The Student Room Group

do you have to join a drinking society to "get in" with the cool kids?

I know it sounds cheesy, but I've never drunk before, and I'd like to join a drinking society, just because it seems that anyone who's anyone in Cambridge is in a drinking society- as well as all the fit ladies.

Is this true (for instance, many of today's MP's were in drinking societies- would joining one help, for future contacts?)

:tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Join one if you want to, but I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is going to be 'No'.
Original post by Koalagate
Join one if you want to, but I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is going to be 'No'.

Really? Are not more likely to get in with the "rahs" and the connected poeple?
Reply 3
The Union is where all the brown-nosers go. Sounds right up your street.
Im talking about drinking Societies, not debating societies...
Reply 5
Original post by Narutopolaris
Im talking about drinking Societies, not debating societies...

If you're looking to meet future MPs then you should definitely be heading for the Union hacks...
Reply 6
Original post by Narutopolaris
I know it sounds cheesy, but I've never drunk before, and I'd like to join a drinking society, just because it seems that anyone who's anyone in Cambridge is in a drinking society- as well as all the fit ladies.

Is this true (for instance, many of today's MP's were in drinking societies- would joining one help, for future contacts?)

:tongue:

Many MP's nowadays weren't in drinking societies, they were members of places like the Pitt Club or the Bullingdon Club - with initiation ceremonies where you have to burn £1000 in cash to enter, for example.

The vast majority of students (99%) do not generally do this sort of thing.
Reply 7
In Cambridge at least you don't choose to join them. If you're a sociable fresher and get to know the older years (ie don't sit in your room and work all day/night) then chances are you'll get invited.

People who make it very obvious they want to join and actively suck up with that intention are very easy to spot, and doesn't help your cause. In my college, it's less of a soceity and more of a group of friends who all like to get drunk together and have fun.
Reply 8
Original post by wibletg
Many MP's nowadays weren't in drinking societies, they were members of places like the Pitt Club or the Bullingdon Club - with initiation ceremonies where you have to burn £1000 in cash to enter, for example.

The vast majority of students (99%) do not generally do this sort of thing.

I can't talk for the Bullingdon club, but that is absolutely not true for the Pitt club.
In my experience a good 3/4 of people dislike the drinking societies - even people that are otherwise alright can turn into dicks when they're involved in the kind of stuff that drinking societies get up to. There are plenty of people that are popular enough without having to get involved with them, so it's only really worth it if you actually enjoy the sort of stuff they do or are prepared to alienate everyone else to 'get in' with this certain percentage.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
In my experience a good 3/4 of people dislike the drinking societies - even people that are otherwise alright can turn into dicks when they're involved in the kind of stuff that drinking societies get up to. There are plenty of people that are popular enough without having to get involved with them, so it's only really worth it if you actually enjoy the sort of stuff they do or are prepared to alienate everyone else to 'get in' with this certain percentage.

At the risk of sounding like a dick (oh the irony), I've never met anyone sociable who assumed I was a dick because I'm in my college's drinking soceity. That said, we're not as rowdy as say, the wyverns/green monsters, and as such, don't have that reputation.
Reply 12
Its not about being cool? Drinking is something you do when you just wanna forget about your worries and just have fun. Its not to look cool .
Original post by illusionz
At the risk of sounding like a dick (oh the irony), I've never met anyone sociable who assumed I was a dick because I'm in my college's drinking soceity. That said, we're not as rowdy as say, the wyverns/green monsters, and as such, don't have that reputation.

Yeah, I wasn't seeking to make any generalisations about people, just putting across the impression I got in my college (Pembroke), it often feels like the society are tolerated more than welcomed. I freely accept that it's not at all the same for drinking societies, and that I don't know much about drinking societies from other colleges (besides the ones you mention who are barely ever out of the headlines!) And like I say, the guys that come across as dicks when they're with the drinking soc can be perfectly nice the rest of the time.
Yeah, I wasn't seeking to make any generalisations about people, just putting across the impression I got in my college (Pembroke), it often feels like the society are tolerated more than welcomed. I freely accept that it's not at all the same for drinking societies, and that I don't know much about drinking societies from other colleges (besides the ones you mention who are barely ever out of the headlines!) And like I say, the guys that come across as dicks when they're with the drinking soc can be perfectly nice the rest of the time.

There has been a fair bit of damage to Pembroke over the last few years which always gets blamed on the Idlers, even when it's not them, but I think this has done little to help their image among people who aren't involved with them. If I'm honest there was a hockey club social a few years back I was involved with which did a fair bit of damage to your jcr... idlers get blamed for it. I knew their president from about 3 years ago pretty well, but don't actually know any pembroke guys any more.
Reply 15
people that are otherwise alright can turn into dicks when they're involved in the kind of stuff that drinking societies get up to.

:yes:

Drinking societies are just really weird. They barely exist outside of Oxford and Cambridge, and why would they? Its just a group of people who drink some alcohol and act like dicks - you can do that without needing to refer to yourselves as 'the Myrmidons' or whatever quaint little name you've come up for your 'gang'. There's some interesting psychology in people who need to formalise their friends so - i find it very cute myself. My internal dialogue is 'Aww loud guy with a big belly has found some friends and wants everyone to know about it by dressing up in uniform and shouting more than usual - how sweet'.

Just make normal friends people - jeez.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by nexttime

Drinking societies are just really weird. They don't exist outside of Oxford and Cambridge, and why would they? Its just a group of people who drink some alcohol and act like dicks - you can do that without needing to refer to yourselves as 'the Myrmidons' or whatever quaint little name you've come up for your 'gang'. There's some interesting psychology in people who need to formalise their friends so - i find it very cute myself. My internal dialogue is 'Aww loud guy with a big belly has found some friends and wants everyone to know about it by dressing up in uniform and shouting more than usual - how sweet'.

Not true.

I know people in drinking societies at Newcastle and Loughborough.
Reply 17
Original post by nexttime

Drinking societies are just really weird. They don't exist outside of Oxford and Cambridge, and why would they? Its just a group of people who drink some alcohol and act like dicks - you can do that without needing to refer to yourselves as 'the Myrmidons' or whatever quaint little name you've come up for your 'gang'. There's some interesting psychology in people who need to formalise their friends so - i find it very cute myself. My internal dialogue is 'Aww loud guy with a big belly has found some friends and wants everyone to know about it by dressing up in uniform and shouting more than usual - how sweet'.

But...what about all the bantah?
We set a fresher drinking society up, which didn't really have a name or anything official - just a few guys who wanted to set up some swaps to get to know more people (yes, primarily girls) from other colleges.

The main college drinking society seems like fun but also can get a bit weird-seeming sometimes. I think they're all like this in that the people can be a bit unsettling - but it's mainly the atmosphere of a bunch of drunk guys together rather than the people - I know most of the guys in our college's and 90+% are great guys.

But no, OP, the kind of drinking societies you're talking about aren't really the way to become powerful nowadays. Apart from the still-present bias towards people with money, to get to positions of power now you're going to have to do things pretty officially. Get some debating experience, shadow an MP etc.
Original post by Intriguing Alias
We set a fresher drinking society up, which didn't really have a name or anything official - just a few guys who wanted to set up some swaps to get to know more people (yes, primarily girls) from other colleges.

The main college drinking society seems like fun but also can get a bit weird-seeming sometimes. I think they're all like this in that the people can be a bit unsettling - but it's mainly the atmosphere of a bunch of drunk guys together rather than the people - I know most of the guys in our college's and 90+% are great guys.

But no, OP, the kind of drinking societies you're talking about aren't really the way to become powerful nowadays. Apart from the still-present bias towards people with money, to get to positions of power now you're going to have to do things pretty officially. Get some debating experience, shadow an MP etc.

best answer so far- I guess I was being naive...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending