The Student Room Group

I dont know what to take I NEED HELP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pastaferian
Did you hear that from mathematicians or from people who don't like maths? It's hard for me to answer based on my own experience... I got a GCSE A* and I'm expecting an A/A* at A2.

If you drop maths, you are ruling out uni courses and careers that you've expressed an interest in. If you do maths, you may not enjoy it, and you may struggle to get a good grade (i.e., good enough for a future uni course). That's a tough choice. You'll have to decide the weightings yourself, but I'd say you should drop maths if you are having serious doubts about it.
thanks for the help, i have decided to take maths now :biggrin:
If you don't enjoy RE, do not take it.

You will regret it, it's not as if its of any use to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by RemiMarcelle
If you don't enjoy RE, do not take it.

You will regret it, it's not as if its of any use to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

im doing as re now, and its kind of interesting and not hard
Reply 23
Original post by unique_freak
not really sure if i have a mathmetical brain, im good at remembering stuff & what makes chemistry so hard

erm... I guess there's just a lot of it. There's so many specifics and exceptions unlike physics where it's just 'mesons are made of this, hadrons are made of that. No ifs, no buts'.

I've always been really temperamental about what I want to do long term, and I'm doing physics, maths, further maths and chemistry (I did Biology for a while) and it means that I can go into chemistry, biochemistry, physics, maths, economics, computer science. Apart from economics and maths, that list would be pretty similar without f maths.
Reply 24
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
English Lit

These will keep your options open for engineering and english lit is a strong essay subject so you can do almost anything with these:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
If you want to di engineering then U have to do maths , I would advise it anyway , tbh I depends on how you'll work , I've seen people get A at gcse and U at as , but I've seen others who work harder get as n bs , unless your EASILY getting 3 a*s in the sciences I wouldn't advise you to take all 3 probs just biology and physics , and another subject like physcology , eng lit or whatever . Do NOT TAKE RE.
Reply 26
Original post by wtpcarr
If you want to di engineering then U have to do maths , I would advise it anyway , tbh I depends on how you'll work , I've seen people get A at gcse and U at as , but I've seen others who work harder get as n bs , unless your EASILY getting 3 a*s in the sciences I wouldn't advise you to take all 3 probs just biology and physics , and another subject like physcology , eng lit or whatever . Do NOT TAKE RE.

but if i dont take chemistry wouldnt that limit my options? like I wouldnt be able to do pharmacy as i am considering it and i dont find the sciences hard right now. why shouldnt i take re
Reply 27
Original post by sarah09_
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
English Lit

These will keep your options open for engineering and english lit is a strong essay subject so you can do almost anything with these:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the help!
Reply 28
Original post by GoodDay
erm... I guess there's just a lot of it. There's so many specifics and exceptions unlike physics where it's just 'mesons are made of this, hadrons are made of that. No ifs, no buts'.

I've always been really temperamental about what I want to do long term, and I'm doing physics, maths, further maths and chemistry (I did Biology for a while) and it means that I can go into chemistry, biochemistry, physics, maths, economics, computer science. Apart from economics and maths, that list would be pretty similar without f maths.
thanks really helpful
Reply 29
tbh now i am 100% sure i have no idea what i want to do for a level and i have no idea of what id like to study anymore, so many off putting factors to consider
Reply 30
Anyone taking physics and/or maths and/or chemistry and/or biology could you tell me how hard it is please

Maths: If you've found GCSE very straightforward then you'll probably be fine at AS. However, if you're going to spend every lesson moaning things like "WHEN WILL DIFFERENTIATION EVER BE USEFUL IN MY LIFE OMG" then please don't take it.

Chemistry: Personally my hardest A Level... Involves a mixture of rote memorisation and problem solving/applying what you know to unfamiliar problems. There's some maths involved too.

Biology: Lots of memorisation of different processes, and cool long words like "carbaminohaemoglobin". If you find what you're learning interesting, and are good at memorising things, then it won't seem too hard. The exams focus a lot on application of knowledge though.

tbh now i am 100% sure i have no idea what i want to do for a level and i have no idea of what id like to study anymore, so many off putting factors to consider

What's making the choice difficult for you?

Do maths, physics, chemistry and biology - these are all strong STEM subjects that will allow you to study most things at university and are well respected. They are not soft options and universities/employers will respect you for that.

They also compliment each other very well - maths goes well with physics goes well with chemistry goes well with biology. Perfect!

I might be biased as I'm a scientist but I really do think studying sciences gives you more opportunities - even if you don't become a scientist in the end. With the skills you learn, you can become a lawyer, doctor, banker, dentist, engineer, accountant etc
Reply 32
Original post by suncake
Maths: If you've found GCSE very straightforward then you'll probably be fine at AS. However, if you're going to spend every lesson moaning things like "WHEN WILL DIFFERENTIATION EVER BE USEFUL IN MY LIFE OMG" then please don't take it.

Chemistry: Personally my hardest A Level... Involves a mixture of rote memorisation and problem solving/applying what you know to unfamiliar problems. There's some maths involved too.

Biology: Lots of memorisation of different processes, and cool long words like "carbaminohaemoglobin". If you find what you're learning interesting, and are good at memorising things, then it won't seem too hard. The exams focus a lot on application of knowledge though.

What's making the choice difficult for you?

i dont find maths right now too hard, some topics are easy some are harder to an extent , for me personally. yeah im good at memorising and applying stuff.
What makes the choice so difficult is my fear of failing. I hate doing things if im not sure it will turn out good. Also because i dont really 'like' any subject I dont know what to choose, seeing as thats how thats people choose a levels/careers.
Reply 33
Original post by SkinnyKat
Do maths, physics, chemistry and biology - these are all strong STEM subjects that will allow you to study most things at university and are well respected. They are not soft options and universities/employers will respect you for that.

They also compliment each other very well - maths goes well with physics goes well with chemistry goes well with biology. Perfect!

I might be biased as I'm a scientist but I really do think studying sciences gives you more opportunities - even if you don't become a scientist in the end. With the skills you learn, you can become a lawyer, doctor, banker, dentist, engineer, accountant etc

If i was a super freak genius I would take them most definitely, unfortunately im not, so im scared i will struggle too much.
Reply 34
Original post by upthegunners
Sciences and the mighty

I thought it = the radius squared, equation of a circle.
These are the range of subjects I know I will choose from - Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology,English literature and Religious studies. I don't really like any subject. However, i do find aspects of physics interesting.
I'm not really sure of what i wanna study, but for now I'm kind of interested in engineering and pharmacy.
I am also not really sure whether I should take maths or not because I am really scared I will fail, but that being said I will put in hard work when I do my a levels but I do have a tendency to be quite lazy.
My grades in these subjects so far are :
Maths - A (edexcel)
Chemistry - A (aqa triple science)
Biology - A*
Physics - A
English literature - A
RE - A*
So to conclude my question is what should I take for a level? and do you think I should take maths?
Id like honest opinions please!!

Do these.
Original post by shahbaz
I thought it = the radius squared, equation of a circle.

Spoiler

Reply 37
Original post by upthegunners

Spoiler

That comes up in GCSEs too..
Original post by SheldonWannabe
If you're getting A's at GCSE, you'll be fine.
I think if you're willing to put the effort in, A Level maths isn't all that difficult.

GCSEs aren't that great an indicator of ability in A-Level(Although getting A's does show that you have some ability).

However I agree that its really about how much work you put in, and you can still get top grades even if you aren't "gifted" at Maths.

To answer the question though, I think you need to weight up the pros and cons of each A-Level and decide on that, and what you want to do after A-levels.
These are the range of subjects I know I will choose from - Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology,English literature and Religious studies. I don't really like any subject. However, i do find aspects of physics interesting.
I'm not really sure of what i wanna study, but for now I'm kind of interested in engineering and pharmacy.
I am also not really sure whether I should take maths or not because I am really scared I will fail, but that being said I will put in hard work when I do my a levels but I do have a tendency to be quite lazy.
My grades in these subjects so far are :
Maths - A (edexcel)
Chemistry - A (aqa triple science)
Biology - A*
Physics - A
English literature - A
RE - A*
So to conclude my question is what should I take for a level? and do you think I should take maths?
Id like honest opinions please!!

I only got a B at GCSE and I got a B at AS level so I think you should be fine. It is a lot of work though but then again so are most A-levels :smile: I do chemistry, biology and physics as well and I love them and as long as you're willing to put the work in you should do quite well.

Oh and if you want to do pharmacy definitely do chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest