The Student Room Group

An Independent London? ( maybe with Home Counties?)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Every capital city is going to be richer than other cities of the same country.
It would be selfish to put its interests before the country as a whole.
After all, what would London be without the industrial revolutions of other cities like Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester. The canal system that linked them all. The manufacturing output that they produce etc.
Reply 81
Original post by a729
The EU bans us from going lower than 15%

Is there another tax that has a floor at 12.5% then (unless they've changed it).
Reply 82
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
You know, technically London is independent. William the conqueror gave left it as an independent state because he didn't have time to conquer it and it's been that way ever since.

Not true. For one thing that refers to the "City of London" only, which is only a very small part of what we call London these days.

Also, he didn't leave it as an independent state. He let the City have special rights and a level of autonomy that the rest of England didn't get, but it wasn't independent. In modern times the UK government certainly does rule over the City of London, regardless of the special rules that apply there.
Original post by Psyk
Not true. For one thing that refers to the "City of London" only, which is only a very small part of what we call London these days.

Also, he didn't leave it as an independent state. He let the City have special rights and a level of autonomy that the rest of England didn't get, but it wasn't independent. In modern times the UK government certainly does rule over the City of London, regardless of the special rules that apply there.

It's legally independent, and yes I was referring to the city of London. It just isn't put into practice, and is more a ceremonial situation.

You might want to check wikipedia out for your definitions before disagreeing with me for the sake of it..:console:

God you can't type anything on TSR without having someone grammar nazi worthy going for blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_city
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
It's legally independent, and yes I was referring to the city of London. It just isn't put into practice, and is more a ceremonial situation.

You might want to check wikipedia out for your definitions before disagreeing with me for the sake of it..:console:

God you can't type anything on TSR without having someone grammar nazi worthy going for blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_city

Well according to that it's not independent in the sense that it's an "independent state", which is what we're talking about here. Yes it's a special case when it comes to local government, but it's still legally part of the UK, and under the control of the UK government.

"An independent city or independent town is a city or town that does not form part of another general-purpose local government entity (such as a county)."

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's actually what you meant by saying it's "independent". But surely you can see that's misleading because it's not the sort of independence this thread is discussing.
Original post by Psyk
But surely you can see that's misleading because it's not the sort of independence this thread is discussing.

That's a fair point, I concede it was misleading. I didn't intend to imply that and looking over my post I can see you're right, I did. :tongue:
NOOOO.
South east yes.
London no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending