The Student Room Group

Do you have to use the handbrake all the time?

Whenever I stop at traffic lights that have just turned red, I will always use my handbrake, but not if I know they're going to turn green any second. Also do you have to put it in neutral, I normally put the handbrake on, but keep it in gear while sitting there, will I fail for this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you a learner driver? I think you will fail for it, I always got taught to put it in neutral. Plus if you're in gear and someone goes into the back of you you will probably lose foot control and go into the back I the person in front of you. I try to stay in neutral with the handbrake on if I can, unless its not really necessary.

edit: may i ask why has this been negged?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
The only times I put it in neutral is if I see the lights go red or if my feet need a rest.
I always use the handbrake though.
Reply 3
I only use the handbrake if it has been red for a while, otherwise just keep my foot on the brake and clutch and get ready to go.
Reply 4
Original post by lucyab
Are you a learner driver? I think you will fail for it, I always got taught to put it in neutral. Plus if you're in gear and someone goes into the back of you you will probably lose foot control and go into the back I the person in front of you. I try to stay in neutral with the handbrake on if I can, unless its not really necessary.

Ah yeah that's true :/ I panic i'm not gonna set off fast enough if I put it into neutral though lol
Reply 5
Original post by eelnais
I only use the handbrake if it has been red for a while, otherwise just keep my foot on the brake and clutch and get ready to go.

Are you learning to drive/done your test, you wasn't marked down for just using the foot brake then?
Reply 6
Original post by Melissa.S.
Ah yeah that's true :/ I panic i'm not gonna set off fast enough if I put it into neutral though lol

The worst thing you can do when learning to drive is worry about other road users' time. It's not a race to see who can do things fastest, doing things comfortably is what makes you a better and safer driver.
Reply 7
Are you learning to drive/done your test, you wasn't marked down for just using the foot brake then?

Learning to drive, not told off for doing this. Usually the lights are only red for a minute, but any longer than that and I am prompted to put my handbrake on.
Reply 8
Original post by .JJ
The worst thing you can do when learning to drive is worry about other road users' time. It's not a race to see who can do things fastest, doing things comfortably is what makes you a better and safer driver.

Yeah, just sucks when people beep at you haha
Reply 9
When I passed I was once the first person at a red light, it turned green, I stalled 7 times in a row because I was panicking to set of fast enough, then the lights turned red ha. Further down the road it split into two lanes, I got a lot of dirty looks haha. Don't rush to set off that's where things go wrong!
Reply 10
Yeah, just sucks when people beep at you haha

I know the feeling, just try and laugh it off and go even slower. Once you stop caring about slowing other people down, you'll find yourself becoming a much more comfortable driver; at least I did.
Reply 11
Original post by lucyab
When I passed I was once the first person at a red light, it turned green, I stalled 7 times in a row because I was panicking to set of fast enough, then the lights turned red ha. Further down the road it split into two lanes, I got a lot of dirty looks haha. Don't rush to set off that's where things go wrong!

Oh god, haha. You still passed though?
I once stalled in the middle of a roundabout, was sat there for ages trying to start again, funny how simply turning the key turns into such a mission when you're under pressure! lol

I just passed my test last week. If you're a learner and yet to take your test, keep into the habit of putting the handbrake on whenever a stop turns to a wait. You'll get marked down for not doing so, I think the main reason being that if you're holding the brake pedal and you get rear-ended, your foot is gonna come off of the pedal and the car while fly forward and cause a pile-up.
After you've passed your test, it's still the safer option to use the handbrake but you can move off quicker using the foot brake, a lot of people choose convenience over safety I suppose.Whether you put it into neutral or keep the clutch down and in 1st is entirely up to your own preference, in my test last week we sat in traffic for over a minute with the car in 1st/clutch down. Only got 1 minor fault on the test and it wasn't for that :smile: The only reason to put it into neutral is if you tend to get a leg ache from keeping the pedal down. If you've got strong legs like me though it's never a problem so it saves time and effort to keep it in 1st.

Also about gears... whether you put it into neutral or keep the clutch down and in 1st is entirely up to your own preference, in my test last week we sat in traffic for over a minute with the car in 1st/clutch down. Only got 1 minor fault on the test and it wasn't for that The only reason to put it into neutral is if you tend to get a leg ache from keeping the pedal down. If you've got strong legs like me though it's never a problem so it saves time and effort to keep it in 1st. Even if you do get rear-ended and your foot comes off the clutch, the car will just judder and stall anyway, so it's not as if it's going to fly off because it's in gear.
(edited 11 years ago)
Usually I just keep my foot on the clutch and use clutch control (meaning I'm in gear); I'll sometimes go in to neutral if I want a foot break :dontknow:
Reply 14
Oh god, haha. You still passed though?
I once stalled in the middle of a roundabout, was sat there for ages trying to start again, funny how simply turning the key turns into such a mission when you're under pressure! lol

It was the week after I passed :smile: I heard that if that happened on a test you'd fail, not too sure though. Yeah it seems like you have to rush! It all comes naturally with experience though :smile:
Original post by thegodofgod
Usually I just keep my foot on the clutch and use clutch control (meaning I'm in gear); I'll sometimes go in to neutral if I want a foot break :dontknow:

That's exactly what I've been taught.Wonder if that will be a problem for test.
Original post by xev bellringer
That's exactly what I've been taught.Wonder if that will be a problem for test.

For my test, I was told that you should use your handbrake if you intend to stop for more than 3 seconds. :dontknow:
Reply 17
I only put handbrake on if I'm on a hill or slope or if I'm at traffic lights more than 3-5 secs. If I think I'm going to move off in a few seconds though I don't bother with the handbrake. On time I take it out of neutral is if there's a que of traffic or if I can tell I'm going to be at the lights for a long time
The handbrake, like most other things in the car, is a tool for you to use as and when it makes sense to. You do not have to use it at any time (except parking) and I've never had a pupil failed for not doing so. However, if you are in a situation where the handbrake would help and you make a serious mistake which would have been eliminated by using it, you are going to fail e.g., being on a hill and rolling back because you choose to keep your foot on the footbrake and trying to catch it on the clutch!

As for using it at traffic lights, it depends on how long the wait is. "When a pause becomes a wait, the handbrake becomes your mate" is an oft quoted phrase. So if it has just turned red, use the handbrake and give your right foot a rest. As for whether you keep it in gear or put it in neutral, personal preference. I put it in neutral because my car has an eco setting which cuts the engine and I like to save fuel. The issue of being rear-ended is something you have to watch out for and you can do so by looking in your mirrors. If the person behind is approaching looking at their lap, they are using their phone and are likely to hit you so keep your foot on the brake as well as the handbrake and in neutral :tongue:

As a driver, you need to understand what is available to you and use it accordingly. Know every tool in the toolbox!
Whenever I stop at traffic lights that have just turned red, I will always use my handbrake, but not if I know they're going to turn green any second. Also do you have to put it in neutral, I normally put the handbrake on, but keep it in gear while sitting there, will I fail for this?

I was taught that for the test the rule of thumb is that if you think you'll be stationary for more than 3 seconds, then put the handbrake on.

In reality you'll never do that, but that's what the examiner will be hoping to see. At traffic lights look for clues like how long it was since a car came the other way (if a stream of cars pass you in a tight bunch then you can expect the lights to change as you draw near to the lights).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending