The Student Room Group

Applying to UCL (The Bartlett)

I'm currently in year 12 and I started the year with 4 AS subjects, Maths, Physics, Product Design and Art. But I couldn't handle the workload over the Christmas, especially with my January Maths examination. As a result, I dropped Art. I'm planning on picking up Art again as an AS next year, but I was wondering how I could improve my chances of getting into Bartlett, if there is any chance of me getting in now.:confused:
Reply 1
I think they're pretty strict on having Art at A-level, I was thinking of applying to UCL next year as well but I do Graphic Communication and I don't think they accept that.
Reply 2
Original post by Outcastnut13
I'm currently in year 12 and I started the year with 4 AS subjects, Maths, Physics, Product Design and Art. But I couldn't handle the workload over the Christmas, especially with my January Maths examination. As a result, I dropped Art. I'm planning on picking up Art again as an AS next year, but I was wondering how I could improve my chances of getting into Bartlett, if there is any chance of me getting in now.:confused:

No disrespect intended but if you struggled with the workload of AS levels I would seriously reconsider your intention of studying architecture, especially at the Bartlett
Reply 3
Original post by squiddly
No disrespect intended but if you struggled with the workload of AS levels I would seriously reconsider your intention of studying architecture, especially at the Bartlett

I understand what you mean, but I have to admit that was my own fault. I started out A levels thinking that I could cruise AS just like I did at GCSE. I definitely learnt my lesson when the January exams rolled around. I really do love architecture, it's something that i've always wanted to do since I was little and it is something that I really want to do. I'm willing to work harder than ever.
OMG! I'm in the exact situation as you.. did pretty badly in my Jan exams but I'm doing okay in Art.. I'm scared that I'll end up getting A* UU or something in my A2's.. :/
Reply 5
I've just come back from a UCAS convetion, and I found out that I wouldn't be able to apply to the Bartlett if I don't have an A2 art qualification. That sucks.

Original post by Archengsculp
OMG! I'm in the exact situation as you.. did pretty badly in my Jan exams but I'm doing okay in Art.. I'm scared that I'll end up getting A* UU or something in my A2's.. :/

I'm feeling that too, the only thing that you could do is just trying your hardest. Because at the end of the day, the worst thing you could do is walk out of your exam thinking you could have tried harder. As long as you know that you tried your best and gave it 100% then there is no reason why you can't get AAA*. That's my opinion. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Outcastnut13

I have an offer from UCL at the Bartlett and I have firmed them so hopefully ill be there in September! You may not get in to architecture at UCL because they require art a level but there are courses in the Bartlett you could consider which are very close to architecture but don't require art ( and with a lighter workload!) :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by SJB96
I think they're pretty strict on having Art at A-level, I was thinking of applying to UCL next year as well but I do Graphic Communication and I don't think they accept that.

did they? cus i do that now
Original post by squiddly

Ignore this. A-Levels and a degree are completely different.
Reply 9
can someone answer the thread on my post

also i do Graphic Communication

They base their final decisions more on your portfolio and your academics. I was having this conversation with one of my former tuition teachers (he helped ppl get into top schools such as St.Olaves Grammar school)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending