The Student Room Group

Lancaster Uni OR Sheffield Uni

Hello all,

I've got 2 offers from Sheffield Uni and Lancaster Uni
and wondering whats the right one to pick!!
so I need your opinions and advices

Lancaster Uni:
Mechatronics eng.
Entry Point: 2nd year

Sheffield Uni:
systems & control eng. which is fascinated me the most, but..
Entry Point: 1st year :frown:

what do you think guys?, I really need your help here!!

thank you for all your efforts
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
M7.
OP
Replies: Views: 109

!! :s
Reply 2
Is the only downside of the Sheffield offer that you'd be starting in the first year of the course?
Count your blessings. Sheffield is amazing, and a degree from there is worth a hell of a lot more than one from Lancaster.
Reply 3
M7.
OP
Original post by chapmouse
Is the only downside of the Sheffield offer that you'd be starting in the first year of the course?
Count your blessings. Sheffield is amazing, and a degree from there is worth a hell of a lot more than one from Lancaster.

thanks chapmouse
you make it easier for me to give up a year..

any other opinion plz..?
Original post by chapmouse

Rubbish.

Lancaster has a very good reputation now, is ranked far higher in every league table than Sheffield, and has better figures for graduate employment.

Original post by M7.
Hello all,

I've got 2 offers from Sheffield Uni and Lancaster Uni
and wondering whats the right one to pick!!
so I need your opinions and advices

Lancaster Uni:
Mechatronics eng.
Entry Point: 2nd year

Sheffield Uni:
systems & control eng. which is fascinated me the most, but..
Entry Point: 1st year :frown:

what do you think guys?, I really need your help here!!

thank you for all your efforts

Despite what I said in reply to the other guy, I would say to stay away from Lancaster.

I studied there for 2 years (I wasn't a full engineering student, but it was my minor subject) and the best decision I made was to leave. The teaching was fine (for the most part), the facilities are pretty good, but that's about where the positives end.

The city is boring as hell.
You're a long way from any big cities.
The campus itself is an annoying journey away from Lancaster, and there is bugger all to do on Campus.
The sports facilities are nowhere near as good as they should be given the amount that was spent on them.
The college system, while it may seem like a good thing, divides up the student population too much and because it splits first years up so much in freshers week it means that you meet far less people early on in the year than you otherwise would.
When we did have a problem with a lecturer being terrible (to the extent that near the end of the term not one person in the year could give decent answers to any past paper questions) the University refused to listen to our complaints.
The Student Union and University management constantly make promises that they then fail to keep.
The amount of dodgy landlords that operate in the city is beyond belief, it seemed like almost every single landlord we came across was just a total pain in the ass to deal with, and far too many "student houses" in town are in an absolutely shambolic state.

So, just a few things!
Reply 5
i live in lancaster and have done for almost 18 years. yes there may not be as much to do as there would in a big city, and it could be seen as more boring than other bigger cities, but that's only because its small. it's perfectly pretty with its historical buildings and background, but it also has a lot of diversity:there are quite a few clubs and shops, cinemas, and loads of nice cafes. it depends what you're into.. theres the dukes theatre, a more alternative theatre and cinema, sports facilities, and the sea is nearby (haha). i think its a very charming little city, but i may be slightly biased. its only 15 minutes away from preston on the train, and manchester, leeds and sheffield are not too far on the train. ive heard its a reallly cheap city to live in, in terms of accommodation/food. the campus isnt far away from the city at all... easy walking route that takes approx 30 minutes maybe a bit more, but there is a regular bus to and from the campus (2A). my dad is a lecturer there so ive spent time on the campus (when i was younger) and its a nice campus in the countryside, but not too far from the city. its ranked very highly, with better employment prospects.
Reply 6
M7.
OP
Original post by officelinebacker
Rubbish.

Lancaster has a very good reputation now, is ranked far higher in every league table than Sheffield, and has better figures for graduate employment.

Despite what I said in reply to the other guy, I would say to stay away from Lancaster.

I studied there for 2 years (I wasn't a full engineering student, but it was my minor subject) and the best decision I made was to leave. The teaching was fine (for the most part), the facilities are pretty good, but that's about where the positives end.

The city is boring as hell.
You're a long way from any big cities.
The campus itself is an annoying journey away from Lancaster, and there is bugger all to do on Campus.
The sports facilities are nowhere near as good as they should be given the amount that was spent on them.
The college system, while it may seem like a good thing, divides up the student population too much and because it splits first years up so much in freshers week it means that you meet far less people early on in the year than you otherwise would.
When we did have a problem with a lecturer being terrible (to the extent that near the end of the term not one person in the year could give decent answers to any past paper questions) the University refused to listen to our complaints.
The Student Union and University management constantly make promises that they then fail to keep.
The amount of dodgy landlords that operate in the city is beyond belief, it seemed like almost every single landlord we came across was just a total pain in the ass to deal with, and far too many "student houses" in town are in an absolutely shambolic state.

So, just a few things!

so in general it's about the social life.
actually the teaching and the facilities that all what do matter with me.

your reply is very appreciated.
Reply 7
M7.
OP
Original post by lilkalol
i live in lancaster and have done for almost 18 years. yes there may not be as much to do as there would in a big city, and it could be seen as more boring than other bigger cities, but that's only because its small. it's perfectly pretty with its historical buildings and background, but it also has a lot of diversity:there are quite a few clubs and shops, cinemas, and loads of nice cafes. it depends what you're into.. theres the dukes theatre, a more alternative theatre and cinema, sports facilities, and the sea is nearby (haha). i think its a very charming little city, but i may be slightly biased. its only 15 minutes away from preston on the train, and manchester, leeds and sheffield are not too far on the train. ive heard its a reallly cheap city to live in, in terms of accommodation/food. the campus isnt far away from the city at all... easy walking route that takes approx 30 minutes maybe a bit more, but there is a regular bus to and from the campus (2A). my dad is a lecturer there so ive spent time on the campus (when i was younger) and its a nice campus in the countryside, but not too far from the city. its ranked very highly, with better employment prospects.

just now I've decided that lancaster unis is the one to pick although am biased to sheffield. but it's very hard to give up a year beside i'd rather to be in a small city which is near to the other big cities just like lancaster. :biggrin:

anyway the quastion is 'what is the best area to live in as international student..?'

Quick Reply

Latest