The Student Room Group

Messy handwriting = smart people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bobifier
Despite not having read your source, I still find it difficult to accept that you have fully understood it.

Why do you find it difficult to accept? from my 5 years at university, I'd hope that you didn't find it difficult to accept if I understand how to read source material or not, it's not that intellectually challenging. Plus that would be an insult, to me and my institution.

And a final note, just because you can't read the source or understand it, does not mean I can't either

Try not find things hard to accept, that would be unfortunate.

Love,

Luke.

PS. if the source is too intellectually challenging at some aspects for you I'd be happy to assist you in any way.

Regards,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
What about girls? If this is true then therefore most them aren't smart? I disagree.
Reply 22
Original post by Sarcastic_Sazza
Left handed people are smarter... :smug:

Better at art too :pierre:

Spoiler

I'm left handed as well. It's amazing because I feel special.
Reply 23
i have been told many a time its illegible so im hoping this is right...:P
I got both Messy and Smart handwriting and I'm quite average at knowledge, but also on certain things I know a lot more, some a lot less, just depends.

Btw some girls I know who have nice writing are smart.
My writing becomes horrendously messy during exams because I'm rushing so much to get all the information I want in and I find that being left-handed doesn't allow my hand to glide easily along the page whilst writing. For one of my 'mocks' last term I actually had to type up my essay for my tutor to read it :rofl:

Although when I'm not being rushed I do have fairly legible, albeit somewhat flamboyant, handwriting.
Reply 26
Original post by RedDevilThing
It's probably not relevant but somewhat ironically it was always the English teachers at school who had terrible handwriting. :lol:

As for me I know I can write neatly but I don't because it really slows me down and quite frankly I don't have the time or patience, so it just ends up messy.

My English teacher had the nerve to say my hand writing was like hieroglyphics and then I pointed out his writing looks like someone had written without thumbs.
Reply 27
Original post by Namige
What about girls? If this is true then therefore most them aren't smart? I disagree.

I go to an all girls school and some or my friends are smart and their handwriting is really really messy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have an IQ of 157 http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42232940#post42232940...and my handwriting is messy...so I guess it's plausible!
Smarter people think faster, so theyd need to jot their ideas down faster.
Reply 30
Mine isn't messy - it's just childish.

It hasn't really progressed since primary school and I get jealous looking at other adults' handwriting even if it's illegible!
Reply 31
Original post by Ilyas
Smarter people think faster, so theyd need to jot their ideas down faster.

But even smarter people could jot down their fast thought ideas very neatly, whereas people who jot down their fast thought ideas very poorly would be "stupider".

:colondollar:
I'm gonna use a real life example

In exams the clever people in my class write really fast, which means they write 20% more in their essays more than the slower people

However in most exams the high evaluation marks come at the end of the essay and they're able to finish this, meaning that they end up getting more marks whilst the people that write neat & slow moan about how there's never enough minutes in exams

So it all comes down to cause and effect.

Messy handwriting = Writing faster

Writing faster = Being able to answer those A03 questions you need to get top marks

The people that get the top marks go to better unis and therefore are more likely to get better job

Therefore in most cases messy handwriting = smart people
Reply 33
Original post by TheGuy117
I have an IQ of 157 http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42232940#post42232940...and my handwriting is messy...so I guess it's plausible!

I did an IQ test in a clinical psychologists office and I deliberately failed and took the mickey out of it. I got 73 (borderline retarded), but they knew that it was much higher. It was to show them how rubbish IQ scores are. Complete pseudo science!
Reply 34
Original post by CoolStoryBroo

In exams the clever people in my class write really fast, which means they write 20% more in their essays more than the slower people

However in most exams the high evaluation marks come at the end of the essay and they're able to finish this, meaning that they end up getting more marks whilst the people that write neat & slow moan about how there's never enough minutes in exams

Writing faster = Being able to answer those A03 questions you need to get top marks

The people that get the top marks go to better unis and therefore are more likely to get better job

Just because they write faster and get more down on paper, doesn't mean the stuff they put down is correct. Some people write slower because they think more deeply.

Writing fast = smarter is *Farts loudly*
I'm pretty sure GPs try to have messy handwriting to make their prescriptions harder to copy.

This may be true in those people whose minds work faster than their hands, but it's just as likely to occur in people who have normally or even slow functioning minds but even slower motor co-ordination, so not necessarily. Additionally, as the poster above said, time spent on handwriting =/= speed at which they could be writing necessarily, to complicate things further.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CoolStoryBroo

We are not talking about people who have messy handwriting from writing at the speed of light in an exam, it's about people who generally have bad handwriting. Everyone has messy handwriting in exams.
Reply 37
No lol.
Reply 38
Generally, people with messy handwriting think too fast in relation to the speed at which they write, that's certainly the case for me. I could write nicely if I took time, but it's too slow and boring!
Reply 39
I'm standard intellect and have bad handwriting.

Quick Reply

Latest