The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Linear Maths HELP

I was wondering what would be the most effecient way that I could revise an entire two year maths syllabus for my exam in the Summer. There's two papers; a calculator paper and a non-calaculator paper both within the space of a few days, as a result there is alot of content to cover:frown: I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for revision as the two maths exam coincides with other topic subjects that requires revision. ANY help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Snowy
Reply 1
Well what im doing is past papers without help and using the mark scheme to see how i have done and to write out the things i need to know that i dont know so that i know what my revision needs to focus on. There are many websites eg MyMaths and videos to help you revise as well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Joey2013
Well what im doing is past papers without help and using the mark scheme to see how i have done and to write out the things i need to know that i dont know so that i know what my revision needs to focus on. There are many websites eg MyMaths and videos to help you revise as well :smile:

I was going through the entire HUGE maths book for it, but I don't think thats very effecient at all..:frown: hmm..Should I just do the questions and past papers, then if I get stuck just look back at the book?
Reply 3
Original post by snowy africa
I was going through the entire HUGE maths book for it, but I don't think thats very effecient at all..:frown: hmm..Should I just do the questions and past papers, then if I get stuck just look back at the book?

Yeah thats what i was saying :smile: do the past papers and then go to the chapters where you are seeing the main points dropped :smile:

What sort of grade are you looking for?
Reply 4
My revision for maths has always been working through past papers slowly; don't skip a question if you can't do it! Use mymaths if you can; it's really helpful and has lots of example questions similar to the ones you'll find in an exam. I did edexcel linear and it's not nice cramming it all in but it's just about applying the knowledge you've gained over the past two years.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Joey2013
Yeah thats what i was saying :smile: do the past papers and then go to the chapters where you are seeing the main points dropped :smile:

What sort of grade are you looking for?

I'm looking for an A.(: Why?
Reply 6
Original post by elise31
My revision for maths has always been working through past papers slowly; don't skip a question if you can't do it! Use mymaths if you can; it's really helpful and has lots of example questions similar to the ones you'll find in an exam. I did edexcel linear and it's not nice cramming it all in but it's just about applying the knowledge you've gained over the past two years.

Good luck!

Okay, thank you! There's alot to go over! Omg.
Reply 7
Past papers
Reply 8
Original post by snowy africa
I was wondering what would be the most effecient way that I could revise an entire two year maths syllabus for my exam in the Summer. There's two papers; a calculator paper and a non-calaculator paper both within the space of a few days, as a result there is alot of content to cover:frown: I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for revision as the two maths exam coincides with other topic subjects that requires revision. ANY help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Snowy

I used Mathswatch and then practised lots of past papers in timed conditions and this is how i got an A*, if I can get an A* i'm sure you can.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Past papers and MathsWatch is the BEST method.
Reply 10
Hey :smile:

i sat those exams in february, so there was a lot less stress around it compared with the amount i suspect there will be when we have to do exams in summer so i had the chance to really focus on maths.

My revision basically started with me going to the library with my cgp revision guide and my maths book and going over each page. the pages i thought i knew pretty well i did very little or no work on and when i came across something i didnt know so well i would take a highlighter and highlight the key information on the page (make sure it's only your revision book though haha).

I'd then try and write that information down on some paper from memory and just keep going over it. I'd do some questions on it, but in my opinion the principal that teachers have of doing five zillion questions on one topic doesn't work because you begin to do the method robotically without thinking, and when it comes to remembering how to do it next time you cant.

once id done some work on the bits i really needed help on i'd go back to the beginning and do some highlighting, writing and one or two questions on the bits i thought i knew but didn't know them as well as the things i'd just learnt. the closer and closer you get to the exam the more evenly your knowledge will be spread, just keep going over the book and even in the end just reading through and absorbing information.

It seems as though it takes a long time, but believe me it is a lot quicker than you think. Oh and also, if you really have no clue on a topic, i found this cd rom thing sooooooo helpful as it takes you through the bit step by step and explains questions as well as giving you a few to try. I got it for a fiver at my school but idk where you can get it apart from ebay and possibly amazon where it's from £5-£20. it's called Maths Watch GCSE, it's def worth it!

sorry for babbling hahha, hope i helped though!

and also i'm getting my results on thurs so ill let you know if my revision worked hahaaa

:biggrin:
Reply 11
[QUOTE="heyitsabe;42243969"]Hey :smile:

i sat those exams in february, so there was a lot less stress around it compared with the amount i suspect there will be when we have to do exams in summer so i had the chance to really focus on maths.

My revision basically started with me going to the library with my cgp revision guide and my maths book and going over each page. the pages i thought i knew pretty well i did very little or no work on and when i came across something i didnt know so well i would take a highlighter and highlight the key information on the page (make sure it's only your revision book though haha).

I'd then try and write that information down on some paper from memory and just keep going over it. I'd do some questions on it, but in my opinion the principal that teachers have of doing five zillion questions on one topic doesn't work because you begin to do the method robotically without thinking, and when it comes to remembering how to do it next time you cant.

once id done some work on the bits i really needed help on i'd go back to the beginning and do some highlighting, writing and one or two questions on the bits i thought i knew but didn't know them as well as the things i'd just learnt. the closer and closer you get to the exam the more evenly your knowledge will be spread, just keep going over the book and even in the end just reading through and absorbing information.

It seems as though it takes a long time, but believe me it is a lot quicker than you think. Oh and also, if you really have no clue on a topic, i found this cd rom thing sooooooo helpful as it takes you through the bit step by step and explains questions as well as giving you a few to try. I got it for a fiver at my school but idk where you can get it apart from ebay and possibly amazon where it's from £5-£20. it's called Maths Watch GCSE, it's def worth it!

sorry for babbling hahha, hope i helped though!

and also i'm getting my results on thurs so ill let you know if my revision worked hahaaa

:biggrin:[/QUOTE
thanks this is really helpful, btw what grade did you get anyway
Reply 12
lol sorry for not getting back :') I forgot... but yeah I got an A :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending