The Student Room Group

GCSE Grades and Medicine

I know different universities have different entry requirements, but in general, how many A*s will I need to do medicine at a good university...?

Some people say 5, while others say 10. I'm really confused.

Right now I'm not being predicted more than 5 A*s (though I think I can get more, as I'm not putting in 100% effort)

If I do a lot of medicine related work experience, (and hopefully get more than 5 A*s haha) will I stand a good chance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in the same problem.

I think it depends on what university you are looking at (as said above). The russell group universities probably want higher GCSE grades.
Original post by ismailjan3
I know different universities have different entry requirements, but in general, how many A*s will I need to do medicine at a good university...?

Right now I'm not being predicted more than 5 A*s (though I think I can get more, as I'm not putting in 100% effort)

If I do a lot of medicine related work experience, (and hopefully get more than 5 A*s haha) will I stand a good chance?

It varies between uni's, but if you have 6 A*/A grades at GCSE you can get inot Oxbridge. It's your A-levels that determine whether you can get inot a particular subject or not.
Reply 3

Some medical schools will place more emphasis on GCSEs than others. If you look at the Medicine wiki on here, that'll tell you which medical schools look for what. For example, Cambridge look at AS-Level UMS but don't really look at GCSE very much, so if you averaged around 90% UMS in your AS subjects, then you'd be in with a chance with a couple of A*s at GCSE. Oxford, however use GCSEs quite heavily; most successful applicants have approximately 90% A*s at GCSE, although people do get in with fewer A*s but with better BMAT score. Like I said, each school differs, so have a look at the wiki :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Larry31
Some medical schools will place more emphasis on GCSEs than others. If you look at the Medicine wiki on here, that'll tell you which medical schools look for what. For example, Cambridge look at AS-Level UMS but don't really look at GCSE very much, so if you averaged around 90% UMS in your AS subjects, then you'd be in with a chance with a couple of A*s at GCSE. Oxford, however use GCSEs quite heavily; most successful applicants have approximately 90% A*s at GCSE, although people do get in with fewer A*s but with better BMAT score. Like I said, each school differs, so have a look at the wiki :smile:

:ditto:

Also, there isn't a "good" university for medicine. Your overall medical education and career have little to do with what med school you went to.

Finally, there are definitely those who've gotten onto medicine with only 2A*'s, and most likely others with even less. It's all about applying intelligently to medical schools whose criteria lie in your favour.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Munrot07
Honestly they really don't care as long as they are all As and A*s, oxbridge students (so the best) have on average 5 A*s at GCSE, that means some have a lot more some have a lot less, some have no A*s and get into oxbridge, it is much more about your personal statement and A level grades (and interview if they want one)

You won't see anyone doing medicine getting into OXFORD with no A*'s, they have a point system and so rely critically on GCSE grades. I know Cambridge care a lot for UMS at A-level though :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Vian

Also, there isn't a "good" university for medicine. Your overall medical education and career have little to do with what med school you went to.

Finally, there are definitely those who've gotten onto medicine with only 2A*'s, and most likely others with even less. It's all about applying intelligently to medical schools whose criteria lie in your favour.

Good luck!

This is a very good point as well! When applying for the foundation programme, the deaneries don't even see which medical school you trained at :smile: If anything you should apply for places that you like and play to your strengths. Just remember that GCSEs are only one part of an application, there are still many more hurdles you have to clear to be in with a chance :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by lolface32
You won't see anyone doing medicine getting into OXFORD with no A*'s, they have a point system and so rely critically on GCSE grades. I know Cambridge care a lot for UMS at A-level though :biggrin:

I heard that is a myth. I went to a talk by oxford and they said people can get in with no A*s, its the A level grades and personal statement they care about :smile:
Reply 8
I heard that is a myth. I went to a talk by oxford and they said people can get in with no A*s, its the A level grades and personal statement they care about :smile:

Well, I suppose it does also matter about the College you are going to. But really for Medicine you should be confident of at least 5A*'s, otherwise I don't see how you are going to handle the stress!
Reply 9
Well, I suppose it does also matter about the College you are going to. But really for Medicine you should be confident of at least 5A*'s, otherwise I don't see how you are going to handle the stress!

True but I think the A levels are the most important :smile: I think GCSEs are never really explained about what their importance is and what universities want, schools make them out to be more important than they are but university websites make them out to be less important than they are (a B in maths and english language is what most ask for, including top ones) It is annoying to know what they want
Reply 10
Ahh ok thanks a lot :smile: I guess all I can do at this very moment is concentrate on getting the best grades I can for my GCSEs and start looking for more work experience. No pressure :')

you dont need anywhere near 10!! i have 3 and got into medicine fine (even had some B's and C's, oh god!) depending on where you apply you might need different standards of gcse grades, some just want you to have them all above C (bar science maths and english normally B at least), but some score people on gcses like leicester for example. if youve got all A/A* then you can basically apply anywhere. to get a better estimate of what you need for each medical school, use this link:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

and this link to show where you should apply if good gcse/bad gcse:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

GCSE grades are not an indication of how someone can handle a degree they are genuinely interested in. i had no interest in RE, French or literature and got C's, but then got A* in science and maths (the ones i liked). my relatively bad GCSEs for medicine (3A*,4A,3B,3C) didnt mean i couldnt handle stress, i still managed to do 5 A levels fine! GCSE show very little about anything.
Reply 12
Original post by Palindromic
you dont need anywhere near 10!! i have 3 and got into medicine fine (even had some B's and C's, oh god!) depending on where you apply you might need different standards of gcse grades, some just want you to have them all above C (bar science maths and english normally B at least), but some score people on gcses like leicester for example. if youve got all A/A* then you can basically apply anywhere. to get a better estimate of what you need for each medical school, use this link:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

GCSE grades are not an indication of how someone can handle a degree they are genuinely interested in. i had no interest in RE, French or literature and got C's, but then got A* in science and maths (the ones i liked). my relatively bad GCSEs for medicine (3A*,4A,3B,3C) didnt mean i couldnt handle stress, i still managed to do 5 A levels fine! GCSE show very little about anything.

Woah, that's actually awesome.
What university did you get into? And how long ago was this?
I have a bit of hope now... :P
Reply 13

Why didn't you come here earlier before making me look like a complete numpty :biggrin:
Reply 14

For medicine, A-Level grades and PS are pretty much irrelevant when selecting for interview. Oxford use a sliding scale of %A* at GCSE and BMAT scores (although you still need a pretty decent BMAT score to get an interview :P). They might play a part after interview though when trying to determine between candidates. :smile:
Woah, that's actually awesome.
What university did you get into? And how long ago was this?
I have a bit of hope now... :P

Manchester, i start in september (im on a gap year, so this is my second time applying) :biggrin: people get in with worse GCSEs in than me!
focus of your AS/A2 and ace the ukcat, if you do that then you've massively increased your chance of getting interviews
Why didn't you come here earlier before making me look like a complete numpty :biggrin:

i like to lurk, see what advice is given before i can come in quell any misinformed people :biggrin: everything anyone needs to know about applying to medicine is on TSR
Reply 17
Original post by Larry31
For medicine, A-Level grades and PS are pretty much irrelevant when selecting for interview. Oxford use a sliding scale of %A* at GCSE and BMAT scores (although you still need a pretty decent BMAT score to get an interview :P). They might play a part after interview though when trying to determine between candidates. :smile:

um, i definitely think A levels are not irrelevant for medicine, they want people who got As and A*s at A level, not GCSE :P The bmat is important, but GCSEs are not more important than A level
um, i definitely think A levels are not irrelevant for medicine, they want people who got As and A*s at A level, not GCSE :P The bmat is important, but GCSEs are not more important than A level

He is sort of right, once youve got the grades (AAA for most) then it doesnt matter if other people have A*AA/A*A*A* as alot dont score people extra for A*s except a few. so Bmat, GCSEs, UKCAT can be more important. But this is only assuming people have aaa at AS and predicted AAA, if not then youre limited as to where you can apply with a good chance.
Reply 19
He is sort of right, once youve got the grades (AAA for most) then it doesnt matter if other people have A*AA/A*A*A* as alot dont score people extra for A*s except a few. so Bmat, GCSEs, UKCAT can be more important. But this is only assuming people have aaa at AS and predicted AAA, if not then youre limited as to where you can apply with a good chance.

Exactly :smile: so A levels are important :P and really A*AA should be a minimum for medicine, all the other stuff are just ways to distinguish candidates :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest