The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Medicine Offer Holders 2013 Chat Thread :D

Scroll to see replies

This is the link - I searched 'UCL' within the thread and these are the results: click one to see the full post. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?filter[threadid]=865511&query=UCL
(edited 11 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 101
So, i somehow managed to get offers from both UCL and Imperial, slightly swaying more towards UCL, but don't have a clue what I will choose. Life would've been easier had I only applied to one. Any suggestions?
Original post by Daniel__
Would really appreciate it if anyone was willing to post their stats, just to give me some sort of idea of the benchmark for an offer (current lower-sixth applying in October).

GCSE: 5A*7A1B
AS: AAAAAAA (Maths, Bio, Phys, Chem, Computing, Chinese, General Studies)
A2: A*AAAB (Maths, Bio, Phys, Chem, General Studies)
BMAT: 6.9 5.5 4A
If you want to know what sort of EC I did, I'd be more then happy to send you my PS if you want. I'm currently a 1st year medic at UCL so if you have any questions about UCL med school, feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by zhang599
GCSE: 5A*7A1B
AS: AAAAAAA (Maths, Bio, Phys, Chem, Computing, Chinese, General Studies)
A2: A*AAAB (Maths, Bio, Phys, Chem, General Studies)
BMAT: 6.9 5.5 4A
If you want to know what sort of EC I did, I'd be more then happy to send you my PS if you want. I'm currently a 1st year medic at UCL so if you have any questions about UCL med school, feel free to ask me :smile:

Extremely appreciative, and would be delighted if you could so. Amazed at the amount of AS and A2 subjects you did.
Original post by paul272
So, i somehow managed to get offers from both UCL and Imperial, slightly swaying more towards UCL, but don't have a clue what I will choose. Life would've been easier had I only applied to one. Any suggestions?

UCL all the way!
I am having difficultly deciding between UCL and Newcastle for my insurance choice, I am expecting some bias but why UCL?
Original post by Hopefulmedstudent
I am having difficultly deciding between UCL and Newcastle for my insurance choice, I am expecting some bias but why UCL?

- London location means you'll nearly never be bored in your free time, and have lots of new experiences/top hospitals etc.
- UCL's ranking and reputation as a medical school.
- iBSc year in the 3rd year in medical school gives you a break from the course and a chance to research something you're interested in.
- Mix between class sessions and lectures.

There are obviously loads more reasons but those are the basic ones that I can think of! :smile:
Reply 107
I've just completed the health questionnaire and started hep B vaccinations. Does anyone know if blood tests for hep C and HIV can be done on enrolment in september?

Thanks
Original post by mbutt94
I've just completed the health questionnaire and started hep B vaccinations. Does anyone know if blood tests for hep C and HIV can be done on enrolment in september?

Thanks

I think the Occ Health people will offer it when we enrole.
Any other graduates starting this Sept?
Original post by mbutt94

Thanks

Yeah. We'll be seen by OC after we start.

You'll need bloods for varicella, rubella, Hep B and C and HIV. Bare in mind you'll need to pay for the bloods and any outstanding immunisations.
Original post by mbutt94

Thanks

The actual blood test won't be done in enrollment, it'll be done at some point between october and december depending on the time of you allocated appointment which you'll be e-mailed about when you start :smile:
But like arcl said you'll have to pay the blood test which is for Hep C and HIV, if they think they need to test for additional antigens/anti-bodies you'll have to pay extra as well.
The actual blood test won't be done in enrollment, it'll be done at some point between october and december depending on the time of you allocated appointment which you'll be e-mailed about when you start :smile:
But like arcl said you'll have to pay the blood test which is for Hep C and HIV, if they think they need to test for additional antigens/anti-bodies you'll have to pay extra as well.

This is really random, but by any chance do they quote your blood type with the results? It's always something I've been interested to know :smile:

Do they get you to do a blood test for varicella? The three previous trusts I worked at were happy with me saying "Yes. I have had chicken pox [ticks box]" as part of my OH screening.

Is HIV still done before you start clinics? Or has it now changed?

Original post by Harantony
This is really random, but by any chance do they quote your blood type with the results? It's always something I've been interested to know :smile:

They don't routinely. You'll probably need to pay for it if you want to know.
Reply 114

Give blood and you'll find out your blood type - for free, and it's a great thing to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jbellerby
Give blood and you'll find out your blood type - for free, and it's a great thing to do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm planning to do so once I'm 18 ^.^

-Harantony
Original post by arcl
Do they get you to do a blood test for varicella? The three previous trusts I worked at were happy with me saying "Yes. I have had chicken pox [ticks box]" as part of my OH screening.
Is HIV still done before you start clinics? Or has it now changed?

The standard blood test done is just for HIV and Hep C in the first year. They'll only do additional tests in they see on your form that you may have missed out a booster jab on one of you vaccines and want to test it to be sure but otherwise you'll only have the HIV and Hep C test.
And yeah they're happy with just "Yes I've had chicken pox".
I'm planning to do so once I'm 18 ^.^

-Harantony

You only have to be 17 to give blood :wink:
Original post by glfharris
You only have to be 17 to give blood :wink:

:O why did I never realise this?!

Thanks!

-Harantony
Hi everyone! Going in this Sep if all goes well! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest