The Student Room Group

71% in a pastpaper..enough time to get an A

i got 71% in an OCR F211 biology paper tonight

Those of you who got A at the end of ASlevel, what were you getting around this time? My exam is on the 21st May.

I would like a high A (90UMS+) to make A2 easier for me :smile:

Reply 1
about 75% in F211, 90%+ in F212 and I got around a 90% avg. for my AS. It's really nice not to worry at A2 because now I'm in the position where I can get a C in my final exam and still get an A overall.
Reply 2
Original post by alow
about 75% in F211, 90%+ in F212 and I got around a 90% avg. for my AS. It's really nice not to worry at A2 because now I'm in the position where I can get a C in my final exam and still get an A overall.

What were you getting in practice papers around this time? (1.5months to exam)
Reply 3
Original post by upthegunners
What were you getting in practice papers around this time? (1.5months to exam)

75% F211, 90% F212

ended up with 82% F211 and 90% F212
Reply 4
Original post by alow
75% F211, 90% F212

ended up with 82% F211 and 90% F212

How did you do that? I worked my ass off all year and struggle to get above 70% in Biology

Tips?
Reply 5
How did you do that? I worked my ass off all year and struggle to get above 70% in Biology

Tips?

Don't bother just reading a textbook without doing every end of topic and end of unit questions, use all of the appropriate questions from the legacy papers as well as the current specification and dont let all of the suggest questions they put in worry you, half of them are taught within the specification.
Reply 6
Original post by alow
Don't bother just reading a textbook without doing every end of topic and end of unit questions, use all of the appropriate questions from the legacy papers as well as the current specification and dont let all of the suggest questions they put in worry you, half of them are taught within the specification.

I actually have all the legacy papers printed but quite a lot is unnecessary :tongue:

Thanks for the advice buddy :smile:
Reply 7
I actually have all the legacy papers printed but quite a lot is unnecessary :tongue:

Thanks for the advice buddy :smile:

Yeah, they changed the content loads but at least there is still some good questions in there.

Thats okay, anytime :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by alow
Yeah, they changed the content loads but at least there is still some good questions in there.

Thats okay, anytime :smile:

How many times did you do each past paper? :smile:
Don't worry about it, I used to get B's in practice papers and mocks last year too, but I ended up getting high As in my exams (89% in F211 and 93% in F212). Just make sure you understand the whole book before attempting any questions, also after you've finished past papers make a list of topics you're weak at and revise/ try to understand them again. Then attempt another past paper and see where your weak areas are this time and etc.

Good luck! :smile:
guys how did you get the legacy papers, aqa don't have them on the website anymore?!
You've got plenty of time. I had other exams so I didn't start reviving until 10 days before the exam (at which point I was getting high Cs / low Bs) and I ended up with 94% UMS. As long as you are willing to put the work in you could go up to an A in a week or so. 1.5 months is more than enough.
Original post by tammie123
Don't worry about it, I used to get B's in practice papers and mocks last year too, but I ended up getting high As in my exams (89% in F211 and 93% in F212). Just make sure you understand the whole book before attempting any questions, also after you've finished past papers make a list of topics you're weak at and revise/ try to understand them again. Then attempt another past paper and see where your weak areas are this time and etc.

Good luck! :smile:

wow, thanks :smile:

Well done! Everyone seems to do better in F212! They are so specific in the markscheme..like..so specific :lol:
Reply 13
i got 71% in an OCR F211 biology paper tonight

Those of you who got A at the end of ASlevel, what were you getting around this time? My exam is on the 21st May.

I would like a high A (90UMS+) to make A2 easier for me :smile:

Easily, slog it out: a friend of mine got an E the day before a physics exam and he worked really hard that day and got an A. Obviously Biology is a different cup of tea, however its not impossible.

One thing which I have to say is, it may be more useful revising harder for f212. Its 50% and if you play your cards right full UMS is easily attainable
Original post by BIG Y
Easily, slog it out: a friend of mine got an E the day before a physics exam and he worked really hard that day and got an A. Obviously Biology is a different cup of tea, however its not impossible.

One thing which I have to say is, it may be more useful revising harder for f212. Its 50% and if you play your cards right full UMS is easily attainable

Do not believe this. However your in a position to be able to get 93.6925% exactly no more or less

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UnknownError
Do not believe this. However your in a position to be able to get 93.6925% exactly no more or less

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quit trolling, kid.
Original post by BIG Y

thanks :smile: It's not as if I have slacked all year.. I have worked my butt off from september but yet I still can't get good marks in OCR Biology papers. I Know most of the content, I just can't apply it for ****
Reply 17
thanks :smile: It's not as if I have slacked all year.. I have worked my butt off from september but yet I still can't get good marks in OCR Biology papers. I Know most of the content, I just can't apply it for ****

A tip for when it comes to applying it is literally just do past papers (old spec in particular). A lot of the old questions as relatively useful things. They really get you to think about what the examiner wants you to say. Another thing about the old spec papers is that they recycle questions. In F214 which I took in Jan, there was a question I recognised from the old spec and to be honest I wouldn't have been completly sure how to answer it. Having done the old spec question it helped me answer it.

All the best!
Original post by BIG Y
A tip for when it comes to applying it is literally just do past papers (old spec in particular). A lot of the old questions as relatively useful things. They really get you to think about what the examiner wants you to say. Another thing about the old spec papers is that they recycle questions. In F214 which I took in Jan, there was a question I recognised from the old spec and to be honest I wouldn't have been completly sure how to answer it. Having done the old spec question it helped me answer it.

All the best!

thanks pal :smile: really appreciate that.

I just find it really hard to write in words what I am thinking, hence why I am dropping biology and taking up FM next year :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending