The Student Room Group

Messy handwriting = smart people?

Is it true??? Just curious

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If my GP's handwriting is anything to go by, then yes I'd say there's somewhat of a correlation.

Original post by SyedaK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I have crap handwriting and I'm a frikkin genius so I'd say so, yeah. :tongue:
Reply 3
Sounds about right to me, feels good being a genius
Reply 4
Probably, your brain ought to be thinking faster than your hand can write anyway.
Nope
Reply 6
There is no correlation between poor or good handwriting and a persons intelligence level. That's why graphology is considered a pseudo-science.

More people have messier handwriting than neat, so does that mean more intelligent people exist than stupid people? I doubt that highly.

There's also something about left handed people being smarter as well, I think that's crap too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Enavor
There is no correlation between poor or good handwriting and a persons intelligence level. That's why graphology is considered a pseudo-science.

More people have messier handwriting than neat, so does that mean more intelligent people exist than stupid people? I doubt that highly.

There's also something about left handed people being smarter as well, I think that's crap too.

Thanks for clearing it up. Curiosity gets the best of me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kre
If my GP's handwriting is anything to go by, then yes I'd say there's somewhat of a correlation.

Every Dr I have ever seen has had terrible hand writing, Im guessing it must be in the job description :tongue:
I'd like to think so...

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by SyedaK
Thanks for clearing it up. Curiosity gets the best of me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No bother chief! I'm always happy to share my wisdom around ^_^

Love,

Luke.
Reply 11
Messy handwriting is a result of not having practised tidy handwriting enough. I see no reason that there would be a correlation between intelligence and failure to practise proper handwriting.
Reply 12
Original post by Bobifier
Messy handwriting is a result of not having practised tidy handwriting enough. I see no reason that there would be a correlation between intelligence and failure to practise proper handwriting.

I agree with you on the people don't practice handwriting enough, therefore by practising your handwriting will become better, but that's not the full story.

It's not just practice, handwriting is highly genetic.

There is a fantastic source for this which I can give:

http://www.cedar.buffalo.edu/~srihari/papers/TR-04-07.pdf - on the discriminable ability of handwriting in twins.

It basically concludes that even identical twins have unique handwriting. You learn all this crazy ancient knowledge in psychology, seriously interesting stuff!
The reason why my handwriting is not considered 'neat' is because I rush what I want to write. I think very quickly and I have to write it instantly because other thoughts and ideas are being processed in my mind.
It's probably not relevant but somewhat ironically it was always the English teachers at school who had terrible handwriting. :lol:

As for me I know I can write neatly but I don't because it really slows me down and quite frankly I don't have the time or patience, so it just ends up messy.
Original post by SyedaK

Even if there were some truth (and we only have the pseudo-science of graphology to say there is), the modern trend away from handwriting towards keypads must be warping the findings, likewise the tendency to downplay the need for 'neat handwriting' in primary schools.
Reply 16
Original post by Enavor
I agree with you on the people don't practice handwriting enough, therefore by practising your handwriting will become better, but that's not the full story.

It's not just practice, handwriting is highly genetic.

There is a fantastic source for this which I can give:

http://www.cedar.buffalo.edu/~srihari/papers/TR-04-07.pdf - on the discriminable ability of handwriting in twins.

It basically concludes that even identical twins have unique handwriting. You learn all this crazy ancient knowledge in psychology, seriously interesting stuff!

Despite not having read your source, I still find it difficult to accept that you have fully understood it.
Reply 17
Never heard of that before. I don't understand why it would be the case. My own handwriting is messy, but who knows why that is. Anecdotally, I think there is a greater difference between men and women's handwriting styles: girls' handwriting almost always seems neater.
Well I have lovely handwriting if I do say so myself, and I'm not stupid :biggrin:
Original post by Enavor

Left handed people are smarter... :smug:

Better at art too :pierre:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest