The Student Room Group

Why do boys brought up by single mothers often have LESS respect for women?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Maybe they blame their mother for not having a father?
Reply 21
Answering the question properly would force me to accept the premise, which I don't. Is there any proof that boys raised by single mothers have a disdain for women?

If I had to speculate I'd argue that teaching kids respect is a job for parents however any single parent, male or female, has less time to spend with their kids.
Reply 22
Not true at all.

My parents divorced when I was 8, and I lived with my Mum. I also know quite a few people in a similar position, and I don't think any of us could be described as acting / behaving in a way that would support the OP.
Reply 23
Original post by Jack93o
massive generalization of course but single mothers don't tend to be the best representation of women, hence why they're single mothers in the first place

It sounds bad but I do agree with you on this. Some may have made poor decisions in the past that led to a breakdown in their relationship or simply made a bad decision in regards to the person to procreate with. So a small amount of them may not be the best representation of women.
Reply 24
One may not be acting in the way the OP described but I'm pretty sure that they would have done a lot better had it not been for their single mothers.
There are males who are brought up with both parents yet still are disrespectful to women. I don't think you can always predict what your kid is going to end up like, and also, not all single parents or parents raise their child the same. I don't think that boys brought up by single mothers would have less respect for women. I'd have thought they appreciated that their mothers raised them alone. (Not that this applies to every male)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Zenomorph
What you don't understand is that a lot of the time these boys are not conscious or aware of what they are doing.

Very often these are psychological effects of of some sort of abuse from their single mothers - this goes straight into the back of the boys' heads and becomes part of the subconscious.

Single mothers have to take at least part of the blame. You have to ask why they could not get along with their souses to the extent of divorce ? I can bet they have a history of failed relationships with males - Fathers, Brothers, ex-boyfriends etc.

Yes the reason is that they may have been abused themselves but what they should do is to grow a pair and take on their abusers directly instead of the cowardly action of taking it out on innocents like their own children. It means that they have no respect or love for their own children - overridden by their own selfishness, insecurity and cowardice.

So next time you meet one of these guys why not talk to them about it, give them support and help them instead of letting their guilty mothers get off Scot free.

I'm not sure if this is the case, wouldnt you say "abuse" is a bit of a strong word? And like I said I know a lot of these guys' mothers and nicer women you could not meet. Unless they're spoiling their sons and not disciplining them in the way a father would to the extent it messes up their personalities because they're used to women always giving them what they want.
Reply 27
Original post by Ezekiella
I'm not sure if this is the case, wouldnt you say "abuse" is a bit of a strong word? And like I said I know a lot of these guys' mothers and nicer women you could not meet. Unless they're spoiling their sons and not disciplining them in the way a father would to the extent it messes up their personalities because they're used to women always giving them what they want.

That might be the case but it reverts to the same thing - an unbalanced unnatural upbringing. Why is this the case ?

Could it be that SM's are compensating for their guilt of depriving their children of a natural wholesome family environment ?
If so it still is because of their own selfish cowardly behaviour that results from not standing up to their own abusers and taking it out on their kids.

Also giving people things is in no way the same as giving love and care, the two are in no way related. A family w/o love and care will probably have a much higher chance of abuse than one which is poor but has a lot of love.
What you don't understand is that a lot of the time these boys are not conscious or aware of what they are doing.

Very often these are psychological effects of of some sort of abuse from their single mothers - this goes straight into the back of the boys' heads and becomes part of the subconscious.

Single mothers have to take at least part of the blame. You have to ask why they could not get along with their souses to the extent of divorce ? I can bet they have a history of failed relationships with males - Fathers, Brothers, ex-boyfriends etc.

Yes the reason is that they may have been abused themselves but what they should do is to grow a pair and take on their abusers directly instead of the cowardly action of taking it out on innocents like their own children. It means that they have no respect or love for their own children - overridden by their own selfishness, insecurity and cowardice.

So next time you meet one of these guys why not talk to them about it, give them support and help them instead of letting their guilty mothers get off Scot free.

Nice try blaming single mothers for everything.

A lot of fathers cannot deal with the responsibility of having children and abandon them. How do I know? My father abandoned my mother while she was pregnant with me, left the country and hasnt even bothered to contact me as an adult.

I take serious issue with people like you. There are bad mothers and bad fathers. Every case is different.
Reply 29
That might be the case but it reverts to the same thing - an unbalanced unnatural upbringing. Why is this the case ?

Could it be that SM's are compensating for their guilt of depriving their children of a natural wholesome family environment ?
If so it still is because of their own selfish cowardly behaviour that results from not standing up to their own abusers and taking it out on their kids.

Also giving people things is in no way the same as giving love and care, the two are in no way related. A family w/o love and care will probably have a much higher chance of abuse than one which is poor but has a lot of love.

I think you're right about the "unbalanced" thing in that single mothers often seem to discipline their children (especially sons even when they also have daughters) less. When I was growing up it was actually my Dad who was the soft one and spoiled me, but my parents are together and several single mothers seem to give their sons everything (both in being too nice and too many things) they want purely to "overcompensate" for their dads not being around, when perhaps sometimes tough love would be better. But sometimes the best option for people is to divorce unless you're talking about why they got married in the first place (though this is a whole separate topic I guess).

I know one guy on my course who is an only child with a single mother and he gets about £100 a week in allowance money off his mum on top of a full student loan, grant and bursary, most of which ends up with the local drug dealer (as well as perhaps too much "love and care" as she talks to him like a baby though he's over 20 and he regularly gossips about his friends on the phone to her!) He isn't particularly smart or talented at anything but his arrogance and attitude towards people (especially girls) is amazing.
Reply 30
I was raised by both for most of my life and still have little respect for women
Reply 31
I've noticed among my male friends that all those who were brought up by their mothers exclusively (or mostly) tend to treat girls a lot worse than those who were raised by both parents (or those whose parents were divorced but still saw their fathers a lot).

A disproportionate number of them regularly refer to girls (even the ones they're seeing) by demeaning terms like "slut" and "bitch", speak to me and other girls as though we're from another planet, have very few true female friends apart from tomboys, make fun of or look down on common female interests like fashion and so on specifically because they're things girls tend to like, think the phrase "like a girl" is an insult, don't understand what's socially appropriate regarding dirty humour and often do things like repeatedly say "bet that couple are going to be shagging in a few hours" till it's no longer a joke at parties, and generally treat women and girls as inferior sex objects. Oddly enough, very few of them could be called "masculine" boys or alpha-male types either - they're not popular players, and they gossip, backstab and are cattier than a lot of the girls I know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to disrespect guys brought up by single mothers or imply that they're all like this - I know some with a huge amount of respect for women who treat their girlfriends like princesses. I also know a lot of guys generally who behave like the above.

What I don't understand is why guys raised by single mothers wouldn't have more respect for women, given the unusual amount of strong female influence in their lives? I know there's a tendency to see single mothers as uneducated chavs with no idea how to raise a child, and there are stats that show that most criminals were raised by single mothers etc., but most of the guys I'm talking about have well-educated mothers who got divorced after having children (and most of those mothers are also pretty nice people.)

what is the number of boys (who were raised by single mother) that you have observed this behaviour in?
Reply 32
Original post by Mullah.S
what is the number of boys (who were raised by single mother) that you have observed this behaviour in?

Off the top of my head, I could name at least 15 to 20 who act like this on a regular basis.
Reply 33
I can vouch for this. Due to various circumstances my father wasnt around when I was hitting 13 and my teen years so I never learnt how a man should really treat a woman. Now I just have no respect for peoples relationships and will happily get with girls who have boyfriends. Im not proud and know its wrong but hey, i'm drunk so its fine:wink: And besides... im not the one cheating:wink:
Reply 34
Off the top of my head, I could name at least 15 to 20 who act like this on a regular basis.

You know 15 people who have single mums and all behave like this?

So therefore this is meaning single mum causes this behaving?

...from your sample size of 15 people?

I my opinionated, I think one of these boy is saying something to you that you not liking and now you are picking on something about them to critical so you feeling better about you self?
Reply 35
You know 15 people who have single mums and all behave like this?

So therefore this is meaning single mum causes this behaving?

...from your sample size of 15 people?

I my opinionated, I think one of these boy is saying something to you that you not liking and now you are picking on something about them to critical so you feeling better about you self?

Like I've said about a million times already on this thread, I said "in my experience," hence I wasn't making a generalisation. :rolleyes: Correlation doesn't always imply causation, but it is sometimes the case.

Chriswhjay
I can vouch for this. Due to various circumstances my father wasnt around when I was hitting 13 and my teen years so I never learnt how a man should really treat a woman. Now I just have no respect for peoples relationships and will happily get with girls who have boyfriends. Im not proud and know its wrong but hey, i'm drunk so its fine And besides... im not the one cheating

Not to sound judgmental but it's pretty bad even to help someone cheat. Don't you worry about what would happen to you/them if one of the boyfriends found out? :dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Like I've said about a million times already on this thread, I said "in my experience," hence I wasn't making a generalisation. :rolleyes: Correlation doesn't always imply causation, but it is sometimes the case.

Not to sound judgmental but it's pretty bad even to help someone cheat. Don't you worry about what would happen to you/them if one of the boyfriends found out? :dontknow:

Ive done it at parties when their boyfriends have been there lol XD It mildly concerns me afterwards but hey... if they are cheating theres something clearly not right at home (y) Besides im a black belt in karate so if anyone tries anything, boom my ninja side comes out
Reply 37

It is ofcourse going to be in you're experience. Who else experience would it be? You would post a thread talking about other people experiencing?

The title of you're thread is making a position in its premise that single mother boys are less respect to woman. In you're experience. This is position you taking.

The position you taking based on sample size of 15 people.

This is all i am saying.

I also believe you dishonestly doing shameless overestimate of '15-20' people who you can name to supporting your position. But i cannot proving this false information.
Reply 38
It is ofcourse going to be in you're experience. Who else experience would it be? You would post a thread talking about other people experiencing?

The title of you're thread is making a position in its premise that single mother boys are less respect to woman. In you're experience. This is position you taking.

The position you taking based on sample size of 15 people.

This is all i am saying.

I also believe you dishonestly doing shameless overestimate of '15-20' people who you can name to supporting your position. But i cannot proving this false information.

Yeah, whatevs. :rolleyes:
I guess a disrespect for women comes from not necessarily having no father in their life, but from the lack of a positive male influence in their life. If they seek a male model and base it on, for example, rappers who commonly refer to women negatively, they will mimic that behavior and think that is how men should act, say or be.

Even though their mother might teach them otherwise, because they want to be like a guy they'll copy other guys. That's why a lot of the time they'll profess to love their mum only but seemingly hate women - because that's what they've been taught. They really need other men teaching them to respect women, some positive male role models. Its sadly not enough to have evidence of a great woman because they'll believe she's some sort of exception if all signals from other men tell them to regard her as such.

Quick Reply

Latest