The Student Room Group

Don't have time to learn vocab- what do I do?

I'm on AQA and have a reading and listening exam for French in a few weeks. However, I underestimated how much vocab I would need to learn and feel I will need much more time. I have other subjects to revise for and my revision timetable is full so I won't have much extra time to add onto it.

Hence, can you recommend any techniques I can use to learn vocab more quickly? Or is there something else which you found more useful in preparation for your listening/reading exam?
Reply 1
I'm in the same situation. Vocabulary can't be learned "quickly". The most you can learn in a day is 200 words but it will take you around 8 hours and you'll need to review the words several times over the week/ month.

Right now I'm "maintaining" 250 words I learned a month ago. It takes me around 45 minutes every week to review them but I'm spacing out the reviews.

I'd say you have time to learn about 600 words until the exam but only learn a few words per day and don't forget to review old words, otherwise you'll have worked for nothing.
Reply 2
Original post by Kayc3e
I'm in the same situation. Vocabulary can't be learned "quickly". The most you can learn in a day is 200 words but it will take you around 8 hours and you'll need to review the words several times over the week/ month.

Right now I'm "maintaining" 250 words I learned a month ago. It takes me around 45 minutes every week to review them but I'm spacing out the reviews.

I'd say you have time to learn about 600 words until the exam but only learn a few words per day and don't forget to review old words, otherwise you'll have worked for nothing.

I've calculated that I will need to learn 1260 words in 3 weeks :eek: ...Any ideas on how I could go about doing that?

I've managed to learn about 308 words in the 3 days I revised for French during half term.

EDIT: just saw that you said I'll only be able to learn 600 words...so what else do you recommend I do instead of just learning vocab?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
You *could* learn all the words but it'd take up all of your time... and you'd have forgotten them by the end of the exams.
If that's okay with you, then go for it!
Otherwise, you can listen to a lot of French radio (like 10-14 hours a day). That's what I did for my English comprehension exams and I always got A* in the end.
Reply 4
When my friend had her languages exams I used to test her on her vocab every morning while walking to college, and I think it really paid off :biggrin: She had loads of vocab to learn cause she did 2 languages, but she came out with a really good grade

Maybe you can do something like that?
Reply 5
Also, I stumbled upon this yesterday, it might help: http://www.improve-memory-skills.com/
Reply 6
No.
Learn oral by heart and most necessary vocab will be in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What I'm doing is going through the specification list (WJEC) and using flashcards to write down the ones I don't know - English on one side, French on the other. I write them down and then try going through them as best as I can. Usually I remember some from just writing so put them to one side of the desk, and the stuff I don't know I put in another pile. Then I keep going through the unknown and if I know it, I add it to the known. Once I've got through them all, I randomise them and then go through them a few more times. I usually pick up a lot like that. You can maybe then write down ones that you never seem to remember on a piece of paper as a list of "MUST REMEMBER" (there's always at least one, usually two or three for me.) It'll be worth it though - learn the vocab and it'll pay off because that's what the exams are testing. Good luck!
Firstly, prioritise. Work out which words are the most common and revise them first - not all the words will turn up, and you can usually guess between what you know where there are gaps.
Secondly, don't just revise by rote-learning vocab - get it in context; it will take less time to memorise a sentence relevant to your exam with maybe 5-10 useful words in than it will to memorise the same 5-10 words separately, so you will be able to learn more overall. Doesn't mean you have to completely drop memorising, but it helps if you learn at least partly in sentences, and will also give you variety so your brain will not switch off whilst trying to revise!
Third, reading helps - if you read either news about a subject (in French) or exam texts, you will come across certain words a lot, and if you have to look them up repeatedly, you are more likely to remember them.
If you do learn vocab as separate words, it works better if someone tests you (or you find an online test) than if you just try to memorise.
Good luck!
A little tip: when you have spare minutes in a day, use them to just flip through a few flash-cards; waiting for the bus, standing in a lift or a queue, journeying to and from school etc can all be utilised to slip in practice of a few words here in there. :smile: You might surprise yourself as to how much time you can eek out here and there. :smile: You could also use this time to look through French news or listen to some French radio, if only just to 'tune your head into the language'. As for the amount of words, prioritise for the themes you know less about, but don't just learn from lists - they help no-one and scare everyone. Lists are useful to see which words you'll need, but unless you are a meticulous Look-Say-Cover-Write-Check dude, you'll want to cry by word 20. Look through the past papers to see if you struggle on certain topics more than others, and find your preferred method. If you find a way to tune your brain into learning, USE IT USE IT USE IT. And when you get bits of time here and there, use this method if possible to fully harness your time effectively.

Bon courage!
Reply 10
Original post by constantmeowage
x

Just wondering but I've been using electronic flashcards and the CGP vocab tester to learn the vocab I need to know...Would this be an efficient method in learning it?
Original post by bobbricks
Just wondering but I've been using electronic flashcards and the CGP vocab tester to learn the vocab I need to know...Would this be an efficient method in learning it?

Yeah, I use Flashcards. However, I also do lots of reading to learn things through context, but I'm not sure you'll have time for that.
Reply 12
Yeah, I use Flashcards. However, I also do lots of reading to learn things through context, but I'm not sure you'll have time for that.

Okay, thanks :smile:
Are there any good websites you used to learn things through context?
Okay, thanks :smile:
Are there any good websites you used to learn things through context?

That's not how one learns through context. Context is everywhere. The words used in this sentence are used in a certain context to give a certain meaning. It's everywhere - books, newspapers, websites, news, gossip, everywhere. Learning new words by reading and listening gives one context enough.
but unless you are a meticulous Look-Say-Cover-Write-Check dude

Ja, dat ben ik zeker...:wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Also, should I spend more time learning vocabulary than past papers? Because we're covering all the past papers released for this specification in class so should I spend any time revisiting and doing those same past papers at home or just continue learning vocabulary? :smile:
Reply 16
If you've not discovered Quizlet before then definitely try it, I never used to be able to remember vocab for GCSE but it's been a lifesaver for my AS. Make a set containing all the words you think you might need to know (the process of inputting them is actually helpful too) and go through Speller until you feel more confident, then you can move onto the games and tests etc.

Also, should I spend more time learning vocabulary than past papers? Because we're covering all the past papers released for this specification in class so should I spend any time revisiting and doing those same past papers at home or just continue learning vocabulary? :smile:

If you feel like you're getting enough practise on what the papers are like (e.g. how the questions are set out and what it is they're asking you to do) then I'd focus wholeheartedly on the vocab in your own time and then obviously just carry on doing the past papers in class. Make sure to keep the paper (if you're allowed, or look it up online) and put any vocab you found challenging into your Quizlet set.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending