The Student Room Group

Will retaking a year affect the grades i'll need to get into uni?

hello, help please!
I want to do Marine Biology at uni, not sure where yet but I am in year 12.

I currently do Biology, Psychology, English and critical thinking and in the January modules I got a U in Biology and C's in psychology and crit thinking.
For many unis to do marine biology they want two sciences not counting psychology.
If I drop Critical thinking and English at the end of this year, and next year take Biology and Psychology A2, while doing another science AS then complete the science A2 the following year (+ any modules I fail again) will this affect the grades I will need to get into a good uni?
:s-smilie:
if anyone knows anything it would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
Some unis will require your exams to be done within 2 years, but some aren't so picky about it. Probably best to look at where you want to go and ask them directly :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LottieMcPhillips
hello, help please!
I want to do Marine Biology at uni, not sure where yet but I am in year 12.

I currently do Biology, Psychology, English and critical thinking and in the January modules I got a U in Biology and C's in psychology and crit thinking.
For many unis to do marine biology they want two sciences not counting psychology.
If I drop Critical thinking and English at the end of this year, and next year take Biology and Psychology A2, while doing another science AS then complete the science A2 the following year (+ any modules I fail again) will this affect the grades I will need to get into a good uni?
:s-smilie:
if anyone knows anything it would be much appreciated!

Depends on the university. Some aren't fussy about it and some are. I did a 3rd year of A-Levels in 2010-11 and got offers that UCAS cycle from Leeds, Birmingham, UEA, Portsmouth and Nottingham Trent - they all gave me the standard offer, nothing higher. Some universities however warned they might give the higher offer, the ones I remember being Manchester and Queen Mary- it said this on their course profiles. And some universities said that a 3rd year of A-Levels was a no-no when people on here emailed them- they were Edinburgh, St Andrews, UCL and LSE
Reply 3
It took me three attempts at completing my extended diploma in applied science which I finally left with DDD* this year but without my maths and English GCSE. My requirement was DDM and a C or above in the maths and English for marine biology and oceanography at plymouth. When a level results came out Thursday my offer was changed to unconditional although I still have not had my GCSE results. So I would say it really depends on the individual and how much they want to do their chosen subject and if it shows in their personal statement. I'm now 20 and just starting uni. Good luck with everything and hope it works out for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending