The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Discrete Maths

Have a conditional offer in Discrete Maths @ Warwick - not sure about the course - is it too niche and research-oriented? What are the job prospects? How does is compare with Mathematical Science @ Bath? Will appreciate any advice!!!
As far as I know, Warwick's Maths department is rated more highly than Bath's. And I wouldn't worry about the job prospects - maths graduates are in demand and so long as you enjoy maths and computer sciency stuff the course should suit you.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
My worry really is that discrete mathematics is a rather new course. It has been a core module of applied maths and computer science, but has only recently come up as a subject in which one can major in. MORSE seems to be more up my street, even though comp science does interest me, and i have very little prior knowledge of econ, my career objective as of now is to pursue a career in quantitative analysis. Also discrete seems to neglect areas in maths such as calculus (as the title of the course suggests really), which I have always liked. Help me out more though :P
Original post by ree0510
My worry really is that discrete mathematics is a rather new course. It has been a core module of applied maths and computer science, but has only recently come up as a subject in which one can major in. MORSE seems to be more up my street, even though comp science does interest me, and i have very little prior knowledge of econ, my career objective as of now is to pursue a career in quantitative analysis. Also discrete seems to neglect areas in maths such as calculus (as the title of the course suggests really), which I have always liked. Help me out more though :P

I do straight maths at Warwick, I have a couple of friends who do MORSE and 1 friend who does discrete maths. I love the maths here, the university really is great for maths.

The discrete maths course has many option in the first year, for instance you can do the differential equations module and you have to do the analysis first year modules. Which are both pretty calculusy! There's only 1 other module which maths take which discrete maths doesn't which is geometry and motion, this is all applied calculus basically, my friend didn't take this as an option, but I think you may be able to..

MORSE is similar to discrete maths in the sense that there's still loads of options, but rather than some of the programming and algorithm modules you have economics and stats ones.

Personally, if I were in your position, I would choose to do mathematical sciences at Bath, it's a great course at a great university still. That may be just because discrete maths wouldn't be the course for me. Also (I don't feel this way) but a lot of the maths students look down on the discrete maths students. It's also the course that they offer to maths applicants who just miss their grades (that's how my friend got onto it) and the teacher isn't as good, in the January analysis exam discrete maths students were destroyed because they weren't well enough prepared, a huge percentage failed completely, including my friend who got 17% in the exam.
Reply 4
Thanks, all. Were I to apply for a change to Maths/ Maths & Econ, how should I go about it? Am taking the STEP in June.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending