are Bath, Warwick e.t.c good luck

I've heard Durham has an overall better rep than the other unis mentioned.. Do potential employers look at the better business school or the better uni in general? Also, for an international student, what university would you prefer in terms of ambiance and likelihood of settling in quick?
Reply 3
Original post by aas123
I've heard Durham has an overall better rep than the other unis mentioned.. Do potential employers look at the better business school or the better uni in general? Also, for an international student, what university would you prefer in terms of ambiance and likelihood of settling in quick?

Durham university has an amazing rep, but its business school isn't in Durham it's in Stockton. That will inevitaby mean that as a student it will have a different vibe to the rest of the university. Whether it has a different reputation for employers ... I doubt it.
Reply 4
Original post by Crumpet1
Durham university has an amazing rep, but its business school isn't in Durham it's in Stockton. That will inevitaby mean that as a student it will have a different vibe to the rest of the university. Whether it has a different reputation for employers ... I doubt it.

Do you happen to know what Stockton is like? I've heard the university has like 2k people in total and that puts me down because there'll barely be any social scene!
Reply 5
Original post by aas123
Do you happen to know what Stockton is like? I've heard the university has like 2k people in total and that puts me down because there'll barely be any social scene!

Sorry, I don't.
Reply 6
Original post by aas123

Stockton on tees isn't a nice area sorry to put you off but I had a look at Durham and made my decision not to pick it based on the area

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by sms1995
Stockton on tees isn't a nice area sorry to put you off but I had a look at Durham and made my decision not to pick it based on the area

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I thought so :frown: Which one out of these unis do you think is better? Sorry i'm extremely confused
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by aas123
yeah I thought so :frown: Which one out of these unis do you think is better? Sorry i'm extremely confused

It's fine I applied to Nottingham as well but I didn't like the idea of a split campus, however that is the best uni out of the ones you've mentioned. I went to see Leeds as well and that was probably my favourite uni as the atmosphere was great, good course and it was the best of both worlds with the campus in a city. I'm gutted that I didn't apply to Leeds as it was AAA and I knew I wouldn't get that. But overall really it's personal preference as they are all top unis and I live near Manchester so I know that's good but it's a city uni. Sorry for the essay answer but hope that helps as I've been in a similar situation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by aas123

Sorry I just re read your first comment are you doing AS at the moment? Or have you applied to the ones you mentioned at the top?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by sms1995
Sorry I just re read your first comment are you doing AS at the moment? Or have you applied to the ones you mentioned at the top?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for all the info! I've actually done a US high school diploma along with 5 International Baccalaureate Certificates (2 HL 3 SL). I took a gap year this year to work for a company. So I'm not really waiting for my results. I have a 3.5 GPA and All 6's (thats like A- ish) on the certificates. Not many people in the UK know all this info I know, Im an international student. I think the hardest thing with making the decision is the fact that I havent been to the UK ever let alone visiting any of the unis so I'm kinda just deciding based on all my internet research and peoples' opinions here! I was talking to a friends who is at Nottingham Trent, he said Nots uni is actually pretty good but its a bit far from the city centre, not exactly walking distance. I just like being in a city and getting a lively feeling with like a big campus and everything within walking distance. Oh God, sorry for this long post!
Reply 11
It's ok and well done for your grades they're well good! I know exactly what you mean about the city and walking distance and stuff I ended up picking Lancaster uni which i'll hopefully be going to if I get the grades as they have one of the top business schools and its triple accredited which makes it one of only 50 in the world to have that which is pretty cool. However it's only a small town sort of place and I did want to sort of live in a city. And are you from America?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by sms1995
It's ok and well done for your grades they're well good! I know exactly what you mean about the city and walking distance and stuff I ended up picking Lancaster uni which i'll hopefully be going to if I get the grades as they have one of the top business schools and its triple accredited which makes it one of only 50 in the world to have that which is pretty cool. However it's only a small town sort of place and I did want to sort of live in a city. And are you from America?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow thats great! I'm sure you'll have fun there! I'm actually not American, I'm Pakistani by nationality but I've done my schooling in the Philippines in an American school and I'm living here atm :smile:
Reply 13
Warwick has a great business school, and from what you're saying about what you want, it has a great vibe / campus.
Reply 14
Original post by aas123
wow thats great! I'm sure you'll have fun there! I'm actually not American, I'm Pakistani by nationality but I've done my schooling in the Philippines in an American school and I'm living here atm :smile:

That's cool and I agree with the comment above Warwick is a good business school but of you want a city I'd definitely recommend either Leeds or Newcastle as they are both amazing places with great a great atmosphere. The only thing is the city unis outside of London don't tend to have as good business schools as the campus unis but they are still really good unis. Sorry if I think I worded that weirdly haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by sms1995
That's cool and I agree with the comment above Warwick is a good business school but of you want a city I'd definitely recommend either Leeds or Newcastle as they are both amazing places with great a great atmosphere. The only thing is the city unis outside of London don't tend to have as good business schools as the campus unis but they are still really good unis. Sorry if I think I worded that weirdly haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got an offer to transfer from Nottingham (Management with French) to go to Leeds to study French and Management and was wondering your opinion out of curiosity?
Reply 16
It's personal opinion really because I loved Leeds and didn't like the split campus on Nottingham which I why I'd probably choose Leeds also there was a lot more atmosphere there when I went to the open day as the campus is not that big. However Nottingham is a better business school and uni over all. It all depends on what you want from it really :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by sms1995
It's personal opinion really because I loved Leeds and didn't like the split campus on Nottingham which I why I'd probably choose Leeds also there was a lot more atmosphere there when I went to the open day as the campus is not that big. However Nottingham is a better business school and uni over all. It all depends on what you want from it really :smile:
Thank you, oh dear, so a nottingham is better but I'm not enjoying it, haha that won't go down well with the parents if I say I want to move.
Do you know much about how Sheffield and Manchester compare to Nottingham by any chance?
Reply 18
I would say Leeds was better than both Sheffield and Manchester in rankings and atmosphere as Leeds is a campus still. Leeds is still a really good uni , sorry to put you off and if you're unhappy at Nottingham it's probably best you do move to a different one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by sms1995
I would say Leeds was better than both Sheffield and Manchester in rankings and atmosphere as Leeds is a campus still. Leeds is still a really good uni , sorry to put you off and if you're unhappy at Nottingham it's probably best you do move to a different one

Posted from TSR Mobile

No don't be sorry, glad to hear someone's educated opinion on all four places

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending