The Student Room Group

What to talk about down the pub?

I have a little meet up with a new mate down the pub later this week, yet I don't have much in common with the guy apart from boring stuff, such as languages and politics.

Is it acceptable to talk about stuff like that down the pub, or do you think it will appear too boring? I don't want to sound boring to my mate.

Yet, socially, we have very little in common.

Is it wise to cancel the meet-up, thus risking being labelled unsociable forevermore?

Scroll to see replies

Ask him if he saw that ludicrous display last night.
show him some really great videos of cats on treadmills. i cant recomend this one enough - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1k86fWsmRE and this one is also pretty good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVjzd320gew
they will provide hours of entertainment and you can't beat a cat on a treadmill. conversation = solved.
Reply 3
If you run out of cats on treadmills, you should try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-58hQ9dLk

If it doesn't make them laugh, it will at least fit the mood quite nicely.
Any serious replies?
Cats on treadmills is a frequent topic of conversation amongst my friends and i at our local pub. we often have people joining us in our conversations who are so fascinated by them.
Reply 6
Why are you friends with someone you have nothing in common with? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by snagprophet
ask him if he saw that ludicrous display last night.

I have run out of upvotes but i would give you a hundred if i could!

Anyway, surely if you're friends, you should have something to talk about? If not, just try something general like music or films - eventually you'll find a topic that you're both interested in and you'll hit it off. If you don't, then you probably aren't gonna be friends for long.
(edited 11 years ago)
Gaming? Music? Plans for summer? :dontknow:
What the hell, dude? Is he your mate or not? Why would you want to be friends with him (and not appear boring to him) if you don't have much in common?

Talking about anything that is of interest to two too is fine. Language, politics, world news, sports, music, movies, uni... the possibilities are endless.

Cancelling a meet-up because you're unsure what to talk about is just lame.
Tbh if you can't sit down with someone and find something to talk about you just have poor social skills.
If you have stuff like languages & politics in common then it's not boring.
Reply 12
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
Cats on treadmills is a frequent topic of conversation amongst my friends and i at our local pub. we often have people joining us in our conversations who are so fascinated by them.

Can I join you? :colondollar:
Original post by doggyfizzel
Tbh if you can't sit down with someone and find something to talk about you just have poor social skills.

Yes, this is true. I have autism.
Original post by rstar28
Why are you friends with someone you have nothing in common with? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you read one's OP?

I have things in common with him, but I find that he doesn't talk about it much, like he's expecting me to say something more interesting or exciting, or something.
Original post by JagSan
Can I join you? :colondollar:

of course, any time.

ps. to the doubters - SEE PEOPLE LiKE CATS ON TREADMILLS.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I have a little meet up with a new mate down the pub later this week, yet I don't have much in common with the guy apart from boring stuff, such as languages and politics.

Is it acceptable to talk about stuff like that down the pub, or do you think it will appear too boring? I don't want to sound boring to my mate.

Yet, socially, we have very little in common.

Is it wise to cancel the meet-up, thus risking being labelled unsociable forevermore?

It depends on the pub. Sometimes the innkeeper will hang a large blackboard behind the bar listing the topics that he deems acceptable to talk about on the premises. Other places are more lenient. If in doubt, ask one of the bar staff.
Reply 17
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
show him some really great videos of cats on treadmills. i cant recomend this one enough - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1k86fWsmRE and this one is also pretty good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVjzd320gew
they will provide hours of entertainment and you can't beat a cat on a treadmill. conversation = solved.

Why would you post that?! I am going to be lost in the cat section of YouTube for hours now!

OP - you will find something to talk about. Music, films, TV, mutual friends (in a nice way obviously - funny stories etc).

Once the drinks start flowing the conversation will make itself. If you run out of things to talk about, watch funny videos on YouTube - the ones above are a good start :smile:
Reply 18
Boris?
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Yes, this is true. I have autism.
Well I doubt someone who is your friend is going to assume you are just boring then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending