The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Facebook Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drunk In Time!
This analysis of Crecy and Poitiers, it wasn't by Andrew Ayton was it?

The whole postgrad thing is complicated. If you can afford the cost, without having to rely on a scholarship, then the world is pretty much your oyster. Hull has many things going for it, and its postgraduate History is shockingly good. Trouble is, it doesn't generally offer any funding.

Gorski is worth meeting/contacting. Actually, generally speaking, if there is any academic that really impresses you (with the possible exception of the really famous ones), if you send them an e-mail asking for advice etc, they'll probably reply and be happy to give you a hand.

Post-Roman Barbarian stuff is great! I did a bit of that in my 2nd year. Don't know if York does it. Worth it if it does.

Pre-Roman stuff, is also terrific. Again, don't know if York does it.

Come to think of it, I should probably start looking up what York DOES teach its Undergrad Historians... I'm probably going to be teaching them soon.

Nah, the analysis was by Brian Todd Carey. It's part of a fairly large book on medieval warfare, with loads of tactical diagrams - that's the main reason I read it :biggrin:

Yeah, PG funding does look rather ominous and foreboding. I might have some spare change in my back pocket at that point, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I get to it, I suppose. I gather that it's more difficult getting arts /humanities funding than it is science?

I've exchanged emails with a few academics before. I remember talking briefly to the head of Viking Studies at Nottingham, asking for some direction in my pursuit of Viking knowhow. She shamelessly self-promoted her own leading work, which was incredibly niche - was not impressed at all!

I'm sure I read on the module outlines that there's one on post-Roman barbarian migration, which I'll definitely have a look at. The thing is, Classical and Pre-Roman stuff sounds absolutely fantastic - I've actually been reading a bit about Bronze Age archaeology by David Miles - but York seem quite specific that their course is dated 'The Fall of Rome - Present Day', which seems to exclude a lot of earlier stuff that presumably a Classics or Ancient History degree would cover instead.

Ooo, maybe you'll end up teaching me over the course of the next few years, haha.
University of York
York
Original post by SimpleTom
I can't foresee myself maintaining a relationship living so far away from London to be honest.

So no problem, you can be my wingman up in York :biggrin:

Ha! Whilst I'm sure I could make you look like Brad Pitt by comparison, I think my "wingman" days are over.
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Nah, the analysis was by Brian Todd Carey. It's part of a fairly large book on medieval warfare, with loads of tactical diagrams - that's the main reason I read it :biggrin:

Yeah, PG funding does look rather ominous and foreboding. I might have some spare change in my back pocket at that point, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I get to it, I suppose. I gather that it's more difficult getting arts /humanities funding than it is science?

I've exchanged emails with a few academics before. I remember talking briefly to the head of Viking Studies at Nottingham, asking for some direction in my pursuit of Viking knowhow. She shamelessly self-promoted her own leading work, which was incredibly niche - was not impressed at all!

I'm sure I read on the module outlines that there's one on post-Roman barbarian migration, which I'll definitely have a look at. The thing is, Classical and Pre-Roman stuff sounds absolutely fantastic - I've actually been reading a bit about Bronze Age archaeology by David Miles - but York seem quite specific that their course is dated 'The Fall of Rome - Present Day', which seems to exclude a lot of earlier stuff that presumably a Classics or Ancient History degree would cover instead.

Ooo, maybe you'll end up teaching me over the course of the next few years, haha.

I'd recommend my old friend Andrew's book "Crecy". There's a lot on retinue lists and army organisation, but he writes a chapter on re-interpreting sources in which he talks about mixed-arms tactics in the 14th Century.

Makes SO much sense its shocking how we ever fell for the whole massed archers arrow-storm rubbish.

I'm not sure how difficult getting funding is compared with other subjects. All I know is, this is my last attempt - I've done it several times already. Enough!

As you say, cross that bridge when you come to it. Who knows, by the time you get to PG, perhaps the situation could have changed and certain restraints would have eased.

Many are self-referential, but frequently not without justification. Who did you contact?

Hmm. It appears the Barbarian things are much the same at York as they were at Hull. Is it reasonable to assume that the 2 Unis History departments have close links?

Still, you will find the post-Roman stuff EXTREMELY interesting. I loved it. Got 2 Firsts for it, as I recall.

Ha! Maybe. Be warned, my teaching style has been remarked upon as being unusually violent.
I'd recommend my old friend Andrew's book "Crecy". There's a lot on retinue lists and army organisation, but he writes a chapter on re-interpreting sources in which he talks about mixed-arms tactics in the 14th Century.

Makes SO much sense its shocking how we ever fell for the whole massed archers arrow-storm rubbish.

I'm not sure how difficult getting funding is compared with other subjects. All I know is, this is my last attempt - I've done it several times already. Enough!

As you say, cross that bridge when you come to it. Who knows, by the time you get to PG, perhaps the situation could have changed and certain restraints would have eased.

Many are self-referential, but frequently not without justification. Who did you contact?

Hmm. It appears the Barbarian things are much the same at York as they were at Hull. Is it reasonable to assume that the 2 Unis History departments have close links?

Still, you will find the post-Roman stuff EXTREMELY interesting. I loved it. Got 2 Firsts for it, as I recall.

Ha! Maybe. Be warned, my teaching style has been remarked upon as being unusually violent.

I'll be sure to add it to my ever-increasing reading list. With regards to PG stuff, I change my mind about my future every couple of weeks, so goodness knows how I'll feel at the end of my degree. I spoke to Judith Jesch at Nottingham, for what it's worth: I asked if she could recommend some reading for a broad overview of Viking conquest, and she linked me to the amazon page for one of her books about Viking Women at Home (to paraphrase).

York and Hull seem to have a working partnership for medicine, and the two cities must be well linked historically due to locality. It would be strange if they didn't maximise their resources in an area of history so pertinent to the local geographical area.

I genuinely cannot wait for UG History, full stop. I've never studied Medieval History at school. The syllabus at my school; whilst geographically broad, is predominantly modern. You tend to get bombarded with Nazis and Communists.

And I can deal with violent. One of my history teachers has an unnerving record of turning up to lessons with half a bottle of wine in their hand and dark bags under their eyes. Stands to reason that they're a former student...
Reply 44
Ha! Whilst I'm sure I could make you look like Brad Pitt by comparison, I think my "wingman" days are over.

You must be reasonably good looking then, I am way better looking than Brad Pitt.

:biggrin:

How old are you?
You must be reasonably good looking then, I am way better looking than Brad Pitt.

:biggrin:

How old are you?

I'm 26.

Unfortunately, all this is academic. I've just been told I didn't get the funding.

Hope you do well, my friend. Good luck in your future studies.
Reply 46
I'm 26.

Unfortunately, all this is academic. I've just been told I didn't get the funding.

That is a shame, is there any way you can appeal? I am a future law student, maybe I can help :P

If not, I bid you good luck in your future studies! I am positive things will sort themselves out for you.
That is a shame, is there any way you can appeal? I am a future law student, maybe I can help :P

If not, I bid you good luck in your future studies! I am positive things will sort themselves out for you.

Wish there was and wish you could. But thanks, bro! Appreciated.

That's it for me, I'm afraid. Last chance for PhD.

If you know of a job going - I mean absolutely anything, anywhere - please let me know.
I'm 26.

Really sorry to hear that, man. I'm sure you'll bounce back and endeavour in whatever you choose to do.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Really sorry to hear that, man. I'm sure you'll bounce back and endeavour in whatever you choose to do.

Much appreciated.

Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll do well, bud.

Oh, and if you see Mark Ormrod about, punch him for me will you?
Much appreciated.

Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll do well, bud.

Oh, and if you see Mark Ormrod about, punch him for me will you?

I'm not entirely sure who that is, but it would be my absolute honour.
I'm not entirely sure who that is, but it would be my absolute honour.

I'm sorry. I shouldn't be bitter, but I am.

Thanks, mate. You'll go far, I'm sure.

If you ever need any advice (I was very successful as an Undergrad before I got ill, which kinda put a spanner in the works, really), don't hesitate to contact me.
I'm sorry. I shouldn't be bitter, but I am.

Thanks, mate. You'll go far, I'm sure.

If you ever need any advice (I was very successful as an Undergrad before I got ill, which kinda put a spanner in the works, really), don't hesitate to contact me.

I guess everyone deals with disappointment at some stage or another. You'll be better for it, and it's very kind of you to say that I'll do well :smile:.

I'll add you as a TSR friend, if that's ok? Goodness knows, I probably will need help at one point or another :smile:.
I guess everyone deals with disappointment at some stage or another. You'll be better for it, and it's very kind of you to say that I'll do well :smile:.

I'll add you as a TSR friend, if that's ok? Goodness knows, I probably will need help at one point or another :smile:.

Well, here's hoping. Cheers!

Of course! Anytime. No worries.
Reply 54
Hi,
I am a student at Durham Uni now!
Is anyone coming early to the University before Oct 2013 and requires accommodation?
I know that some people are coming for pre-sessional courses! Staying with the university is expensive and the colleges that are open are those furthest from town!
If anyone is interested I have a room for rent for 3 months from the beginning of July till the end of September 2013.
If you are undecided between college or living out this is an opportunity to try to live out.
It is a really nice spacious place with a double bed which is at a convenient location in Durham, near school and near town.
If you are interested do drop me a private message
Original post by GoJean
Hi,
I am a student at Durham Uni now!
Is anyone coming early to the University before Oct 2013 and requires accommodation?
I know that some people are coming for pre-sessional courses! Staying with the university is expensive and the colleges that are open are those furthest from town!
If anyone is interested I have a room for rent for 3 months from the beginning of July till the end of September 2013.
If you are undecided between college or living out this is an opportunity to try to live out.
It is a really nice spacious place with a double bed which is at a convenient location in Durham, near school and near town.
If you are interested do drop me a private message

Wrong uni, pal :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending