The Student Room Group

Christian and non Christian friends!

I am a born again Christian and have been for quite some time. I have a good circle of Christian friend but also have some non Christian friends sometimes i find it hard being as close to them as my Christian friends. Any tips on how I can maybe get along better with them and maybe get them involved with Christian activities such as scripture union?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Without meaning to be nasty here.

Stop and think for a moment, how would you feel if your non-christian friends tried to get you to attend a Humanist discussion group every week?

That aside, just find common interests, though there is nothing wrong with having the bulk of your friends share your faith.
Original post by racheyy1997
I am a born again Christian and have been for quite some time. I have a good circle of Christian friend but also have some non Christian friends sometimes i find it hard being as close to them as my Christian friends. Any tips on how I can maybe get along better with them and maybe get them involved with Christian activities such as scripture union?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you need to get your non-Christian friends involved in Christian activities?

It's people like you that make the rest of us Christians look bad.

Can't you just accept them for who they are without trying to convert them?

As a Christian it annoys me so much when my fellow Christians are hounding me, trying to get me to go to the Christian Union, so I can only imagine how annoying it must be for a non-Christian.

Faith is a personal thing, don't shove yours down others' throats.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I agree with the person above but just not in such an aggressive way. I dont think you make the rest of us look bad, but i think that just as they clearly respect your beliefs about religion, you equally should respect their beliefs of agnosticism or atheism. You dont want to push them into Christian activity - if they wanted to, they would come forward to try it themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should they go to any Christian activities? I assume they don't try to convince you to go to atheist discussions.

Maybe you're just a bad friend.
Reply 5
Don't be pushy with them.
Reply 6
I completely understand what you guys are sayin. I'll take those points on board. I suppose the best thing I cud do is just be there for them, respect them for who they are and what they believe. I suppose I shud just take things as they come and let everything be. :smile: thanks guys and poppy I guess your especially right I shudnt force anything on anybody.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Popppppy
Why do you need to get your non-Christian friends involved in Christian activities?
It's people like you that make the rest of us Christians look bad.
Can't you just accept them for who they are without trying to convert them?
As a Christian it annoys me so much when my fellow Christians are hounding me, trying to get me to go to the Christian Union, so I can only imagine how annoying it must be for a non-Christian.
Faith is a personal thing, don't shove yours down others' throats.

^^This. Can't understand why you've been neg'd twice. PRSOM, but you don't seem to need extra reps :smile:
I have the opposite problem - a Christian friend who takes every opportunity to try to convert me.

I do understand that if you genuinely believe in God to you it must be the most important thing in the world. That's where religion differs from Atheism - I don't really care if my friends are religious, but in a seriously religious world view it takes a lot more to be tolerant.

However, whatever you believe about them, if you want to remain friends you will have to try to take religion out of the picture. They won't be easily convinced, and nor should you try to convince them. If this means that you are only comfortable around other Christians that's fine, but I don't think that in Christianity there's anything wrong with being friends with well meaning non-believers. Alternatively, you could all enjoy a healthy debate :smile:

Edit: Just seen that most of these points have been made. Ah well, good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Sometimes it does be a little tough with my non Christian friends as they sometimes don't understand wee things that Christians do then they ask a lot of questions I do like when they ask questions but sometimes it's awkward cus I don't always no what answer to give them. But I try to be understanding with them and help them when they do ask questions. (That probably didn't make sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I went to a Christian thing once at the behest of a friend. Free Tea and Biscuits after the talk. It was a pretty sweet deal. Totally disagreed with the message of the sermon though. I doubt you'll change your friend's opinion, and if you start trying to convert them, they'll probably get bored and annoyed with you :smile:
Reply 11
Umm the free tae an biscuits is good :wink: lol awk I guess we all have our own opinions on this stuff. But I Wundt ever try to convert my friends but I wud want to be a good influence on them ya kno. I Wundt want to see anything bad happen them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Umm the free tae an biscuits is good :wink: lol awk I guess we all have our own opinions on this stuff. But I Wundt ever try to convert my friends but I wud want to be a good influence on them ya kno. I Wundt want to see anything bad happen them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but what you perceive as a "good influence", they'll perceive as you being a busy-body Christian trying to convert them.

If you want to keep them as friend, do not mention inviting them to any sort of pro-Christian activity. I would cut off contact with any friend who did that to me.
Reply 13
Yea so u wud recommend jus no religion atall? I do be under pressure sometimes as I'm the one all my friends come to when they have a problem. Should I leave things like prayer out of that? Like praying for or with them wen they come to me with a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why aren't you as close with your non Christian friends?
Reply 15
I'm not quite sure what it is but I think it's the fact that they sometimes be out on weekends ya kno doin stuff that they shouldn't b cus they r underage and they can't rele understand why I won't do it either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea so u wud recommend jus no religion atall? I do be under pressure sometimes as I'm the one all my friends come to when they have a problem. Should I leave things like prayer out of that? Like praying for or with them wen they come to me with a problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, no religion at all. Just don't talk about your religion with them.
For God's sake, don't mention bloody prayer. They don't believe in it, why on earth would you mention it?
Reply 17
Thanks for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I am a Muslim and one of my best friends is a practicing Christian. And we learn of eachother and it's not a negative ie as a Muslim we have to pray 5 times a day whenever I am with my friend this reminds her to pray and be thankful to her god to 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not quite sure what it is but I think it's the fact that they sometimes be out on weekends ya kno doin stuff that they shouldn't b cus they r underage and they can't rele understand why I won't do it either

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't judge them for that. They probably don't want to partake in your religious activities for reasons you won't understand. As long as none of you are arrogant and judge each other you can still be friends.

Can you quote me if you reply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending