The Student Room Group

Government review of what IT hardware software the DSA should pay for

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mallwell
hi

dont think so as i would remember how to spell words , i can spell the same word 5 diffrent way, and when under pressure its worse and my hand writting becomes not readable.

not all hospitals use computers, this would help but at the momnet its all paper notes

regards

But a lot of medical students would benefit from a medical spell checker. I could understand your argument if they refused a bog standard dictionary. (which I was given in the form of software)
Reply 21
Original post by laeof
Is there any information on this to clarify?

I was probably a bit unclear about this before. If the machine has a good spec and is running fine then a health check might not be requested. However, there is nothing to stop a student requesting a health check if the machine is performing poorly. In my experience, funding bodies will normally consider immediate replacement once a machine is over three years old or if the machine is very low spec e.g. Celeron processors and Dragon Naturally Speaking aren't a great combination.
Reply 22
Original post by blackeberg
I was probably a bit unclear about this before. If the machine has a good spec and is running fine then a health check might not be requested. However, there is nothing to stop a student requesting a health check if the machine is performing poorly. In my experience, funding bodies will normally consider immediate replacement once a machine is over three years old or if the machine is very low spec e.g. Celeron processors and Dragon Naturally Speaking aren't a great combination.

Funding bodies will not automatically replacement a machine of any age unless the DSA assessor recommends it. There is no hard and fast rule as to when health checks will be requested or machines replaced. If the spec or age of the machine seem low then this is normally the trigger but relies on the assessor knowing the spec and age.
I have been recommended for a scribe pen. Don't want to sound like a dafty, but how do they work? :rolleyes:
Original post by CelticSymphony67
I have been recommended for a scribe pen. Don't want to sound like a dafty, but how do they work? :rolleyes:

A quick Google search makes it sound like it's similar to a dictaphone / recording device.
I have never seen one before. My assessor has recommended one for me, but she did not have one to show me. I think they look quite smart.
Reply 26
There are LiveScribe Smart Pens which record your handwriting when using special dot paper pads, and record the audio form the session at the same time. They are good to sue, but some users find them a little bulky to hold.
Original post by NJones
There are LiveScribe Smart Pens which record your handwriting when using special dot paper pads, and record the audio form the session at the same time. They are good to sue, but some users find them a little bulky to hold.
Yes, you have made a good point there. One of the common complaints I was reading about these pens are that they are quite bulky, and not too clever for writing over a long period of time. Having said that, I have seen a lot positives about these pens as well.
what about my laptop. my laptop is dying on me.so slow when i type sometimes. it over heats more often now and shuts down randomly which is annoying when im looking at uni work. i havent got office on it as it was a trial and the code i got doesnt work. the specs for the laptop is

Processor Type AMD Turion 64
Processor Speed 2300 MHz
Processor Count 2
RAM Size 3 GB
Hard Drive Size 320 GB

is this low spec.
would i be able to get a new laptop with software for hearing impariement such as dragon dictate so i can use a dictaphone in lecters and get the notes there. i find it hard to listen closely and write at the same time as i try to concentrate on listening but it is hard when im deaf with hearing aids. i have to copy my friends work to catch up with the notes if i am unable to get powerpoint as some lecterers dont use blackboard to upload powerpoint so no copy can be made or they do it after the lecter resulting in me trying to copy word for word with difficulty.
Reply 29
Original post by Sanddancerlass
what about my laptop. my laptop is dying on me.so slow when i type sometimes. it over heats more often now and shuts down randomly which is annoying when im looking at uni work. i havent got office on it as it was a trial and the code i got doesnt work. the specs for the laptop is

Processor Type AMD Turion 64
Processor Speed 2300 MHz
Processor Count 2
RAM Size 3 GB
Hard Drive Size 320 GB

is this low spec.
would i be able to get a new laptop with software for hearing impariement such as dragon dictate so i can use a dictaphone in lecters and get the notes there. i find it hard to listen closely and write at the same time as i try to concentrate on listening but it is hard when im deaf with hearing aids. i have to copy my friends work to catch up with the notes if i am unable to get powerpoint as some lecterers dont use blackboard to upload powerpoint so no copy can be made or they do it after the lecter resulting in me trying to copy word for word with difficulty.

If your laptop is running Windows 7 then Dragon advise that 4GB of RAM be used. Its not a bad spec, but consider if it will last you the three years of your course and run some pretty intensive software? As an assessor I'd be happy to recommend a replacement laptop with full version of office and Digital voice recorder for starters.
I have only one year left of course but was suspended for a year because of not passing a module plus I've had more hearing loss too

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest