The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Apartments, area codes, bikes

Hello,

Although not yet fully confirmed, I am leaning towards attending the University of Glasgow starting September 2013 as an undergraduate international student.

With university accommodation as a second option, I have been looking at apartment possibilities, hoping to find something cheaper yet still convenient.

Is anyone familiar with the city, and could perhaps pinpoint me the safest and closest areas to the university? If certain area codes could be specified, I would be most grateful :smile:

Anything within a 20-30 minute walk radius from the university itself would be optimum.

I have been using Google maps with almost every apartment address to virtually orientate myself. If there are any other small pin pointers I should look out for when looking at apartment addresses, I would be grateful if you could let me know these.

Another question I would like to pose may seem a little stupid, but for someone coming from Bikeland itself (Denmark), it is an important matter in my book. How safe and common is it to bike around the city in Glasgow? Are there bike paths? Over the years I've noticed it to be a very Scandinavian trend to use a bicycle as a method of transport -- in the least, it tends to be much less common in other countries, so I would just like to know what a bike is perceived as in Glasgow ^^

Lastly, if there is anyone out there who is leasing an apartment, either alone or with a friend, and could give any comments or suggestions, or perhaps even compare living in a private apartment to university accommodation, please feel free to speak up :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 1
Hi there, Glasgow uni is on G12 and you are looking for G3, G12 and G20 mainly. For first year I would recommend student accommodation. Where I stay (private student accommodation) is 93/week ensuite! - the best value for money you get here! Its 15 mins to Uni. I also own a bike, the situation here is acceptable but not really safe for cyclists. If you need anything else to know, just pm! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hey. I don't go to Glasgow Uni but I've lived around the university for 13 years now and I see loads of students on a daily basis. As the above person said, you're probably best finding uni accommodation close to your lectures. The majority of the campus is around the Hillhead and towards Argyle Street. If you're looking for private accommodation, I would really suggest the West End. Near the uni, this would be some parts of G11, G12, etc. I live a maximum of 10/15 mins walk away from the heart of the main campus.

As for bikes, there are quite a lot of people who cycle (it's the West End :P) but there aren't really any lanes around the area. Most people cycle on the road with the cars, so you won't really look out of place.

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Ah, thank you so much to the both of you! That really made my search much easier.

As for bikes, seems like I'm better off walking for the first quarter, or at least until I'm used to the traffic being on.. erhm, excuse me, but, the "wrong" side of the road :biggrin:
Hello :smile: another international 2013-2014 fresher over here :biggrin: as a cyclist myself, I was wondering how do you plan to get your bike to Glasgow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi, you can ask the airline about fares for sports equipment.
May I ask where are you coming from?!
For example Easyjet charges about 25€ but other carriers can charge you way to much!
Reply 6
Original post by cris_cristina
Hello :smile: another international 2013-2014 fresher over here :biggrin: as a cyclist myself, I was wondering how do you plan to get your bike to Glasgow

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I wasn't exactly planning on bringing mine to Scotland. The one I have now is not very expensive, so I don't mind leaving it behind. I will probably buy a used one in Glasgow instead, I feel like it would end up being cheaper than having to transport the one I have now!
Thanks :smile: I'm from Romania. 25€ sounds reasonable, less than I expected, I should check it though. I have a nice and pretty road bike that I'm quite attached to, I really don't wanna leave it here :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending