The Student Room Group

Messy handwriting = smart people?

Scroll to see replies

My handwriting is a mess when I am truly trying to solve difficult problems, ie. in an exam. When I'm making notes however, I can concentrate solely on producing neat handwriting, so it's neat during classtime etc. I would consider myself smart so I guess I fit your description but I don't think smartness and neatness of handwriting are directly correlated
There's absolutely no reason that someone with beautiful handwriting can't be intelligent.
Reply 102
Of the people I know, ALL of the clever people have scrawly or curly writing, and ALL of the dimmer people have rounded, bubbly writing. However I doubt there's a serious correlation.
Hmm my handwriting has degenerated during A levels... So I think the more you write with time constraints the messier it gets (lol messy is now a part of my 'normal' writing)

but then again people who type a lot also get messy handwriting from lack of practice (or students coming back from summer holidays xD)

so rather than linking to intelligence (there might be a correlation, but I doubt?) it's what you do with your writing really.
Reply 104
Messy handwriting = impatient
I can do both, messy (writing quickly and later re-writing so that it would look nice, I know sounds dumb but I like keeping everything clear and tidy, so that both me and others would be able to read it) and I can do tidy writing.

DSCF1664.jpg

This is my handwriting :mmm: It's quite wide, for some a half page paragraph takes half page and for me nearly 2 pages :teehee:

Someone said, messy handwriting= impatient, well, I'm not impatient, it's just if I write like I did above in the picture, I'll miss lots of information because I was the slowest writing person in our group at uni, so I do messy not to miss lots of info and not to keep waiting other people for me to finish the sentence..
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by abc:)
Of the people I know, ALL of the clever people have scrawly or curly writing, and ALL of the dimmer people have rounded, bubbly writing.

Interstating and, come to think of it, I agree! Well probably not 'ALL' but there's quite a correlation in my own personal examples.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Can confirm OP's hypothesis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
That would mean I was a genius! :wink:

<3 x
Reply 109
Original post by Enavor
There is no correlation between poor or good handwriting and a persons intelligence level. That's why graphology is considered a pseudo-science.

More people have messier handwriting than neat, so does that mean more intelligent people exist than stupid people? I doubt that highly.

There's also something about left handed people being smarter as well, I think that's crap too.

No it is not. Most things are made for right handers, thus left handers have to adapt on more occasions than right handers meaning their brain has to work off its less favoured side more often which results in better brain performance.
Reply 110
My mate has indecipherable hand-writing and is too smart for his own good... On that basis... Yes!
Original post by Enavor
There is no correlation between poor or good handwriting and a persons intelligence level. That's why graphology is considered a pseudo-science.

More people have messier handwriting than neat, so does that mean more intelligent people exist than stupid people? I doubt that highly.

There's also something about left handed people being smarter as well, I think that's crap too.

Totally true.
Reply 112
Thank you guys. It caught my interest and the fact that there's a variety of answers has to mean something
Reply 113
Original post by SyedaK
Thank you guys. It caught my interest and the fact that there's a variety of answers has to mean something

That something being "We have no idea but will agree or disagree depending on how (un)tidy our own handwriting is"? :tongue:
Reply 114
Original post by Hopple
That something being "We have no idea but will agree or disagree depending on how (un)tidy our own handwriting is"? :tongue:

Hahah indeed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Original post by danny111
No it is not. Most things are made for right handers, thus left handers have to adapt on more occasions than right handers meaning their brain has to work off its less favoured side more often which results in better brain performance.

That's fair enough, but there's no scientific evidence that being able to adapt in order to use a right handed pair of scissors with the left hand makes you more of a genius than the right handed person. All it means is you know how to use a pair of right handed scissors with your left hand, nothing more and nothing less.
Reply 116
Original post by Enavor
That's fair enough, but there's no scientific evidence that being able to adapt in order to use a right handed pair of scissors with the left hand makes you more of a genius than the right handed person. All it means is you know how to use a pair of right handed scissors with your left hand, nothing more and nothing less.

I didn't say that, I said their brain is more practiced doing new, unusual things.

You can train your brain in any number of ways, even juggling is a great way to train the brain. People who used their brain throughout their life are much fitter late in life with it (not talking about dementia that is something different) even if they were no genius. There is a definite "training" effect and that is all I said.
Yeah but being too messy can be dangerous for doctors.
But that is not the point. That has nothing to do with practice. Intelligent said it was as a result of fast thinkingthinking. But any way
I have two types of handwriting that seem to change randomly, one is so fancy I can barely read it myself, the other is readable but extremely messy.

Does this mean I'm a genius half the time? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest