The Student Room Group

US warship sinks Japanese fishing vessel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17635346

Aside from the slightly misleading title i must say i find it quite amusing it took them 5 hours to sink the blighter... it appears the US navy might not fair so well in an actual battle if a drifting fishing boat put up such a fight...:colone:
Reply 1
it was just a coastguard ship though not an actual warship.
Original post by cl_steele
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17635346

Aside from the slightly misleading title i must say i find it quite amusing it took them 5 hours to sink the blighter... it appears the US navy might not fair so well in an actual battle if a drifting fishing boat put up such a fight...:colone:

It might be seen by many as a bit of overkill if they used torpedoes or Harpoon ASM. Those are how you sink a ship. Although I'm suprised the US Navy or Air Force weren't involved for a bit of target practice.
Reply 3
Original post by Shabalala
it was just a coastguard ship though not an actual warship.

given that the definition of a warship is incredibly broad it still vagualy stands, plus i did say the title was somewhat misleading.
Reply 4
Original post by MatureStudent36
It might be seen by many as a bit of overkill if they used torpedoes or Harpoon ASM. Those are how you sink a ship. Although I'm suprised the US Navy or Air Force weren't involved for a bit of target practice.

I think the coast guard was just hogging the fun of blowing something up for once, i mean it must make a nice change from shooting at Cuban refugee boats?:wink:
Why cause a stir like this? Will only bring up bad memories.
Reply 6
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Why cause a stir like this? Will only bring up bad memories.

How? They just sunk a manless vessel which they didn't know the country of origin.
Reply 7
Original post by Kiss
How? They just sunk a manless vessel which they didn't know the country of origin.

Well, they knew where it came from, but they also knew it was pretty much impossible salvage and a potential danger to other shipping, hence the sinking.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Well, they knew where it came from, but they also knew it was pretty much impossible salvage and a potential danger to other shipping, hence the sinking.

I'm not disagreeing, I was just wondering why The_Last_Melon seemed to think it was such a big deal.
Reply 9
Should have recalled these bad boys to do the job. :colone:

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by Kiss
I'm not disagreeing, I was just wondering why The_Last_Melon seemed to think it was such a big deal.

I think it was a sarcastic reference back to WWII but i may be wrong :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Mr Smurf
Should have recalled these bad boys to do the job. :colone:

Spoiler

Dear Santa...
Why didnt they like, bring it to port or something?
Original post by cl_steele
I think it was a sarcastic reference back to WWII but i may be wrong :smile:

:erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending