The Student Room Group

Messy handwriting = smart people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vionar
Generally, people with messy handwriting think too fast in relation to the speed at which they write, that's certainly the case for me. I could write nicely if I took time, but it's too slow and boring!

Not necessarily, though. I have extremely messy handwriting and while I'm not stupid that's more down to my extremely poor co-ordination in my hands than the fact that my mind is working faster. I would have thought that more intelligent people would be able to have a leash over their minds and be able to organise their thoughts, even if they're coming faster than they can commit them to paper. Thinking doesn't have to be communicated instantaneously.
Of course some people are just bad at writing, but , for some, it's a sign of the brain working faster than the body is capable of physically outputting.

If anyone knows mbti theory, this is mostly a trait of introverted perceivers who draw on every idea all at once while they work. The pen cannot keep up with the mind!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What?

So, then, by that reasoning, people with neat handwriting are stupid?

I'm afraid that you can't just conjure up links - you'll also be interested to know that a number of dyslexic people have messy handwriting, but do we then make a link that messy handwriting=dyslexic? No, because there are also many dyslexic people who have very neat handwriting in fact.
i have messy handwriting.. that automatically makes me a genius? right?
Reply 44
Original post by HumanSupremacist
What?

So, then, by that reasoning, people with neat handwriting are stupid?

I'm afraid that you can't just conjure up links - you'll also be interested to know that a number of dyslexic people have messy handwriting, but do we then make a link that messy handwriting=dyslexic? No, because there are also many dyslexic people who have very neat handwriting in fact.

From all the comments I've read HumanSupremacist, I think this is the smartest.

People saying handwriting is just down to practice nonsense and that messier equals smarter. Most of the population have messy handwriting, so does that make most of the population intelligent???

I agree with you completely, people making these radical claims and links are mental. Fully agree with you.
Not always, but I think there is some sort of link.
Original post by stuart_aitken
The pen cannot keep up with the mind!

Intelligent people should be more than capable of logging their thoughts or even jotting them down before just vomiting them on to paper. If the mind thinks faster than the hand, simply allow the mind to run its course on a subject, scribble the ideas down and then use the hand to carefully commit these ideas to another sheet of paper. This is probably what the leagues of intelligent people with neat handwriting already do. Just another tenuous stereotype native to the inner folds of the Daily Fail.
Original post by Rascacielos

And let me guess, people with blonde hair are stupid and people with very pointy noses are devious? :rolleyes:
Original post by Enavor
does that mean more intelligent people exist than stupid people? I doubt that highly.

What does this even mean? Whether someone is intelligent or stupid is determined by how intelligent they are compared to the average, so there has to be the same amount of intelligent and stupid people.
Reply 49
Original post by Rascacielos

is that because your handwriting is messy?
Reply 50
Original post by Tuerin
Not necessarily, though. I have extremely messy handwriting and while I'm not stupid that's more down to my extremely poor co-ordination in my hands than the fact that my mind is working faster. I would have thought that more intelligent people would be able to have a leash over their minds and be able to organise their thoughts, even if they're coming faster than they can commit them to paper. Thinking doesn't have to be communicated instantaneously.

That's a good point, I didn't really think about co-ordination. I wouldn't have thought that they have a leash over their minds though, many extremely clever people are diagnosed with schizophrenia, so they don't exactly have lots control over their minds. Personally, when I have an idea, it has to be written down, else I'll forget it in an instant, even though I can remember so many useless things! The whole thread is only based on peoples' stories, so it can't be reliable, there could be so many other reasons for messy handwriting, if there even is one!
Yhhhhylylltttytyu
Original post by Tuerin
Intelligent people should be more than capable of logging their thoughts or even jotting them down before just vomiting them on to paper. If the mind thinks faster than the hand, simply allow the mind to run its course on a subject, scribble the ideas down and then use the hand to carefully commit these ideas to another sheet of paper. This is probably what the leagues of intelligent people with neat handwriting already do. Just another tenuous stereotype native to the inner folds of the Daily Fail.

All of this is very erroneous and superfluous generalizations. There are many examples of actual geniuses who were very disorganized and messy but were still successful in coming up with successful ideas and creating things and whatnot. At the same time, there are also many examples of highly intelligent geniuses who were organized and neat, some to the point of obsessiveness.

In short, these random links have been created from thin air.
Reply 53
Original post by manchesterunited15
What does this even mean? Whether someone is intelligent or stupid is determined by how intelligent they are compared to the average, so there has to be the same amount of intelligent and stupid people.

Fair point, I'll clarify for you.

People say messy = smarter in some posts. I assume they mean smarter than average; if my assumption is wrong then I apologise.

I'm saying that more people have messier hand writing than neat. If a sample of 100 letters were written, about 65 or so would be considered "messy".

Does that mean 65% of the sample is smarter than the average bloke, which some posters assume?
Reply 54
Thanks guys for all your help!!! Sometime I need someone to answer or I get restless because of my stupid curiosity.
From what I've read from the comments, most people are saying how smart people tend to think of a Lot of ideas and tend to jot them down before they forget. So their handwriting Becomes messy.

I don't know what to think of that because when I'm bursting with ideas I do jot them down but I'm far away from being smart - in certain subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. :colonhash:
Original post by Enavor
But even smarter people could jot down their fast thought ideas very neatly, whereas people who jot down their fast thought ideas very poorly would be "stupider".

:colondollar:

I was generalizing that faster writing means messier writing.
My writing is pretty neat it say my maths exams because I have no idea what I'm doing thus take my time, but in say Classics it is really messy because I rush to make sure I include everything, etc since I understand it much more
Original post by Enavor
is that because your handwriting is messy?

It's average.

Original post by HumanSupremacist
And let me guess, people with blonde hair are stupid and people with very pointy noses are devious? :rolleyes:

Note I said "not always."

I base my answer on the fact that there are generations of teachers/teaching assistants in my family and they have always commented on the most intelligent students often having messy handwriting.
Reply 59
Original post by Ilyas
I was generalizing that faster writing means messier writing.

Noo0o0o0o0o0o0o0ope! you said and I quote again,

Smarter people think faster, so theyd need to jot their ideas down faster.

closed quote.

Quick Reply