The Student Room Group

Current year 11's - do you know what uni course you want to study?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alice_c_97
Hey all,
Kinda new to this so sorry if this is wrong :confused:
Just really wondering if anyone knows what uni course they're going to take & what a-levels etc.
Please answer:

predicted GCSE grades:
A-levels you plan on taking:
University plans (if any) :
Which university:
Work experience:

My predicted grades are all A/A* and I plan on taking biology, chemistry and Spanish for definite next year, just unsure on my 4th :/ I hope to study either medicine/nursing/pharmacy at university hopefully in London, Bristol or Birmingham. I'm also taking part in extra-cirriculars to help myself 'stand out' from everyone:L

I've been thinking about the future a lot and just wondered if I was the only one?!

I think it'd be useful for you if you also take Maths at A-level, because I think it's quite important for the careers you want to go into.

predicted GCSE grades: Can't remember the exact ones but they're all A/A*

A-levels you plan on taking: Maths (hopefully Further Maths as well), Chemistry, Biology and French.

University plans (if any) : Medicine, most probably.

Which university: Hopefully, Cambridge.

Work experience: None yet, but I'm definitely getting some in a couple of months ad it's most probably just gonna be at a clothes shop or a pharmacy or even a supermarket, I'm not really picky about it.

Hope it helped :smile:
Well, I want to do medicine...though I'm scared I won't get enough A*s in my GCSEs. Currently, at the rate I'm going (not caring much...) I'm being predicted 5 A*s..hmm

My A-Level Options are: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature.
What degree I want to do: Medicine
What uni: Any Russell Group uni would be nice haha.
Work Experience: Nothing medicine related....but I once did a week of work experience at the House of Lords :smile:

How many A*s (in my GCSEs) do I need to be able to do medicine at a good uni??
Reply 182
I certainly want to do Engineering but I'm not sure what field. The Unis I want to go to are unis that offer a "General Engineering" Course for the first year and allow you to choose the discipline later. In the worst case scenario, I'll do Electronic Engineering.
Reply 183
Achieve IGCSE grades A*A
predicted IGCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*AA
A-levels you plan on taking: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology
University plans (if any) : Medicine
Which university: University of Cambridge, UCL, don't know....
Work experience: volunteering in the elderly, organising and planning charity performance, doing to get some in the summer
Reply 184
Achieved GCSE grades: 3 A*s, 4 As, 1B, 1 distinction(BTEC) (and an A in AS philosophy)
predicted GCSE grades: AAAAAA*A*
A-levels you plan on taking: Maths, Physics, English Lit., Psychology, French...maybe art?
University plans (if any) : Philosophy, or joint honours philosophy/maths
Which university: Cambridge or York or Leeds or something, hopefully Cam :smile:
Work experience:
At local MPs office, Helping in lessons in school

and hey, you're not the only one thinking about this kinda stuff :wink: have you seen the super juicy current year 11 thread? :biggrin:
Reply 185
Age 16
Predicted grades are A*AAAAAABB
a levels im thinking of doing are biology chemistry history and english literature
University course: dentistry
Universities:leeds, liverpool
Work experience:clothes shop
Shoe shop
HSBC bank
Nursery
(Hopefully going to get some medicine / dentistry related over summer)
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by ismailjan3
Well, I want to do medicine...though I'm scared I won't get enough A*s in my GCSEs. Currently, at the rate I'm going (not caring much...) I'm being predicted 5 A*s..hmm

My A-Level Options are: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature.
What degree I want to do: Medicine
What uni: Any Russell Group uni would be nice haha.
Work Experience: Nothing medicine related....but I once did a week of work experience at the House of Lords :smile:

How many A*s (in my GCSEs) do I need to be able to do medicine at a good uni??

Different uni's say different things but for Birmingham you need at least 8 A*'s including Maths, sciences and English lang/lit. It's also likely to go up by the time we're applying!:O
Hey all,
Just really wondering if anyone knows what uni course they're going to take & what a-levels etc.
Please answer:

predicted GCSE grades:
Which university:
Work experience:

My predicted grades are all A/A* and I plan on taking biology, chemistry and Spanish for definite next year, just unsure on my 4th :/ I hope to study either medicine/nursing/pharmacy at university hopefully in London, Bristol or Birmingham. I'm also taking part in extra-cirriculars to help myself 'stand out' from everyone:L

I've been thinking about the future a lot and just wondered if I was the only one?!

i've been thinking about it a lot too, i'm starting to get really worried about exams now, my predicted grades are all As and Bs, getting all of them apart from A*s in both of the english exams instead of As and a C in maths, i'm hoping to study English Language, English literature, Biology, and History, hoping to go into journalism but if not something to do with law :smile:
Different uni's say different things but for Birmingham you need at least 8 A*'s including Maths, sciences and English lang/lit. It's also likely to go up by the time we're applying!:O

Yeah that sucks :frown: I guess I'll have to do a loooot of work lol.
predicted GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AA and Distinction (music btec LOL)
A-levels you plan on taking: Chemistry Biology Maths Further Maths
University plans (if any) : NatSci, or possibly Biochemistry and Genetics
Which university: NatSci - Cambridge Biochemistry and Genetics - Sheffield
Reply 190
predicted GCSE grades: A*s and As
A-levels you plan on taking: French, English Literature, Art and Biology
University plans (if any) : Management/ Marketing / Modern Foreign Languages/ Law. I have no idea, basically :')
Which university: Durham hopefully, or Bath. If not then Sheffield or Cardiff. :smile:
Work experience: None :') Might be doing a Law placement in summer :smile:
Predicted GCSE grades: 9A*s and 2 A's
A-levels you plan on taking: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History.
University plans (if any): Natural Sciences/Biology/Biochemistry.
Which university: Cambridge hopefully (if I get good AS module scores) if not then Bristol or Imperial.
Work experience: Week at Royal Marsden Cancer Hospital (Biomedical Sciences department) and week at Atkins (engineering company)
Hey all,
Please answer:

predicted GCSE grades:
Which university:
Work experience:

predicted GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*
A levels planned to take: Maths, Further Maths, History, Latin, Philosophy and Ethics
University Plans: History
Which University: Oxford (hopefully) but Warwick is okay I guess
Work Experience: ATM I only have a week working in a golf club (every possible job in it though). Will definitely get one related to History over this summer or the next if I can find one

predicted GCSE grades: 7A*s,4As, and a C (Short Course French)
A-levels you plan on taking: English Lit., Mathematics, Geography, Religious Studies, ICT, and Welsh Bacc.
University plans (if any) :Read Law
Which university:Oxford (I hope)
Work experience: Little law themed at the moment, so I'm organising some in a local solicitors for a week in the summer
Might do some more next year, as well as DofE, law based competitions and volunteer work
Predicted Standard Grade grades: ​6 1s and 2 2s ( 7 A/A* and 2 A/B rough estimation compared to GCSEs)
Highers you plan on taking: English, Math, Engineering Science, Physics and French
University plans (if any): Computer Science, Economics or Electrical Engineering
Which university: Ideally, Stanford or the M&T program at UPenn, UK choice EEM at Oxford *drools*
Work experience: A week at British Petroleum, a week at Chevron and a week at Maersk Oil. A little web development here and there.
Volunteering: Help out at a Homeless Shelter(dishing food) and a charity shop. Also lead a massive fundraiser for an organisation.
Prelim results: 4 1s, 3 2s, 1 3
Highers you plan on taking: Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English
University plans (if any): Biological Sciences/Biomedical Sciences/Biochemistry
Which university: Biological Sciences at University of Edinburgh
Work experience: 1 week work experience at a Commercial Microbiology lab.

Predicted GCSE Grades:
A* Maths (got it in November and now doing an FSMQ), A* Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, ICT, with As in English Lang/Lit and Spanish. At the moment, I'm on course for everything except Geography and Spanish.

A-Levels:
Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Computing and an EPQ.

University:
Looking to do Mathematics at Cambridge or Oxford, although I'll gladly go for Manchester or Warwick if I don't do too well in STEP.

Work Experience:
In terms of academic studies, I've self-taught myself 80% of the AS+A2 Maths syllabus and I hope to finish FP1,2 and maybe 3 in ~2 months; I have the textbook and a calculator, so it shouldn't be too strenuous :smile: I don't really have any work experience, but I don't really know of any to be had in maths. Somebody please tell me if there is, though!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fatart123
Predicted GCSE Grades:
A* Maths (got it in November and now doing an FSMQ), A* Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, ICT, with As in English Lang/Lit and Spanish. At the moment, I'm on course for everything except Geography and Spanish.

A-Levels:
Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Computing and an EPQ.

University:
Looking to do Mathematics at Cambridge or Oxford, although I'll gladly go for Manchester or Warwick if I don't do too well in STEP.

Work Experience:
In terms of academic studies, I've self-taught myself 80% of the AS+A2 Maths syllabus and I hope to finish FP1,2 and maybe 3 in ~2 months; I have the textbook and a calculator, so it shouldn't be too strenuous :smile: I don't really have any work experience, but I don't really know of any to be had in maths. Somebody please tell me if there is, though!

"Work experience" in maths isn't really a thing. You could tutor GCSE maths students or something, but that's about it. Neither common nor necessary to get into a top uni, anyway, but it could be helpful.

Good ECs like olympiad medals and stuff can be good too, but again not necessary. What's important is that you show that you're passionate about maths. Most top applicants do this by reading maths-related books and studying topics outside of the A-level syllabus.
Reply 198
Predicted grades: Art, English Language - A ; German, Geography, Physics, History, - B Maths and Biology - C ( I have done the whole GCSEs in one year, as I have done some other curriculum last year, so my grades would have been better)
A-levels you plan on taking: Art, Physics, Mathematics and Business Studies.

University plans: I want to do Industrial/Product Design
Which university: Coventry/Bournemouth/Loughborough/Huddersfield/Derby/something else
Work experience:Doing work experience this June, probably something linked to business.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've already got 5 A* and an A and i'm in year 11 atm. I'm aiming to get 8A*, then medicine at oxbridge or other Russel Group universities

Quick Reply

Latest