The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EleanorKeats
"Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English speaking countries." I think we could all benefit from remembering this choice phrase before we start talking about the recent Boston bombings. Let the article below be testament to this. How can you say how tragic the Boston bombings were when equal, if not more tragic, events are transpiring even this very day. Hundreds are murdered everyday in Iraq in attacks like these and the West doesn't bat an eyelid, its shocking. Wake up.

Though of course I understand that the explosions in Boston were tragic and that these kind of incidents are unexpected in the US.

I don't think now is the time for politics lessons from Scroobius Pip.
Original post by DK_Tipp
Political point scoring is one thing but I can't help feeling we give far more weight to these things when they occur in English speaking countries then when al-Qaeda rips through Baghdad or the Israelis and Hamas fire missiles at each other regardless of who's children might be in the way...

Otherwise did anyone see those Boston nurses interviewed? Very impressive. Very professional and tough as nails.

Events like these are awful but the professionalism and kindness shown by other people is amazing.
Original post by EleanorKeats
"Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English speaking countries." I think we could all benefit from remembering this choice phrase before we start talking about the recent Boston bombings. Let the article below be testament to this. How can you say how tragic the Boston bombings were when equal, if not more tragic, events are transpiring even this very day. Hundreds are murdered everyday in Iraq in attacks like these and the West doesn't bat an eyelid, its shocking. Wake up.

Though of course I understand that the explosions in Boston were tragic and that these kind of incidents are unexpected in the US.

Because of Islam. the US is not a Muslim country. Granted it has it's own brand of lunatics...
Reply 123
Why would anyone do such a thing? Destruction, loss of life it never fails to disgust me what people can do.

R.I.P. to all that have sadly lost their lives and thoughts to all families involved.
Original post by YMLT
3rd explosion in a library apparently

na that's the second explosion, isn't it?
Reply 125
Ah yeah, appears to be just a fire.

They used a water cannon as well earlier, which some mistook for an explosion.
The BBC are saying it could just be the confirmed bomb of the second location or a controlled explosion.

Goodness me :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 127
Original post by Mister Dead
na that's the second explosion, isn't it?

Reuters were reporting it as a separate 3rd explosion.

Conflicting reports that its an unrelated fire.
Reply 128
HOLY ****, thats two big news story in two consecutive mondays now......

what will happen next monday??
I know everyone's gut reaction was Al Qaeda, but how about someone working for the North Koreans?

We were warned to look out for 15th April and no one would suspect them sneaking a guy in through China or something.
Original post by YMLT
Reuters were reporting it as a separate 3rd explosion.

Conflicting reports that its an unrelated fire.

I hate news reports, I'm not listening to the scanner anymore but a previous poster mentioned it was police confirmed a fire related incident.
Reply 131
Original post by Fenrirs_space
Apparently ball bearings were found, which may give them an idea to the possible groups who did this

Ridiculous comment. Do you think you think cyclists did this? after getting angry that they couldn't fix their hubs?
Reply 132
Original post by Bronco2012
I know everyone's gut reaction was Al Qaeda, but how about someone working for the North Koreans?

We were warned to look out for 15th April and no one would suspect them sneaking a guy in through China or something.

North Koreans can't do jack.

Stop trying to push some kind of agenda.
Original post by Bronco2012

I don't think so; it'd be massively detrimental to them for very little gain.
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Really horrible what's happened but I think John green did a very good tweet about it

"@realjohngreen: In the absence of info, who/what we assume is responsible ends up saying a lot more about us than it does about anyone or anything else."

I like that Maureen Johnson is also making sure people know that they don't have to feel like they have to watch, she's a smart cookie.
Reply 136
Original post by Jacob :)
Please don't let it be Islamic extremists.

And every Muslim hopes the same...
They say that it was a homemade bomb.
Original post by qasidb
North Koreans can't do jack.

Obviously it wasn't a nuke or anything but sending a single bomber in with an unsophisticated device really wouldn't be beyond their capabilities.

Was probably Islamic extremists.
I knew a lot of people running today, and I would have been running myself had I not moved to Italy from Boston a couple months ago. It makes me sick just thinking about it. I lived around the block from the explosions. I walked down Boylston St all the time. This is my home, man.

The Turin half-marathon is this weekend, and I'll be running for everyone who suffered today in Boston.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending