The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by otrivine
on page 84

do you want me to describe spin as to how many hydrogens are found adjacent to carbon ato,m

Yeah that's what I was hinting at when I said in proton NMR, sorry if it wasn't too clear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 821
Original post by MathsNerd1
Yeah that's what I was hinting at when I said in proton NMR, sorry if it wasn't too clear

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh ok sorry

so spin-spin gives the indication of the number of hydrogen atoms adjacent to carbon atoms and there are peaks in which could vary and represent the number of H , examples are singlet,doublet,triplet , quartet or multiplet

singlet=no H adjacent to carbon
doublet= 1 H adjacent to carbon
triplet= 2 H adjacent to Carbon
quartet= 3 H adjacent on carbon
multiplet= 4+ H adjacet to carbon
oh ok sorry

so spin-spin gives the indication of the number of hydrogen atoms adjacent to carbon atoms and there are peaks in which could vary and represent the number of H , examples are singlet,doublet,triplet , quartet or multiplet

singlet=no H adjacent to carbon
doublet= 1 H adjacent to carbon
triplet= 2 H adjacent to Carbon
quartet= 3 H adjacent on carbon
multiplet= 4+ H adjacet to carbon

Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 823

Why is there different chemcal shift values (1)
Why is there different chemcal shift values (1)

To show that there are different chemical environments?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 825
To show that there are different chemical environments?

Posted from TSR Mobile

because of different electronegativty between atoms

my turn
because of different electronegativty between atoms

my turn

Oh I see and this will be the last from me, need to do a Maths paper under times conditions :smile:

Ethyl Methanoate is one of the compounds responsible for the smell of raspberries. Outline, with reaction conditions, how it could be synthesised in the lab from Methanol. (7)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 827
Oh I see and this will be the last from me, need to do a Maths paper under times conditions :smile:

Ethyl Methanoate is one of the compounds responsible for the smell of raspberries. Outline, with reaction conditions, how it could be synthesised in the lab from Methanol. (7)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, methanol is a primary alcohol and is therefore, oxidised to a carboxylic acid via heating under relux, with acidified potassium dichromate and concentrated H2SO4 and forms methaoic acid, the methanoic acid then has to react with an alochol and a catalyst would be needed in this concentratied H2SO4 (H+(aq)) and should be heated in a water bath. Methanoic acid reacts with ethanol and undergoes a condensation reaction in which a molecule of water is removed and water would be formed as product. This causes them to join together and forms an ester which is Ethyl Methanoate and this gives rise to the smell of rasberries.

N.B when potassium dichromate is acifiied oxidised colour changes from organe to green
Firstly, methanol is a primary alcohol and is therefore, oxidised to a carboxylic acid via heating under relux, with acidified potassium dichromate and concentrated H2SO4 and forms methaoic acid, the methanoic acid then has to react with an alochol and a catalyst would be needed in this concentratied H2SO4 (H+(aq)) and should be heated in a water bath. Methanoic acid reacts with ethanol and undergoes a condensation reaction in which a molecule of water is removed and water would be formed as product. This causes them to join together and forms an ester which is Ethyl Methanoate and this gives rise to the smell of rasberries.

N.B when potassium dichromate is acifiied oxidised colour changes from organe to green

Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 829
Are you breaking up with me:frown:

I thought we were good buddies

Ha. :biggrin: No! You probably just didn't see my question.
Reply 830

ok

Define: esterification
Reply 831
Original post by MasterYi
Ha. :biggrin: No! You probably just didn't see my question.

oh ok :wink:
Reply 832
oh ok :wink:

1) explain why triglycerides are soluble in non polar solvents and not in water [3]
Hey guys, I posted this in the F325 thread, if anyone could help that would be great. Thanks!

Spoiler

Reply 834
Original post by Zzzyax
1) explain why triglycerides are soluble in non polar solvents and not in water [3]

Triglycerides are long chain carbon bonds and atoms and contains no OH group for it to dissolve in water as hydrogen bonds are not formed
Reply 835
Triglycerides are long chain carbon bonds and atoms and contains no OH group for it to dissolve in water as hydrogen bonds are not formed

do not form good hydrogen bonds,

due to lack of oxygen atoms in hydrocarbon chain

form van der waals forces between trigylcerides

and non polar solvent

long hydrocarbon chains do not hydrogen
bond/would interfere with hydrogen bonding in water
AW

Reply 836
I just did my first F324 past paper, i got 45/60, ran out time abit, you have to do this exam so fast, its like a ****ing speed test, how fast can you write, in this exam you cannot afford to waste a single moment daydreaming or whatever, you must be almost relentless in the speed you write, and be absolutely focused all the time, cause youll need every second in this exam , yes they have given an extra 15 mins, (but as shown in jan F325), they have made the papers harder or increased the grade boundaries, (think about it there are not just going to given extra time and thats it because its unfair of people in previous years), anyway over the next month im going to do the rest of the papers and perhaps post what i get here.
Reply 837
Hey people, Im wondering if anyone has got a big compilation of questions? Especially those on the old spec which are still relevant. If people dont mind posing one it could be very useful?
Reply 838
Original post by BIG Y
Hey people, Im wondering if anyone has got a big compilation of questions? Especially those on the old spec which are still relevant. If people dont mind posing one it could be very useful?

Master Yi posted a link before http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2281592&page=11&p=42165206#post42165206

Latest

Trending

Trending