The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any reason why? All I know is that he`s a politician not an educator and so got to where he is by answering hypothetical question hypothetically.
Original post by bobamam
Any reason why? All I know is that he`s a politician not an educator and so got to where he is by answering hypothetical question hypothetically.

:lulz:

USING THE TSR APP
Reply 3
He went to Oxford, so pretty good.
Here's a guy who's got a very bad academic history.

But it still doesn't mean he can't be good at his job.

sirrichardbranson.jpg

I say this as although I'm not impacted by Gove, I hope you're not going to turn this into a claim that he can't be very good at his job beciase he has a poor academic record.
Reply 5
Anyone know?

I know that it won't have any impact on the validity of his policies (lots of great teachers have average A-Levels and GCSEs), but I'm really curious to see what grades are seen as "acceptable" for a person to be the education secretary.
Reply 6
"He was initially state school educated in Aberdeen, later attending the independent Robert Gordon's college, to which he won a scholarship. From 1985 to 1988 he studied English at Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford, where he served as President of the Oxford Union. He was awarded a 2:1-degree."

From his wikipedia page, probably the best you're going to get.
:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gove
Original post by AwkwardWalrus
Anyone know?

I know that it won't have any impact on the validity of his policies (lots of great teachers have average A-Levels and GCSEs), but I'm really curious to see what grades are seen as "acceptable" for a person to be the education secretary.

Again, it doesn't make a difference. He's a politician and not a teacher.

Churchill was probably the greatest leader we've ever had. Rubbish at school. Great Politician and leader.

And as it's been said. He went to Oxford so I imagine it's quite high.

It's a strawman argument.

Is this part of a vocal, minority left wing smear campaign.(and I'm not a Tory)

Before you start, what qualifications are accepotale to be a successful businessman? See Branson above.
Could someone tell me Michael Gove's O-level and A-level results? Thanks

I can't find his results online, but he achieved a 2.1 at Oxford, where read English, so I imagine that they must have been top grades for the time.
Reply 9
Anyone know?

Next you'll be saying that you need an Economics degree to be Chancellor....
Original post by meenu89
Next you'll be saying that you need an Economics degree to be Chancellor....

Actually you don't. Why would you when you have a whole host of economists already working for the government and the BoE.

Why isn't the Minister for Defence a (ex) miltary man/woman?
Minsiter for Health a Dr?

They all take advice off the civil service.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Again, it doesn't make a difference. He's a politician and not a teacher.

Churchill was probably the greatest leader we've ever had. Rubbish at school. Great Politician and leader.

And as it's been said. He went to Oxford so I imagine it's quite high.

It's a strawman argument.

Is this part of a vocal, minority left wing smear campaign.(and I'm not a Tory)

Before you start, what qualifications are accepotale to be a successful businessman? See Branson above.

I'm not trying to make any political statement. I was just curious to see his grades and couldn't find them on the internet.

To answer your last question, there are no grades acceptable for a business man because business is about management skills and experiences. You could probably increase your chances of being successful first time if you knew most of it already (about economics, trade etc ...), but can get away with picking everything up as you go along.
Actually you don't. Why would you when you have a whole host of economists already working for the government and the BoE.

Why isn't the Minister for Defence a (ex) miltary man/woman?
Minsiter for Health a Dr?

They all take advice off the civil service.

Alternatively they listen to the advice of the civil service and actively choose to ignore it.

*cough* DoH *cough*
I'm not trying to make any political statement. I was just curious to see his grades and couldn't find them on the internet.

To answer your last question, there are no grades acceptable for a business man because business is about management skills and experiences. You could probably increase your chances of being successful first time if you knew most of it already (about economics, trade etc ...), but can get away with picking everything up as you go along.

Actually there are qualifications for that. MSc's, MBA's etc. And I've just highighted what a cabinet Minister needs. It's no difference to a businessman.
Reply 14
Here's a guy who's got a very bad academic history.

But it still doesn't mean he can't be good at his job.

sirrichardbranson.jpg

I say this as although I'm not impacted by Gove, I hope you're not going to turn this into a claim that he can't be very good at his job beciase he has a poor academic record.

Well no, a bad academic record doesn't mean he's bad at his job.

But everything he's done in office means he's bad at his job.
Original post by ThatPerson
I can't find his results online, but he achieved a 2.1 at Oxford, where read English, so I imagine that they must have been top grades for the time.

He studied at Robert Gordons in Aberdeen, so his schooling would have followed the Scottish system of O grades and then Highers.
I think you should put the right person in the right place eg in the mod (ministry of defence) should be a high ranking military person with an engineering background with a hint of diplomacy, at least they will know the art of war and defence. And he won't be fooled by advisors in it for themselves. They will know what weapons to get and what their capabilities are (unlike what happened with the f 35 blunder) lmao. Just a thought. That was one example. Another would be the health minister should be an excellent doctor who doesn't memorise facts but understands them. They should also have a background in management. At least they won't be fooled by lobbyists from big pharma in it to further their own cause. And they should be able to make good policies and not like the ridiculous policies in place now where the nhs is sinking like the last 5 minutes of the titanic. Simple and logical. I am in the medical field btw
(edited 6 years ago)
Gove not only gained access to Oxford but he also won a scholorship to attend a private school from a fairly average middle class background (like Thatcher his parents owned a small business). There's little doubt objectively that he's one of the more intelligent members of parliament from a purely academic point of view.

Additionally, while one may disagree with his proposals (though he has his fans like me) he is widely considered a reformist and pretty talented when it comes to politics and pushing his agenda successfully.
you don't need loads of qualifications to make a success of politics. Hitler never went to yoony, but he did ever so well in the German government.
Original post by the bear
you don't need loads of qualifications to make a success of politics. Hitler never went to yoony, but he did ever so well in the German government.

That was an anomaly. And it didn't really end well for him did it.:-P even though he had exceptional powers of persuasion.

Latest

Trending

Trending