The Student Room Group

question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by davros
A' is just another name for a point - you could call it E or W or something if you prefer!

Hello, thanks pls can you answer the above two questions I have asked Mr M and ten of them too? pls , because I think they have went offline! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by laurawoods
Hello, thanks pls can you answer the above two questions I have asked Mr M and ten of them too? pls , because I think they have went offline! :smile:

I thought one of them had answered your range question in another thread? The answer is that it must be > and < (without the equals) because the graph approaches the limits of the range but never achieves them for any finite value of x (in technical terms, you have 2 horizontal asymptotes).

I can't tell you whether you'd get a vectors equation like the one you've found cos I'm not really familiar with the style of exam questions these days, but it looks like the sort of thing you can tackle if you know how to find equations of lines, find midpoints of a line joining 2 points, how to find a normal vector to a plane when you have the plane's cartesian equation and so on :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by davros
I thought one of them had answered your range question in another thread? The answer is that it must be > and < (without the equals) because the graph approaches the limits of the range but never achieves them for any finite value of x (in technical terms, you have 2 horizontal asymptotes).

I can't tell you whether you'd get a vectors equation like the one you've found cos I'm not really familiar with the style of exam questions these days, but it looks like the sort of thing you can tackle if you know how to find equations of lines, find midpoints of a line joining 2 points, how to find a normal vector to a plane when you have the plane's cartesian equation and so on :smile:

Ok thanks!

Please can you have a look at this one too:
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/2011_Jan_c3.pdf

Please can you have a look at question no 6 and then the last part of it where it says : Hence verify that the curve has a stationary point at (1, 1).. Would you get the marks for simply shoving in the values of x and y into the dy/dx that we have got and concluding that it does come to 0? Or do they require something else to be done(I did look at the mark scheme , but I don't really understand the layout)? Also , for Question no 8 part ii) same verification style question . Are we simply shoving in the value of x into the diff equation and concluding that yes , it does come to 0? Any tips would be helpful, thanks in advance!
ello, pls can you have a look at this question:
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c4_june_2012.pdf
Question no 8 ; the format seems to be very diff from edexcel vector questions; do u think we would get anything like this in our paper? A' etc is confusing me?

No
Reply 24
Original post by TenOfThem
No

pardon?
pardon?

You asked a question
I answered it
Reply 26
Original post by davros

You know you said that it doesn't touch , how do we recognise this? because when we type into calc
1+ 2arctan(-pi+1)

It doesn't really say maths error?????

And also the graph of arctanx on its own has got the range of x is greater than or equal to pi/2 , but less than or equal to pi/2. How come there is equal in this one???
Reply 27
Ok thanks!

Please can you have a look at this one too:
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/2011_Jan_c3.pdf

Please can you have a look at question no 6 and then the last part of it where it says : Hence verify that the curve has a stationary point at (1, 1).. Would you get the marks for simply shoving in the values of x and y into the dy/dx that we have got and concluding that it does come to 0? Or do they require something else to be done(I did look at the mark scheme , but I don't really understand the layout)? Also , for Question no 8 part ii) same verification style question . Are we simply shoving in the value of x into the diff equation and concluding that yes , it does come to 0? Any tips would be helpful, thanks in advance!

As far as I can see, yes in both questions verify means just put in the values of a point and confirm that dy/dx = 0 for that point. I think most of the marks are going to be awarded for doing the differentiation itself in these questions. It's always a good idea to show the examiner that you know what you're looking for, so I would begin your answer with something like "At a stationary point we require dy/dx = 0, so ..."
Reply 28
Original post by TenOfThem
You asked a question
I answered it

cool cool thanks!
Reply 29
You know you said that it doesn't touch , how do we recognise this? because when we type into calc
1+ 2arctan(-pi+1)

It doesn't really say maths error?????

And also the graph of arctanx on its own has got the range of x is greater than or equal to pi/2 , but less than or equal to pi/2. How come there is equal in this one???

You would need to enter arctan(infinity) to get the upper limit of your range, and infinity is not a number! Similarly for the lower limit.

According to my copy of Bostock and Chandler, the range of arctan x on its own is given as greater than -pi/2 and less than pi/2 which is what I would expect.

If you have a source that says differently, that is either a misprint or an error on the author's part!
Reply 30
Original post by Mr M
No, it is a reflection in the y axis.

-f(x) is a reflection in the x axis.

Hello , pls can you help me with this:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2327375&p=42315450
Reply 31
Original post by Mr M

Please can you have a look at question 9iv) on this paper? g(x) is an inverse function of f(x) ... they are asking to write down the domain of g(x). I thought this would be the range of f(x) and hence wrote that(equal sign included). But then when I looked at mark scheme they didn't have the equal signs. why?????

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c310ja_4753.pdf

I asked Davros and he said that he couldn't understand why that answer wouldn't be accepted!

Next, pls can you also look at this question from one of the MEI papers (question no 6 parts iii and iv). Those two questions looked beyond my capabilities ( i am doing edexcel) and was wondering if we would get anything like that?

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c406ju_83nd.pdf
Please can you have a look at question 9iv) on this paper? g(x) is an inverse function of f(x) ... they are asking to write down the domain of g(x). I thought this would be the range of f(x) and hence wrote that(equal sign included). But then when I looked at mark scheme they didn't have the equal signs. why?????

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c310ja_4753.pdf

I asked Davros and he said that he couldn't understand why that answer wouldn't be accepted!

Next, pls can you also look at this question from one of the MEI papers (question no 6 parts iii and iv). Those two questions looked beyond my capabilities ( i am doing edexcel) and was wondering if we would get anything like that?

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c406ju_83nd.pdf

Your first question, no idea - are you sure it isn't a typo/printing error?

The other questions don't look unduly difficult but I would advise you to stick to the materials for your own Awarding Body - there is so much stuff out there you really shouldn't run out.
Reply 33
Original post by Mr M
Your first question, no idea - are you sure it isn't a typo/printing error?

The other questions don't look unduly difficult but I would advise you to stick to the materials for your own Awarding Body - there is so much stuff out there you really shouldn't run out.

For the edexcel board, for C3 and C4, what are the available resources? I began on these MEI papers because someone said they were harder. Last time, I could comfortably do all questions on c3 Edexcel past papers and get A's comfortably, but in the actual Jan exam I only got a B. I think the reason was because I got too used to the format in which questions were asked; when something that was easy but looked vaguely different came up, I panicked and thought the questions were too difficult. So this time , I just wanted to look at questions from all sorts of resources, if u can understand what I mean! :smile: Pls can u tell me where i could find resources for edexcel? :smile: and I do want to do some challenging questions, rather than the standard stuff. You might say it is a myth, but I think the questions are getting a bit trickier (/ obscure) on these edexcel maths papers.... :smile: i don't know what ur thoughts are!
For the edexcel board, for C3 and C4, what are the available resources? I began on these MEI papers because someone said they were harder. Last time, I could comfortably do all questions on c3 Edexcel past papers and get A's comfortably, but in the actual Jan exam I only got a B. I think the reason was because I got too used to the format in which questions were asked; when something that was easy but looked vaguely different came up, I panicked and thought the questions were too difficult. So this time , I just wanted to look at questions from all sorts of resources, if u can understand what I mean! :smile: Pls can u tell me where i could find resources for edexcel? :smile: and I do want to do some challenging questions, rather than the standard stuff. You might say it is a myth, but I think the questions are getting a bit trickier (/ obscure) on these edexcel maths papers.... :smile: i don't know what ur thoughts are!

All provided by the board (Ask your teacher)
Standard Papers (from 2008 = 10 papers)
The Specimen Papers (1)
The Mock Papers (1)
The Practice Papers (5)

Solomon Papers (10 more papers)

Really cannot understand why you would need more than these
Reply 35
Original post by Mr M

Hello Mr M,
Please can you help me with this question?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2339316&p=42457676

I think that Tenofthem has gone offline now :smile: thanks for all the help offered! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest