The Student Room Group

Working in Costa Coffee - questions

I handed out my CV to everywhere in my village 2 weeks ago. Got a job straight away at a pub, could not stand it at all, first time working in a shop so I had to learn some stuff, my boss was rude and impatient and didn't realise that I magically did not know everything so I was (unfairly) sacked. Just as I was walking home after being asked to leave, I coincidentally got a call from Costa asking if I was still looking for a job. I said yes and I have an interview on Monday afternoon.

I have plenty of questions:

1) For the interview, what would I need to take?

2) I will wear some blue jeans, a plain red hoodie and some smart'ish shoes to the interview. Is this ok?

3) What should I know for the interview and job itself (stuff i wouldnt get taught)?

4) Are there any questions you always ask?

5) I am not actually much of a coffee drinker. I drink tea and hot chocolate but not that often (once or twice a week). Do I need to have really good knowledge about coffee, latte's, cappuccinos etc beforehand?

6) If I get asked, 'why do I want to work at Costa?' according to my parents it is completely ok to be honest and just say because i am looking for money. I thought that was always the answer you have to avoid but according to them, with a part time job everyone my age is just doing it for cash and they expect you to say this rather than be honest and say 'it is a lifelong ambition of mine'. Tbh if I got asked that question I would have said something along the lines of 'I always find Costa stores very clean, cozy and comfortable and there is always a happy environment in there. I thought this would also apply to working here. Additionally, I live closeby so it is local and convenient'.

7) What would my role be in the shop? Would I ask the customer what drink he/she wants and tell the barista this? Or would I ask the customer and then make the drink as well?

8) Costa is directly opposite the pub I was working at and was sacked from. They could easily pop over to ask my boss for a reference. So when answering questions like 'where have you last worked' and 'why did you leave your last job' I do not know if I should be 100% honest, or a reason which is only partially true and slightly vague (something like 'I worked at a pub' *leaving out its name unless i am asked for its name* and I left due to myself and my parents being unhappy with my hours because i was finishing a night shift and had to work at 9 the next morning).

I just wanted to learn stuff now so that when I start work I am already partially trained and have some knowledge already. Since I found it a bit difficult working in a pub (although this was mainly down to my boss) do you think I would find it hard in Costa?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dylantombides
I handed out my CV to everywhere in my village 2 weeks ago. Got a job straight away at a pub, could not stand it at all, first time working in a shop so I had to learn some stuff, my boss was rude and impatient and didn't realise that I magically did not know everything so I was (unfairly) sacked. Just as I was walking home after being asked to leave, I coincidentally got a call from Costa asking if I was still looking for a job. I said yes and I have an interview on Monday afternoon.

2) I will wear some blue jeans, a plain red hoodie and some smart'ish shoes to the interview. Is this ok?

3) What should I know for the interview and job itself (stuff i wouldnt get taught)?

5) I am not actually much of a coffee drinker. I drink tea and hot chocolate but not that often (once or twice a week). Do I need to have really good knowledge about coffee, latte's, cappuccinos etc beforehand?

6) If I get asked, 'why do I want to work at Costa?' according to my parents it is completely ok to be honest and just say because i am looking for money. I thought that was always the answer you have to avoid but according to them, with a part time job everyone my age is just doing it for cash and they expect you to say this rather than be honest and say 'it is a lifelong ambition of mine'. Tbh if I got asked that question I would have said something along the lines of 'I always find Costa stores very clean, cozy and comfortable and there is always a happy environment in there. I thought this would also apply to working here. Additionally, I live closeby so it is local and convenient'.

7) What would my role be in the shop? Would I ask the customer what drink he/she wants and tell the barista this? Or would I ask the customer and then make the drink as well?

I just wanted to learn stuff now so that when I start work I am already partially trained and have some knowledge already. Since I found it a bit difficult working in a pub (although this was mainly down to my boss) do you think I would find it hard in Costa?

1) Some of this might depend on the manager/area but the most they will expect you to take to the interview is proof of ID and national insurance number, a pen and certificates (not needed by my store but I do know one person who was asked to provide their's at another store).

2) Again this will depend on the person interviewing you. It might be fine, it might not.

3/4/5) it's not expected that you know how to make any of the drinks and many people there don't drink much coffee themselves (though you may be expected to try drinks). I was advised to know a bit about the background and history of Costa though in reality I think that info was beyond what was expected too. There are officially lots of questions that they will ask but many of them I wasn't in a position to answer but that was fine.

6) I was honest when asked this and said that it was for the money but again perhaps some managers would like this less i'm not sure.

7) you would do a bit of almost everything. Clearing tables, cleaning, serving, making drinks etc. At first you may find yourself doing very little of the last two whilst it's busy though.

Were you fine with the public at your pub? Everything else you can learn quickly enough.

A copy of your CV, a form of ID and a pen.

Personally, I wouldn't. If you're going to wear jeans, go for a dark pair and a shirt. You need to be smart and presentable, you will be representing their company should you get the job.

Check out their website so you know a bit about their company motives and aims. You can weave their own phrases into your answers. It should have a brief comment about what they want in a barista there.

I was asked this at an interview and I told them I hadn't because they had answered all my questions while they were explaining about the role and company (they will tell you the basics). Then tell them you've visited the website and at you've found out a lot there.

Typically no. If they've seen your CV and you have no work experience in this field they will give you training. It's standard for you to get training anyway.

I would avoid it. Say that you know they're a well respected company and you want to work in that environment. As for the convenience thing, spin it so you can be available often and it won't take long for you to get to the store if you have to pick up some extra shifts

They must tell you this at the interview. I guess they will have you doing till work until you are trained as a barista but you will probably train on the job. Likely to take orders and make the drinks. Maybe some cleaning too.

it's going to be more work with lunch hour but you should be fine
Reply 3

1. Just take yourself

2. Look as smart as possible. Not all managers will care about this but you never know. Wear nice jeans and a shirt if you have one, id stay away from the hoody

3. You'll probably get asked more about you and why you want the job but it cant hurt to know a bit about the company

4. If you have any requirements like you can only work so many days a week then say then. Also its up to you if you wanna know about pay/holidays etc

5. You dont need to know anything about coffee, youll get taught that on the job, but again, a bit of pre-interview homework wouldnt hurt

6. Yep that sounds good, nothing wrong with saying 'just for money' but put in the other stuff about how youve always found costa to be a nice place. Also if you say you live nearby it might give you an edge because you'd be nearby for coming in if someones off sick

7. Everbody does all roles in the shop. Everbody is trained to work the till, take orders, make coffees, clear tables and clean, then of course the manager/assistant/team leaders have their extra bits they do. To begin with you'll probably be trained to do the till (clearing tables is a bit self-explanatory) and then work your way up to coffee machine, you won be expected to do it (or do it well) in your first few days/week

I dont think its an overly hard job. Once you know all the drinks, what they are, how they taste etc, the rest is mostly customer service/initiative.

If you wanna learn what all the different coffees are go ahead, it cant hurt at all to at least basically know a cappuccino versus an espresso.

Word of advice (if you get the job/a trial shift): Take some initiative. If you something needs doing like tables clearing, something needs stocking, then do it. If you dont know how/where then ask. Ive worked with sooo many newbies who stand there like a wet lemon when you ask them to do something. Be enthusiastic, be involved, be willing, be friendly. Customer service is a big thing

(Worked there for 7 years this june :eek::colondollar:)
Original post by curtis871
1) Some of this might depend on the manager/area but the most they will expect you to take to the interview is proof of ID and national insurance number, a pen and certificates (not needed by my store but I do know one person who was asked to provide their's at another store).

2) Again this will depend on the person interviewing you. It might be fine, it might not.

3/4/5) it's not expected that you know how to make any of the drinks and many people there don't drink much coffee themselves (though you may be expected to try drinks). I was advised to know a bit about the background and history of Costa though in reality I think that info was beyond what was expected too. There are officially lots of questions that they will ask but many of them I wasn't in a position to answer but that was fine.

6) I was honest when asked this and said that it was for the money but again perhaps some managers would like this less i'm not sure.

7) you would do a bit of almost everything. Clearing tables, cleaning, serving, making drinks etc. At first you may find yourself doing very little of the last two whilst it's busy though.

Were you fine with the public at your pub? Everything else you can learn quickly enough.

Original post by EloiseStar
it's going to be more work with lunch hour but you should be fine

Original post by Lexi99
1. Just take yourself

2. Look as smart as possible. Not all managers will care about this but you never know. Wear nice jeans and a shirt if you have one, id stay away from the hoody

3. You'll probably get asked more about you and why you want the job but it cant hurt to know a bit about the company

4. If you have any requirements like you can only work so many days a week then say then. Also its up to you if you wanna know about pay/holidays etc

5. You dont need to know anything about coffee, youll get taught that on the job, but again, a bit of pre-interview homework wouldnt hurt

6. Yep that sounds good, nothing wrong with saying 'just for money' but put in the other stuff about how youve always found costa to be a nice place. Also if you say you live nearby it might give you an edge because you'd be nearby for coming in if someones off sick

7. Everbody does all roles in the shop. Everbody is trained to work the till, take orders, make coffees, clear tables and clean, then of course the manager/assistant/team leaders have their extra bits they do. To begin with you'll probably be trained to do the till (clearing tables is a bit self-explanatory) and then work your way up to coffee machine, you won be expected to do it (or do it well) in your first few days/week

I dont think its an overly hard job. Once you know all the drinks, what they are, how they taste etc, the rest is mostly customer service/initiative.

If you wanna learn what all the different coffees are go ahead, it cant hurt at all to at least basically know a cappuccino versus an espresso.

Word of advice (if you get the job/a trial shift): Take some initiative. If you something needs doing like tables clearing, something needs stocking, then do it. If you dont know how/where then ask. Ive worked with sooo many newbies who stand there like a wet lemon when you ask them to do something. Be enthusiastic, be involved, be willing, be friendly. Customer service is a big thing

(Worked there for 7 years this june :eek::colondollar:)

I missed out a question and it was the most important question of them all!

8) I wrote about the pub i worked in. The pub is literally 10 metres from Costa. It is the opposite side of the road. As I said, I was sacked from the pub. I don't know how much this will affect me at Costa because I am sure at some point they will ask me 'have you worked anywhere recently' or 'have you worked in retail before' or 'what was your last job'. My answer would be 'yes, a pub'. Should I avoid saying the name of the pub unless they specifically ask for it? And if they do ask for the name of the pub should I just make up a pub (I actually went travelling earlier as I am on a gap year and I could just say it was a pub in another country or something). Not sure if I should lie though. Since this pub I actually worked in is so close to Costa, they could easily ask my old boss at the pub how I was/what I was like (he hated me so he wouldn't give me a good reference). Also if they ask why I left should I:
A) Tell them I was sacked
B) Tell them I was sacked but it was due to my boss just not being very good with people and not understanding at all
C) Make up a reason which has an element of truth to it but also slightly lying at the same time? Something like 'the hours were not good for me and my parents didn't like me working so late as I was working till 1 in the morning and then I would have work at 9am the next day'.
Reply 5

8) I wrote about the pub i worked in. The pub is literally 10 metres from Costa. It is the opposite side of the road. As I said, I was sacked from the pub. I don't know how much this will affect me at Costa because I am sure at some point they will ask me 'have you worked anywhere recently' or 'have you worked in retail before' or 'what was your last job'. My answer would be 'yes, a pub'. Should I avoid saying the name of the pub unless they specifically ask for it? And if they do ask for the name of the pub should I just make up a pub (I actually went travelling earlier as I am on a gap year and I could just say it was a pub in another country or something). Not sure if I should lie though. Since this pub I actually worked in is so close to Costa, they could easily ask my old boss at the pub how I was/what I was like (he hated me so he wouldn't give me a good reference). Also if they ask why I left should I:
B) Tell them I was sacked but it was due to my boss just not being very good with people and not understanding at all
C) Make up a reason which has an element of truth to it but also slightly lying at the same time? Something like 'the hours were not good for me and my parents didn't like me working so late as I was working till 1 in the morning and then I would have work at 9am the next day'.

With it being so close I think you have to think that some staff may go there themselves so you need to be more careful about lying than usual :tongue:. Either be honest or use the pub as a reference but give the assistant manager as a contact (if there is one and he/she will give a better reference)
Reply 6
I dont think you'll have to mention the name of the pub, but if its on your CV theyre gonna know anyway right? If they ask why you left just say due to the hours thing and maybe say you werent keen on how it was managed or something?

I was asked why i left my old job and I was truthful. Perhaps a positive spin would do no harm. "It wasn't the right environment for me, however having visited Costa on several occasions I am sure I would fit in here...'

A word of advice though, the managers probably know each other. Where I work everyone knows each other, whether it's across the street or on the other side of town, managers talk. Especially if they're n the same line of business.
Original post by curtis871
With it being so close I think you have to think that some staff may go there themselves so you need to be more careful about lying than usual :tongue:. Either be honest or use the pub as a reference but give the assistant manager as a contact (if there is one and he/she will give a better reference)

I would be surprised. Everyone who goes in that pub are old men. I am not criticising the place but that is genuinely the case. So unless there are some staff over 65 in Costa, then they probably do not. Plus it was always the same faces coming into the pub and I talked to pretty much all of them so I know what they do, where they work (they all seem to be either carpenters, binmen, gardeners, plumbers etc). But I guess it is possible for the occasional person from the pub to go into costa. I do know that maybe once a week in the morning my old colleagues at the pub go there to grab a tea/coffee/latte or something. However these people are all really nice and I get on very well with all of them so its not a problem. And the pub is not on my CV I gave to costa because I gave my CV to them before I even got the job at the pub. And there wasn't an assistant manager at the pub... just the owners (a guy and his wife who were my bosses) and his 3 employees.

Original post by Lexi99
I dont think you'll have to mention the name of the pub, but if its on your CV theyre gonna know anyway right? If they ask why you left just say due to the hours thing and maybe say you werent keen on how it was managed or something?

It is not on my CV because I applied to every shop possible, got accepted by the pub, worked at the pub for about 2 weeks and then i was sacked. The day I was sacked, Costa called me asking if I still needed a job. So Costa saw my old CV without the pub being mentioned on there.

Original post by EloiseStar
I was asked why i left my old job and I was truthful. Perhaps a positive spin would do no harm. "It wasn't the right environment for me, however having visited Costa on several occasions I am sure I would fit in here...'

A word of advice though, the managers probably know each other. Where I work everyone knows each other, whether it's across the street or on the other side of town, managers talk. Especially if they're n the same line of business.

Ok thanks for that, however I think I have only had a drink in Costa once in my life! I'm pretty sure my old boss doesnt know the Costa people but just in case I will take your word for it!
don't say "i need money" in response to the 'why do you wanna work here' question.

feed them with absolute bull**** about a passion for customer service or a spiritual experience involving the smell of coffee beans.
She phoned me up today and said unfortunately I didn't get the job :frown:

The interview went ok though. I guess it was just because loads of people applied for it.

The interviewer phoned me and told me why and it was for 2 reasons: 1) I didn't have experience in the industry. She said this isn't a problem, but if they had the choice they would choose someone who did have experience in that industry. And 2) One of the questions said 'what do you know about costa' and I said 'to be honest, i don't visit regularly so not so much' and she said 'that's fine but you could have said what you did know'. I was like, 'what did you want me to say - they are a coffee company situated all over the country and are very popular!'. But she did tell me that I came across as confident, kind, friendly etc.
Reply 11
Wen you're asked what you know about a company, they're expecting you to have researched them a bit or at least looked at their website.

You could have said something about being passionate about coffee, how they're constantly expanding into new stores and drive thrus and there's a charity set up by costa as well to put money back into coffee growing communities,

They just want to see that you've taken an interest in them besides the money
Original post by Lexi99
Wen you're asked what you know about a company, they're expecting you to have researched them a bit or at least looked at their website.

You could have said something about being passionate about coffee, how they're constantly expanding into new stores and drive thrus and there's a charity set up by costa as well to put money back into coffee growing communities,

They just want to see that you've taken an interest in them besides the money

Ok thanks. I will know for next time :smile:
How do you work the new costa tills with the touch screen i am confused there are too many different sections like hot drinks, seansonal etc (just started to work there) Thank You
Reply 14
Original post by guineapiglover
How do you work the new costa tills with the touch screen i am confused there are too many different sections like hot drinks, seansonal etc (just started to work there) Thank You

Got an interview tomorrow. I am so scared
I start in May, excited
I start a week today!
Original post by snikutsmullac
I start a week today!

Hey, was just wondering how you applied?
Did you literally just pop in and give in your CV, or did you fill in one of their official forms?

I'm going abroad in summer, so I want a job around September when I have College as a part time job, do you think the little hours I could work would affect whether I get hired or not, especially because during the summer of 2015 I'd have to take time off for exams...

Thanks, hope work is going good :biggrin:
Original post by kissme9sone
Hey, was just wondering how you applied?
Did you literally just pop in and give in your CV, or did you fill in one of their official forms?

I'm going abroad in summer, so I want a job around September when I have College as a part time job, do you think the little hours I could work would affect whether I get hired or not, especially because during the summer of 2015 I'd have to take time off for exams...

Thanks, hope work is going good :biggrin:

A new store was opening in my town and they were taking applications, so I had to e-mail a CV and cover letter to the area manager. I went for an interview, and got given the job. That's it basically :P

If the store is already an established one, call them up, ask if there are any vacancies - if there is, obviously apply. If not then ask if you can hand a CV in for them to keep on file?

I work part-time, mind you it's about 18-20 hours a week. It really depends on the store and the managers whether your hours are suitable, every store seems to operate differently.

I've done a week so far and I love it, all the other staff are really nice, the customers are usually friendly, it's a lot of work but you are never left bored with nothing to do :smile:
got my first (trial) shift in Costa tomorrow, any advice on what to expect?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending