The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmz
Anyone plan on applying to leeds?

I'm not so keen any more. If you have a look earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that you no longer get extra points for having achieved grades :frown: Plus, it's quite a risky choice now they put so much weight onto PS.
Reply 201
Original post by ameelia22
I'm not so keen any more. If you have a look earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that you no longer get extra points for having achieved grades :frown: Plus, it's quite a risky choice now they put so much weight onto PS.

I'll be applying with my graduate grades and I won't finish that till next summer, I've applied twice so I know what to fix by now hopefully, and I kinda like it here. Where do you plan on applying to now instead?
Original post by dmz
I'll be applying with my graduate grades and I won't finish that till next summer, I've applied twice so I know what to fix by now hopefully, and I kinda like it here. Where do you plan on applying to now instead?

Ah I see.

I'm not sure, entirely dependant on the UKCAT really, but I'm open to any and all :P

I was extremely keen on Sheffield but they were wild this year, rejecting a lot of top people, and no-reapplicants on TSR having been given an offer makes me doubtful. Another risky choice, having based so much on PS.

BSMS would be lovely, mainly because I like the course structure, and I would so love to live in Brighton :P

If the UKCAT went really well, I'd put down Newcastle for sure though, I loved it when I went.
Original post by dmz
Anyone plan on applying to leeds?

I will be for sure, it's a risky option but i love the medical school. I'm going to put three others choices were I have a firm chance at getting an interview newcastle and st georges ect if i do well in ukcat. so hopefully the risk will pay off.
Reply 204
Hey can anyone let me know if we can take on more A levels during your gap year???
Reply 205
Also does Birmingham still put heavy emphasis on your GCSE's if your A level grades compensate for it????
Reply 206
Original post by Doctor123
Hey can anyone let me know if we can take on more A levels during your gap year???

I might ask unis about this because I'm curious as well. My problem is that I only took Biology in year 13 so will have done AS Biology when I apply but I thought I might as well finish the A Level during my gap year. I know I'll still only be eligible to apply to unis that require Biology at AS and not A2 but I don't know if they'll think that because I've completed it after the 2 years of A-Levels that it will invalidate my AS Biology qualification.

I just don't want to screw up my application and make it complicated by finishing off the A Level so might just go over the material but not do the exams. I really don't know though.
Reply 207
Original post by Richyp22
I will be for sure, it's a risky option but i love the medical school. I'm going to put three others choices were I have a firm chance at getting an interview newcastle and st georges ect if i do well in ukcat. so hopefully the risk will pay off.

nice city/town (whatever it is). Yea, i guess quite a lot is going to be down to the UKCAT
Reply 208
Hello :smile: sorry I wasn't sure which thread to reply to. I'm in year 12 so I will be applying to university this year to study medicine - please tell me which university you favour and why. For example, if you've attended open days what was the campus like etc. I've been trying to research but university websites aren't that helpful. Thank you for any help/ advise you can give.
Reply 209
Original post by Katy1704
Hello :smile: sorry I wasn't sure which thread to reply to. I'm in year 12 so I will be applying to university this year to study medicine - please tell me which university you favour and why. For example, if you've attended open days what was the campus like etc. I've been trying to research but university websites aren't that helpful. Thank you for any help/ advise you can give.

When I was in your position last year I think the most useful thing that I was told was to apply strategically. By all means, the location and campus plays quite an important role in deciding where to apply but ultimately you need to try and choose the ones that you would also most likely get in. I found this page quite useful in helping me decide. A lot of this can be dependent on your UKCAT score though so personally I would recommend sitting it early (maybe a few weeks after your exams) so you have enough time to consider all of your options carefully.

There's loads of information on the TSR medicine wiki pages so I'd suggest exploring them and see if that helps :smile: Best of luck to you!
Reply 210
Original post by kimsiclez
I might ask unis about this because I'm curious as well. My problem is that I only took Biology in year 13 so will have done AS Biology when I apply but I thought I might as well finish the A Level during my gap year. I know I'll still only be eligible to apply to unis that require Biology at AS and not A2 but I don't know if they'll think that because I've completed it after the 2 years of A-Levels that it will invalidate my AS Biology qualification.

I just don't want to screw up my application and make it complicated by finishing off the A Level so might just go over the material but not do the exams. I really don't know though.

or potentially start a different science A level or Maths? And complete it in a year?? Do you know which unis use the tarriff system (apart from barts)
Reply 211
Have you guys all started applying for jobs yet or will you wait until exams are over? :smile:
Reply 212
Original post by Kev.1995
Have you guys all started applying for jobs yet or will you wait until exams are over? :smile:

I think for hospital posts (eg. HCA, Auxiliary Nurse etc.) most of us are applying now purely because it could take 2-4 months for the paperwork to be sorted and to finally start so it would be nice to be able to wrote about it on our PSs.

Original post by Doctor123
or potentially start a different science A level or Maths? And complete it in a year?? Do you know which unis use the tarriff system (apart from barts)

Exactly. As far as I'm aware Barts is the only one.
Does anyone else know why/find it really annoying how you can only enter 11 qualifications on NHS jobs?!
I'm guessing everyone on here has more than eleven like I do... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 214
Original post by annaridgway95
Does anyone else know why/find it really annoying how you can only enter 11 qualifications on NHS jobs?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

GCSE's alone I have more than 11! I've just entered my predicted A levels and my achieved AS's though..
GCSE's alone I have more than 11! I've just entered my predicted A levels and my achieved AS's though..

Ah right, yeah that's a good idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 216

Yeah I just put my most relevant ones, ASs and GCSE Maths/Science/English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 217

Posted from TSR Mobile

I entered mine all for eg I put re/add science grade a* a* in one row. Is that cheating ? :redface:

Also I just received an unsuccessful emàil for for a hca post almost feels like ucas 2013 cycle again :redface:
Original post by jojo1995
I entered mine all for eg I put re/add science grade a* a* in one row. Is that cheating ? :redface:

Also I just received an unsuccessful emàil for for a hca post almost feels like ucas 2013 cycle again :redface:

Haha I've done that too! ..aw no /: well at least you've heard something, I've applied for 12 jobs so far and heard nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 219
Haha I've done that too! ..aw no /: well at least you've heard something, I've applied for 12 jobs so far and heard nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha great minds ..:tongue:
I haven't actually applied for any on the NHS job site, the form is so long and I've never had a job before so idk. I don't know what to do with myself lol.
I'm sure you'll hear something soon, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending