The Student Room Group

Part-time jobs at 16 help!

Hi, I am a 16 year old who is in desperate need of help - I have applied to 30 jobs in the last 4 months, keep getting rejected?? Could someone suggest why companies don't like me and what I can do to stand out?
I have a CV which has qualifications, work experience and my profile - I have had 2 months work experience at a charity shop; and work in a primary school. I answer all the multiple choice application questions correctly - (use studentroom to help me) and I never get an interview! Is it my answers to the longer ones? do I have to write more?? what are tips you could give me?? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liveyourlife197
Hi, I am a 16 year old who is in desperate need of help - I have applied to 30 jobs in the last 4 months, keep getting rejected?? Could someone suggest why companies don't like me and what I can do to stand out?
I have a CV which has qualifications, work experience and my profile - I have had 2 months work experience at a charity shop; and work in a primary school. I answer all the multiple choice application questions correctly - (use studentroom to help me) and I never get an interview! Is it my answers to the longer ones? do I have to write more?? what are tips you could give me?? Thanks

What job are you applying for?
Original post by Flying Pig
What job are you applying for?

Hi! I'm applying for shop assistant jobs like waitrose, or greggs, etc.
I'm sixteen and I work at Pizza Hut. You can apply online.
You can also apply online for River Island (worked there last year for a few months), McDonalds, KFC, Primark and TGI Fridays as well as loads as other places!
I'm 16, and applying to jobs as well! I really want a job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I found that sometimes its how and when you give in your CV that can make a difference to whether you get a job or not. For example, April/May is the best time to apply for jobs.
Also don't hand in your CV to some other sales assistant in the shop, don't post it in and don't just leave it on a desk. Go and give it to the person in charge, literally place it in their hands and show them your face. Sounds stupid, but so many people aged 16 just hand in their CV to anyone, hoping it will get to the manager/boss. 80% of the time it won't. Be well dressed and hand it into the person who is in charge. They will remember it compared to just receiving it from the parent of a child, or just finding it on the desk.
Also after handing it, wait 10-12 days, and call the place, asking to speak to the manager/boss. Ask them whether they have had a chance to see your CV and when you will hear back. This makes it clear to them that you actually want the job, plus its given them a second chance to hear you/see you, therefore they are more likely to remember you.
Good luck!
Original post by s24a
I found that sometimes its how and when you give in your CV that can make a difference to whether you get a job or not. For example, April/May is the best time to apply for jobs.
Also don't hand in your CV to some other sales assistant in the shop, don't post it in and don't just leave it on a desk. Go and give it to the person in charge, literally place it in their hands and show them your face. Sounds stupid, but so many people aged 16 just hand in their CV to anyone, hoping it will get to the manager/boss. 80% of the time it won't. Be well dressed and hand it into the person who is in charge. They will remember it compared to just receiving it from the parent of a child, or just finding it on the desk.
Also after handing it, wait 10-12 days, and call the place, asking to speak to the manager/boss. Ask them whether they have had a chance to see your CV and when you will hear back. This makes it clear to them that you actually want the job, plus its given them a second chance to hear you/see you, therefore they are more likely to remember you.
Good luck!

Thanks!! I will do that:smile: So if they have openings they are likely to pick me for that reason?
Original post by Kateislate
I'm sixteen and I work at Pizza Hut. You can apply online.
You can also apply online for River Island (worked there last year for a few months), McDonalds, KFC, Primark and TGI Fridays as well as loads as other places!

so how did you get the river island job and pizza hut? was it your skills? and CV?
Original post by RemiMarcelle
I'm 16, and applying to jobs as well! I really want a job

Posted from TSR Mobile

stay here then LOL
To be honest, most retailers don't like to employ young people until they are at least 17 years old. They prefer 18 year olds, as if you're under 18, you can't sell alcohol, and this is a big problem for retailers.

I got my first job at 17, and serving alcohol in retail was horrendous as I had to call my supervisor every time somebody wanted to buy alcohol off me.

You could try be a waitress/ pizza hut boy/girl, a lot of my friends did that at 16, some worked in coffee shops too! :P
To be honest, most retailers don't like to employ young people until they are at least 17 years old. They prefer 18 year olds, as if you're under 18, you can't sell alcohol, and this is a big problem for retailers.

I got my first job at 17, and serving alcohol in retail was horrendous as I had to call my supervisor every time somebody wanted to buy alcohol off me.

You could try be a waitress/ pizza hut boy/girl, a lot of my friends did that at 16, some worked in coffee shops too! :P

okay I'll try some coffee shops:biggrin: do they want experience??
okay I'll try some coffee shops:biggrin: do they want experience??

I'm not going to lie... I have no idea. :smile:
I'm applying to Pizza Hut - what do you do if your manager asks you to work weekend and you have plans you don't want to change? do you ask your workers to fill in or say that you will do it?
I'm not going to lie... I have no idea. :smile:

Haha, okay thanks!:smile:
I'm applying to Pizza Hut - what do you do if your manager asks you to work weekend and you have plans you don't want to change? do you ask your workers to fill in or say that you will do it?

Hi, when you are employed you should have a contract.

Your contract will state your working hours, unless you and you employer have agreed otherwise. Contracted hours cannot just be changed by your employer without your permission by law. If a colleague is ill and you are asked to cover, you can accept or decline the invitation.
so how did you get the river island job and pizza hut? was it your skills? and CV?

I had no previous experience before River Island except my work experience which was at a primary school. I applied for a temporary Christmas job, got a group interview and got it! I'm not sure why, I think it's because I tried to come across really confident in the interview, wear appropriate clothes etc.

For Pizza Hut it helped that I had experience with kids as it's a family place, I googled all the multiple choice questions to make sure I got them right etc.
Reply 16
Thanks!! I will do that:smile: So if they have openings they are likely to pick me for that reason?

no obviously they won't pick you just because you handed in your CV face to face with them, there will be other factors that depend on whether you actually get the job or not, but what i talked about is definatley one of the main factors that contribute towards getting yourself notice and therefore getting a job. I also forgot to say earlier, that when you get the chance for an interview, you need to make it absolutely clear that you will do anything (obviously within reason) while doing the job. For example, when i had my interview for a sales assistant, i was asked "we like to keep this shop clean and tidy, in order to do that everyone pitches in to clean the shelves, hoover etc, is that something that you would be happy with?". If this kind of questions comes up, say YES! there are countless 16 year olds who are desperate for a job, and then as soon as they are confronted with a mop and bucket, they get all touchy and "i can't do that!". It doesn't look good and definatley contradicts any statements such as "im a team player" or "im always ready to help" that people put on their CV.
Original post by Kateislate
I had no previous experience before River Island except my work experience which was at a primary school. I applied for a temporary Christmas job, got a group interview and got it! I'm not sure why, I think it's because I tried to come across really confident in the interview, wear appropriate clothes etc.

For Pizza Hut it helped that I had experience with kids as it's a family place, I googled all the multiple choice questions to make sure I got them right etc.

OMG that's exactly like me... primary school! so you got the interview thats great! what do you think made your CV and application stand out? and thats great advice! and where did you get the answers LOL im applying there now! thank you!!
Original post by s24a
no obviously they won't pick you just because you handed in your CV face to face with them, there will be other factors that depend on whether you actually get the job or not, but what i talked about is definatley one of the main factors that contribute towards getting yourself notice and therefore getting a job. I also forgot to say earlier, that when you get the chance for an interview, you need to make it absolutely clear that you will do anything (obviously within reason) while doing the job. For example, when i had my interview for a sales assistant, i was asked "we like to keep this shop clean and tidy, in order to do that everyone pitches in to clean the shelves, hoover etc, is that something that you would be happy with?". If this kind of questions comes up, say YES! there are countless 16 year olds who are desperate for a job, and then as soon as they are confronted with a mop and bucket, they get all touchy and "i can't do that!". It doesn't look good and definatley contradicts any statements such as "im a team player" or "im always ready to help" that people put on their CV.

thats great, I wouldn't mind doing it anyway, thanks!!
Hi, when you are employed you should have a contract.

Your contract will state your working hours, unless you and you employer have agreed otherwise. Contracted hours cannot just be changed by your employer without your permission by law. If a colleague is ill and you are asked to cover, you can accept or decline the invitation.

so.... I should say ask someone to cover?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending