The Student Room Group

Applying for Law

I am applying to study Law at university in a few months and I know that this is a tough course to get in to- especially for universities down south in England.

I am wondering what other activities I could do to put on my personal statement to demonstrate my keen interest and show my skills. I have done some work experience at the Crown Office and shadowed some lawyers. I have a couple of more placements at various law firms which should be interesting. I am also doing further reading on the subject and entering a couple of essay competitions.

There is no mooting or debating opportunities in my area so I am quite gutted about that. I have also been looking for volunteering work but have not had much luck.

What else should I do?

Thank you for the help ^.^!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You really don't need too much. Extra curricular takes up 1/3 of your personal statement at the most and you don't want to have so much that you can't elaborate at all. I had to miss things out when I wrote mine but you just have to choose the best things and briefly explain what you gained from them.
Maybe add some things to show you're 'rounded'. Like sports?
Original post by ed-
You really don't need too much. Extra curricular takes up 1/3 of your personal statement at the most and you don't want to have so much that you can't elaborate at all. I had to miss things out when I wrote mine but you just have to choose the best things and briefly explain what you gained from them.
Maybe add some things to show you're 'rounded'. Like sports?

I am not on any sport teams...I exercise daily by myself at the gym to keep fit. But that is totally irrelevant haha!

I have a keen interest in art but I don't know what I could really write about that to be honest.
Reply 3
Original post by Bubblyminty
I am not on any sport teams...I exercise daily by myself at the gym to keep fit. But that is totally irrelevant haha!

I have a keen interest in art but I don't know what I could really write about that to be honest.

When I wrote about sports and things I just said that it would allow me to 'embrace university life' and allow me to get involved and things like that. My thinking was that it would make me appear 'rounded' but whether it had any effect on their decision I have no idea :redface:
Reply 4
Wait, aren't just you going to lie ike everybody else!? :cool:

What makes you so special to make you think you have to tell the truth!
Original post by ed-
When I wrote about sports and things I just said that it would allow me to 'embrace university life' and allow me to get involved and things like that. My thinking was that it would make me appear 'rounded' but whether it had any effect on their decision I have no idea :redface:

What was the result if I may ask...?
Original post by Rybee
Wait, aren't just you going to lie ike everybody else!? :cool:

What makes you so special to make you think you have to tell the truth!

Haha, I just want to seem "different". I do not want to give the same generic answers that the admissions officers read 100 times over again.
Reply 7
What was the result if I may ask...?

Well I got all my offers and I've firmed York and insured Exeter (see sig :tongue:)
Here's my PS + offers. Hope it helps!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Law_64
Original post by ed-
Well I got all my offers and I've firmed York and insured Exeter (see sig :tongue:)
Here's my PS + offers. Hope it helps!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Law_64

Well done and I hope that you are enjoying university! All the people that I met during work experience have told me that studying law is amazing.

I see that you spoke about your A level subjects and how they tie in with the course, I am doing Scottish Highers which are equivalent to AS levels, so would I speak about them when I come to write my PS? My exams are in May and I am staying on to do 4 Advanced Highers which begin in August (A-levels equivalent), should I speak about them instead?

So the work experience does not count as "extra-curricular activities", right?

Extra curriculars aren't especially important in and of themselves. Law related ones are useful insofar as they can be used to shed light on why you are interested in the academic discipline of law but no further. Don't worry if you haven't captained the [insert irrelevant activity] team. You're not applying for the Ivy League. English universities take a more sensible approach.
Reply 10
Well done and I hope that you are enjoying university! All the people that I met during work experience have told me that studying law is amazing.

I see that you spoke about your A level subjects and how they tie in with the course, I am doing Scottish Highers which are equivalent to AS levels, so would I speak about them when I come to write my PS? My exams are in May and I am staying on to do 4 Advanced Highers which begin in August (A-levels equivalent), should I speak about them instead?

Ah I'm not there yet! Hopefully will be in October :biggrin:

Yeah I suppose it would work the same way. Everyone's different in their approach to their PS I think (what they think's relevant etc.) so it's really up to you. Do you have a tutor you could ask?
Personally I think it's definitely worth a mention though

I don't think so. Extra curricular is just what you do it your spare time.
I am applying to study Law at university in a few months and I know that this is a tough course to get in to- especially for universities down south in England.

I am wondering what other activities I could do to put on my personal statement to demonstrate my keen interest and show my skills. I have done some work experience at the Crown Office and shadowed some lawyers. I have a couple of more placements at various law firms which should be interesting. I am also doing further reading on the subject and entering a couple of essay competitions.

There is no mooting or debating opportunities in my area so I am quite gutted about that. I have also been looking for volunteering work but have not had much luck.

What else should I do?

Thank you for the help ^.^!

From what you've written it seems you've got more than enough which is good. I applied last year with not-so-good AS grades and got offers from decent unis and I credit that to my personal statement. I don't think there's really much more you could add because you've got a lot - it's more how you write your PS.

I found when writing mine, especially with the subjects, is to pick out an area of your subject and try and relate it to studying law. Don't fall into the trap of being a lawyer - relate it to studying a law degree because a law degree doesn't mean you'll be a lawyer. Try not to make tenuous links as well. I did the same as you - I read around a bit: Learning The Law - Glanville Williams and news articles (mainly the law related ones).

If you have a part-time job then put that in because that's quite valuable, although it's not necessary because it's pretty hard to get one anyway xD.

Other than that, what you've got looks great and you're in a good position. Your PS will be quite appealing and it shows you've a keen interest in law.
Original post by Pavzky
From what you've written it seems you've got more than enough which is good. I applied last year with not-so-good AS grades and got offers from decent unis and I credit that to my personal statement. I don't think there's really much more you could add because you've got a lot - it's more how you write your PS.

I found when writing mine, especially with the subjects, is to pick out an area of your subject and try and relate it to studying law. Don't fall into the trap of being a lawyer - relate it to studying a law degree because a law degree doesn't mean you'll be a lawyer. Try not to make tenuous links as well. I did the same as you - I read around a bit: Learning The Law - Glanville Williams and news articles (mainly the law related ones).

If you have a part-time job then put that in because that's quite valuable, although it's not necessary because it's pretty hard to get one anyway xD.

Other than that, what you've got looks great and you're in a good position. Your PS will be quite appealing and it shows you've a keen interest in law.

Oh thank you for the tips!

Yes, I have been told by some of the trainee solicitors that Law is an academic course as opposed to a vocational course. I am very interested in criminal law and want to be a barrister/ advocate, however I am wary that this may count against me if I put it on my PS. Like you said, studying Law does not necessarily mean that one will become a lawyer. Could you clarify what you mean by subject links being "tenuous" please?

Yes I have quite a hectic part time job which I should briefly mention. I work in my parents' restaurant which I could go on to talk about communication and time management skills etc.

I have been trying to keep up with the news articles and everything makes way more sense after working for the Crown! Other than that I think that I may move on to some less generic texts to stand out.
Original post by ed-
Ah I'm not there yet! Hopefully will be in October :biggrin:

Yeah I suppose it would work the same way. Everyone's different in their approach to their PS I think (what they think's relevant etc.) so it's really up to you. Do you have a tutor you could ask?
Personally I think it's definitely worth a mention though

I don't think so. Extra curricular is just what you do it your spare time.

Oh right, so extra-curricular would hobbies and totally unrelated stuff. But what if you are interested in fashion?! That should be fun to write about -_-.

My guidance teacher is sh*t. And that is me being kind as possible. We had a dispute a few weeks back and she is just completely ignoring me now. Not that I spoke to her much.
Oh thank you for the tips!

Yes, I have been told by some of the trainee solicitors that Law is an academic course as opposed to a vocational course. I am very interested in criminal law and want to be a barrister/ advocate, however I am wary that this may count against me if I put it on my PS. Like you said, studying Law does not necessarily mean that one will become a lawyer. Could you clarify what you mean by subject links being "tenuous" please?

Yes I have quite a hectic part time job which I should briefly mention. I work in my parents' restaurant which I could go on to talk about communication and time management skills etc.

I have been trying to keep up with the news articles and everything makes way more sense after working for the Crown! Other than that I think that I may move on to some less generic texts to stand out.

You're welcome :biggrin:

Yeah, you're right. I never veered away talking about being a lawyer because when I got my results I started to reconsider what I'd do after uni haha xD. Um I mean if you're trying to link a subject you study to studying law, don't try so hard to force yourself to make a link between them. If you can't find a link then just leave it. E.g. it's easy to link English to law because of the analytical and essay writing side but linking something like art to law... it can't really be done. Also be specific when you make your links if you haven't already. For psychology I said it has allowed me to consider people's behaviour for example; why do people obey? (Obedience was a subtopic we did in class). I hope I explained that well and that it was helpful
You don't need much for PS honestly. I'd done 3 weeks working in a firm near home and then 2 weeks at Tuckers (crim firm in London). Talk specifically about the things you did during the experience rather than just all the different ones you did, e.g. I said in mine that going to court as well as working as a temp admin assistant allowed me to see two sides of the job - the everyday working bit and the law in practice. I got all of my offers. I used a concept from John Stuart Mill's "On Liberty" in my introduction if you wanted an idea of something to read :smile:
Original post by Pavzky
You're welcome :biggrin:

Yeah, you're right. I never veered away talking about being a lawyer because when I got my results I started to reconsider what I'd do after uni haha xD. Um I mean if you're trying to link a subject you study to studying law, don't try so hard to force yourself to make a link between them. If you can't find a link then just leave it. E.g. it's easy to link English to law because of the analytical and essay writing side but linking something like art to law... it can't really be done. Also be specific when you make your links if you haven't already. For psychology I said it has allowed me to consider people's behaviour for example; why do people obey? (Obedience was a subtopic we did in class). I hope I explained that well and that it was helpful

Art can be linked to law. You learn how to develop and express your idea, which is very important when writing an undergrad essay. If you do psychology you could also mention learning about the inaccuracies of eye witness testimonies, I did that :smile:

[e] Also presumably art involves some abstract thought...there is a lot of this on a law degree, it's very useful to be able to think outside the box. You don't need to link your subjects directly, talk more about the transferable skills acquired from the study of that subject.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by infairverona
Art can be linked to law. You learn how to develop and express your idea, which is very important when writing an undergrad essay. If you do psychology you could also mention learning about the inaccuracies of eye witness testimonies, I did that :smile:

Meh, fair enough xD. I just tried to think of a subject off the top of my head haha and I guess art wasn't the most ideal choice. And yeah now that you've mentioned it, we did the same stuff at AS! I found the topic so dry though so it just slipped my mind.

[e] Also presumably art involves some abstract thought...there is a lot of this on a law degree, it's very useful to be able to think outside the box. You don't need to link your subjects directly, talk more about the transferable skills acquired from the study of that subject.

Thank you so much for that suggestion. I am taking Advanced Higher Art (equiv. to A Level) and I just do not know how to put down on paper the skills that i have gained from writing arts essays and my practical work. Thank you so much again!

Maybe Art is not as useless as I thought :biggrin:.
You don't need much for PS honestly. I'd done 3 weeks working in a firm near home and then 2 weeks at Tuckers (crim firm in London). Talk specifically about the things you did during the experience rather than just all the different ones you did, e.g. I said in mine that going to court as well as working as a temp admin assistant allowed me to see two sides of the job - the everyday working bit and the law in practice. I got all of my offers. I used a concept from John Stuart Mill's "On Liberty" in my introduction if you wanted an idea of something to read :smile:

Yes someone has recommended me to read that, which I will after I have been through all my books. I want to look at more philosophical texts as well to broaden my understanding of law.

Can you recommend anything else?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending