The Student Room Group

History or English Literature as a fourth A level subject?!

So I want to study medicine in university and have picked maths, biology and chemistry as my three main a level subjects. However I can't decide whether to pick history or English literature as a fourth a level?

Which one goes better with my other choices? Also if anyone is studying both history and English literature at a-level, which one in your opinion is more interesting and why?

Thanks!
Reply 1
I study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit. English is good and I imagine it's less work than history, though I can't really comment as I don't take both. They are both respected, strong essay subjects so will both go well with your other choices so pick the one you think you'll enjoy most as either one would be a good choice:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In contrast I do biology maths chemistry and History, it is a of work, no getting away from it, but if you're not ready to work why take any a levels.
Also I think History is much more interesting, these things actually happened!! sometimes I need to remind myself that, because it can get pretty crazy.
Original post by sarah09_
I study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Lit. English is good and I imagine it's less work than history, though I can't really comment as I don't take both. They are both respected, strong essay subjects so will both go well with your other choices so pick the one you think you'll enjoy most as either one would be a good choice:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Thanks :smile: I like both subjects and I'm predicted A*'s in both for GCSE which is why I'm finding it so difficult to chose..how hard is it to get an A in English Literature at a level?
Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
In contrast I do biology maths chemistry and History, it is a of work, no getting away from it, but if you're not ready to work why take any a levels.
Also I think History is much more interesting, these things actually happened!! sometimes I need to remind myself that, because it can get pretty crazy.

Thanks for the reply! :smile: A lot of people have told me its near enough impossible to get an A or A* at a level history, is it really that hard? I'm prepared to work for it either way but people make it sound so abnormally hard!
Reply 5
Original post by strawberries123
Hey! Thanks :smile: I like both subjects and I'm predicted A*'s in both for GCSE which is why I'm finding it so difficult to chose..how hard is it to get an A in English Literature at a level?

If you get an A* I think you should be able to get an A, although English can sometimes produce 'random' results which can be annoying. I don't think it's much harder than gcse (relative to science and maths) you just have to get used to writing your essays in a different way. A-level also place more emphasis on the way you write your essays than gcse so you have to be fairly good at writing too. Alternatively, can you not take both and drop one after a few weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sarah09_
If you get an A* I think you should be able to get an A, although English can sometimes produce 'random' results which can be annoying. I don't think it's much harder than gcse (relative to science and maths) you just have to get used to writing your essays in a different way. A-level also place more emphasis on the way you write your essays than gcse so you have to be fairly good at writing too. Alternatively, can you not take both and drop one after a few weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure, but that's a good idea, I'll ask my teachers, thankyou!
Thanks for the reply! :smile: A lot of people have told me its near enough impossible to get an A or A* at a level history, is it really that hard? I'm prepared to work for it either way but people make it sound so abnormally hard!

By no stretch of the imagination is it impossible, but I think history is one of those subjects where a good teacher is vital to doing well.
I'd say History. It's really interesting and from your other choices it's evident that you'll be going into sciences anyway, so you don't need the English you just need (or so you feel) a contrasting subject.

You should definitely opt for history!
Reply 9
I don't take either, but I'll say that all my friends who took English lit are dropping it next year. Every single one. They really hate it. They find it really difficult and dull. It might be the exam board and books that they're studying but they all hate it here.

My friends that take history really like it. It's loads of work, they have essays every week, but they find it much more interesting.

As for it being impossible to get A in history, of the people I know, no one has lower than a B in history, but no one has higher than a C in English lit. So English lit seems harder.

This is all just based on my group of friends and my college though, so you'd be best to ask year 12s and 13s at the sixth form you're applying to. They can be more specific about the work you'll be doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm doing your subjects! Do history! It's much better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey thanks for all the advice guys, its very much appreciated!! :smile: History is definitely one of my favorite subjects at the moment, so I think I'm just going to go for it...
i did chemistry biology english and history last year and dropped biology...

overall it depends on your curriculum and exam boards however i found the content in english much more enjoyable and my particular exam board (ocr) made coursework 40% so it was easier to get an A which for medicine I assume is essential if not beneficial to your application.

it really depends on you as a person as well; if you're an all rounder then it doesn't matter which one you go for as either won't hinder you but history a level is very different to gcse; my friend who does biology chemistry and history at A2 really struggles with it and is getting mid B's at the moment despite getting an A* at gcse.

i cant really think which one translates better into medicine/healthcare and would compliment your other studies best though, although like i previously mentioned if the coursework is a high percentage then there's less pressure on your english exam and more time to revise for the more important subjects that you'll actually need.
Reply 13
Hmm id say take literature because history has alot of memorization unlike literature, and your other two a levels have alot of memorizing.

I'm choosing biology, art, geography and stuck between literature and history.
It really depends on the exam boards. I took both English Lit and History.

I say if you don't mind reading and rereading your texts then go for English Lit. To me, History was A LOT more information I had to consume, which put me off studying it further, so I dropped it in January, even though I was getting Bs in my essays (with revision).

I think when it comes to revision for English Lit, it's hard because there's no real 'direct' approach to revising for it. This is where Lit becomes hard.

History we did War; Crimean, Boar and WW1 for one unit and Fascist in Italy for another. Exam board: Edexcel.

English Lit was WW1 Literature which I HATE with every bone in my body. I've honestly had enough studying how countless men got blown up and crap! It just becomes so repetitive reading similar things! I love English Lit as a whole though, prefer the poetry even though I struggle with poetry.
Exam board: AQA, Spec A.

I personally go for English Lit cause in comparison with History, there is less information you have to remember!

Make sure you come back in September/October to tell us what you picked and which one you prefer and so forth! I'm sure we will all be interested to hear!
englit
Reply 16
So I want to study medicine in university and have picked maths, biology and chemistry as my three main a level subjects. However I can't decide whether to pick history or English literature as a fourth a level?

Which one goes better with my other choices? Also if anyone is studying both history and English literature at a-level, which one in your opinion is more interesting and why?

Thanks!

I am studying both history and English and will study the former at university. Even though I obviously think it's a great subject, I actually found both A-level courses equally enjoyable. I know someone who is at Cambridge doing med having studied History as their fourth; similarly, another is at Nottingham with English fourth. You couldn't go wrong, but I do think that it's great to have a subject that is a little different from the others. Best of luck deciding :smile:
I do both and I absolutely hate English Lit. - it takes up soooo much of your time. Basically, it's an absolute waste of time, I really regret taking it. Go for History. It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination but it's much better than English Lit.
Original post by Cool_JordH
It really depends on the exam boards. I took both English Lit and History.

I say if you don't mind reading and rereading your texts then go for English Lit. To me, History was A LOT more information I had to consume, which put me off studying it further, so I dropped it in January, even though I was getting Bs in my essays (with revision).

I think when it comes to revision for English Lit, it's hard because there's no real 'direct' approach to revising for it. This is where Lit becomes hard.

History we did War; Crimean, Boar and WW1 for one unit and Fascist in Italy for another. Exam board: Edexcel.

English Lit was WW1 Literature which I HATE with every bone in my body. I've honestly had enough studying how countless men got blown up and crap! It just becomes so repetitive reading similar things! I love English Lit as a whole though, prefer the poetry even though I struggle with poetry.
Exam board: AQA, Spec A.

I personally go for English Lit cause in comparison with History, there is less information you have to remember!

Make sure you come back in September/October to tell us what you picked and which one you prefer and so forth! I'm sure we will all be interested to hear!

Hey! Thanks for the advice :smile: haha, yeah I'll let you all know what I go for!
Hiya everyone! Thanks for all the replies! :smile: I've got my induction day soon for sixth form so I'm thinking I might just find out more about what sort of things they'll teach me for both subjects then decide which one I may enjoy more. I'm also thinking of doing an EPQ alongside my a-levels, have any of you done one before or do you know anyone that has? If so then it is difficult to cope with alongside the rest of your a levels?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest