The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Facebook Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by dark-blue
I like ducks! :u:

I'm still a little confused as to degree classses, if I'm honest. I get how they work, but considering that different unis have different assessment methods I don't really see how we can accurately compare across institutions. But yeah, taking the two you listed (which are quite popular for my course as well) Durham's course didn't seem as diverse to me and is predominantly exam based, whilst I'm not too keen on Warwick's location. Reputation is variable, but all three are very good.

It must be quite a big change moving away from London - the thought of living there terrifies me, so I didn't apply to any of the London unis. But I guess it would be a very varied existene, with the mix of cultures etc. I live in a smallish town at the moment, so whilst York will be a step up as a city, I like that it seems a bi more friendly/ quiet than other ones.

I like change! Bring it on :biggrin: I will definitely come back to London after I go to UNI - for Law its where all the best jobs are, but I rather like a city that has less hustle and bustle, less pollution and less noise, etc!

Accommodation prices at the LSE are double the most expensive single York room as well, so York for what I am used to seems very reasonably priced.

I agree that Coventry is a hell hole. It just seems such a miserable place to live haha. Cities are a bit dodgy for going out at night as well, a lot of the time, there is a lot of tension between those who aren't students and those that are. York is a bit different in the sense that it is mostly all students so this shouldn't be a problem :smile:
University of York
York
I'd be up for joining a 13/14 York Freshers page, but how awkward would it be if you get on great with a load of people that go to York, and then miss your offer D:
Reply 22
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
I'd be up for joining a 13/14 York Freshers page, but how awkward would it be if you get on great with a load of people that go to York, and then miss your offer D:

That is exactly my train of thought haha, I am going to wait till after August personally before I do any of that, besides I think deleting my Facebook at the moment would probably be more beneficial for me! Currently I spend more time chatting than I do revising.
Original post by SimpleTom
That is exactly my train of thought haha, I am going to wait till after August personally before I do any of that, besides I think deleting my Facebook at the moment would probably be more beneficial for me! Currently I spend more time chatting than I do revising.

I should hear about whether I'll get the funding to go to York this week. Tell you what, if I get it, then I'll set up the Facebook page.

Can't be too difficult (famous last words).
Reply 24
Original post by Drunk In Time!
I should hear about whether I'll get the funding to go to York this week. Tell you what, if I get it, then I'll set up the Facebook page.

Can't be too difficult (famous last words).

When do we apply for funding, I don't really know how it works. I am very fortunate in the sense that my parents are paying for my UNI fees and accommodation but people are still telling me to apply for funding regardless.

So confused! :s-smilie:
When do we apply for funding, I don't really know how it works. I am very fortunate in the sense that my parents are paying for my UNI fees and accommodation but people are still telling me to apply for funding regardless.

So confused! :s-smilie:

No, no. I'm a postgraduate.

Sorry, didn't want to worry you, bud.
Reply 26
No, no. I'm a postgraduate.

Sorry, didn't want to worry you, bud.

Not to worry, what are you looking to study?
Not to worry, what are you looking to study?

I'm a Medievalist.

What about you?

I can see your logic, haha. I wish I had the willpower to deactivate my facebook, but I'm irrevocably attached to it - it's a disease.
I'm a Medievalist.

Hey, sorry to dive into the conversation, but I'm a UG History applicant, and I'm hugely into medieval history. Which particular area are you focussing on?
Reply 30
I'm a Medievalist.

What about you?

A law student. I hope at least come October!
Hey, sorry to dive into the conversation, but I'm a UG History applicant, and I'm hugely into medieval history. Which particular area are you focussing on?

Hey, hey! Good man.

I'm a late medievalist, by trade. My thesis will focus on Military Retinues and Social Networking the 14th Century.

I didn't go to York as an undergrad, but the faculty is top-notch. Mark Ormrod and Jonathan Finch (who is an archaeologist) are fantastic. Craig Taylor also. You've made a good choice, my friend.

What areas of Medieval History are you interested in?

Word of warning: based on you name, I'm assuming you are staunchly atheistic? If so, there is a lot of religion in Medieval History. You can, as I have, focus on the secular aspects of it. However, its important to understand the religious stuff - and having a sound knowledge of Catholicism can certainly allow you to see and connect things up that otherwise you wouldn't (sorry I'm not being very clear). Annoyingly, I always forget about that stuff, which has caused me bother in the past.
A law student. I hope at least come October!

Cool!

Well, you seem a driven and intelligent fellow. I'm sure you'll make it.

As an added incentive for you: in my experience, female law students are frequently EXTREMELY attractive, not to mention very, very clever.
Hey, hey! Good man.

I'm a late medievalist, by trade. My thesis will focus on Military Retinues and Social Networking the 14th Century.

I didn't go to York as an undergrad, but the faculty is top-notch. Mark Ormrod and Jonathan Finch (who is an archaeologist) are fantastic. Craig Taylor also. You've made a good choice, my friend.

What areas of Medieval History are you interested in?

Word of warning: based on you name, I'm assuming you are staunchly atheistic? If so, there is a lot of religion in Medieval History. You can, as I have, focus on the secular aspects of it. However, its important to understand the religious stuff - and having a sound knowledge of Catholicism can certainly allow you to see and connect things up that otherwise you wouldn't (sorry I'm not being very clear). Annoyingly, I always forget about that stuff, which has caused me bother in the past.

Oh, that sounds quite interesting, if a bit too scholarly for me (so far).

the UG history course allows you to do some units in complementary disciplines, and I'm strongly considering doing a unit in archaeology because it seems like such a large aspect of primary source material the further back you go.

I'm particularly interested in Viking conquest in Britain and France, which is partly why I'm attracted to archaelogy too. Neil Oliver did an interesting 3 part documentary on the Vikings and I've just finished reading his book, and he looks at it from an archaeological (and TV-friendly, admittedly) perspective, which I enjoyed.

The launch is a bit misleading. I made a TSR account a while ago... militaristic atheism was a phase of mine, haha. I've been going to a Catholic school (and still do) since reception, so I think I'm pretty well endowed on the Catholicism front. I get what you mean though: I've been doing a lot of early-modern stuff at A-level (Henrician and Marian reformations, amongst other stuff), so I can entirely see your point. Hopefully I'll be ok :colondollar:
Oh, that sounds quite interesting, if a bit too scholarly for me (so far).

the UG history course allows you to do some units in complementary disciplines, and I'm strongly considering doing a unit in archaeology because it seems like such a large aspect of primary source material the further back you go.

I'm particularly interested in Viking conquest in Britain and France, which is partly why I'm attracted to archaelogy too. Neil Oliver did an interesting 3 part documentary on the Vikings and I've just finished reading his book, and he looks at it from an archaeological (and TV-friendly, admittedly) perspective, which I enjoyed.

The launch is a bit misleading. I made a TSR account a while ago... militaristic atheism was a phase of mine, haha. I've been going to a Catholic school (and still do) since reception, so I think I'm pretty well endowed on the Catholicism front. I get what you mean though: I've been doing a lot of early-modern stuff at A-level (Henrician and Marian reformations, amongst other stuff), so I can entirely see your point. Hopefully I'll be ok :colondollar:

Your Catholic schooling certainly equips you better than most for Medieval study - me included. Nice one!

Yes, archaeology is definitely important, especially when there is little or no written sources. As I have mentioned before to someone, Medieval study trains you to be good with your sources - you really work to get the most out of them. If you focus on later periods, with the comparative glut of sources, you can get a bit wasteful.

Hate to say it, if you wanted to study Viking's, the course at Hull Uni is the best. The Maritime History that is offered there is the best in the land and offers an interesting perspective on History. The guy who teaches you about the Vikings is called Dr Richard Gorski. He is brilliant and a top fella! He also looks like a Viking with glasses! Quite happy that I know him as well as I do.

Besides Vikings, what else interests you?
Your Catholic schooling certainly equips you better than most for Medieval study - me included. Nice one!

Yes, archaeology is definitely important, especially when there is little or no written sources. As I have mentioned before to someone, Medieval study trains you to be good with your sources - you really work to get the most out of them. If you focus on later periods, with the comparative glut of sources, you can get a bit wasteful.

Hate to say it, if you wanted to study Viking's, the course at Hull Uni is the best. The Maritime History that is offered there is the best in the land and offers an interesting perspective on History. The guy who teaches you about the Vikings is called Dr Richard Gorski. He is brilliant and a top fella! He also looks like a Viking with glasses! Quite happy that I know him as well as I do.

Besides Vikings, what else interests you?

Archeology should be fun then, I just hope it's not too science heavy. I've never been great with all those funny symbols and numbers.

It's a shame I didn't apply to Hull then, but my interests are broad enough that I'm happy enough to sacrifice it. I say this now, as a fresh faced 18 year old, but I am contemplating PG study, so perhaps Dr. Gorski remains an option in the future.

I've only read sparsely on the medieval front, but Anglo-Saxon England and Northern Europe in general in the earlier medieval period capture my interest. Saying that, I'm also interested in military history and read an fascinating analysis of the tactics of Crècy and Poitiers. I know it's not medieval and probably not encompassed in a history degree at all, but I retain interest in Celtic and 'barbarian' European tribes too.

To be honest, I'm yet to study a period of history that I find particularly boring.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Archeology should be fun then, I just hope it's not too science heavy. I've never been great with all those funny symbols and numbers.

It's a shame I didn't apply to Hull then, but my interests are broad enough that I'm happy enough to sacrifice it. I say this now, as a fresh faced 18 year old, but I am contemplating PG study, so perhaps Dr. Gorski remains an option in the future.

I've only read sparsely on the medieval front, but Anglo-Saxon England and Northern Europe in general in the earlier medieval period capture my interest. Saying that, I'm also interested in military history and read an fascinating analysis of the tactics of Crècy and Poitiers. I know it's not medieval and probably not encompassed in a history degree at all, but I retain interest in Celtic and 'barbarian' European tribes too.

To be honest, I'm yet to study a period of history that I find particularly boring.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

This analysis of Crecy and Poitiers, it wasn't by Andrew Ayton was it?

The whole postgrad thing is complicated. If you can afford the cost, without having to rely on a scholarship, then the world is pretty much your oyster. Hull has many things going for it, and its postgraduate History is shockingly good. Trouble is, it doesn't generally offer any funding.

Gorski is worth meeting/contacting. Actually, generally speaking, if there is any academic that really impresses you (with the possible exception of the really famous ones), if you send them an e-mail asking for advice etc, they'll probably reply and be happy to give you a hand.

Post-Roman Barbarian stuff is great! I did a bit of that in my 2nd year. Don't know if York does it. Worth it if it does.

Pre-Roman stuff, is also terrific. Again, don't know if York does it.

Come to think of it, I should probably start looking up what York DOES teach its Undergrad Historians... I'm probably going to be teaching them soon.
Reply 37
Cool!

Well, you seem a driven and intelligent fellow. I'm sure you'll make it.

As an added incentive for you: in my experience, female law students are frequently EXTREMELY attractive, not to mention very, very clever.

Why thank you! :biggrin:

Shhh, don't let my girlfriend see this haha. :biggrin:
Why thank you! :biggrin:

Shhh, don't let my girlfriend see this haha. :biggrin:

Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't know you had a girlfriend.
In which case, if you could introduce me... ?
Reply 39
Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't know you had a girlfriend.
In which case, if you could introduce me... ?

I can't foresee myself maintaining a relationship living so far away from London to be honest.

So no problem, you can be my wingman up in York :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest