The Student Room Group

AQA Geography GCSE 4/6/13 and 12/6/13

Hello, I couldn't find anything on this exam.. I'm doing Restless Earth, Water On The Land and The Coast in the physical paper and Tourism, Population and Changing Urban Environments in the Human... What are you guy's doing? How are you revising? How do you feel about the exam?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, I'm doing exactly the same topics as you :tongue: . I haven't started revision yet, and probably won't do for some time as they're some of my last exams and I'm prioritising other subjects such as science. I'll probably start revision in May, during half term (which seems a bit too late but there you go :tongue:). I think the main thing I need to work on is memorising statistics for case studies, so I'll start by making some index cards.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I find that geography is an easy subject for me to learn but i thought i better do some revision!! what are you predicted and what did you get in any mocks?
I just managed to scrape an A* in both papers (admittedly that was with no revision :colondollar: . I put the 'pro' into 'procrastinate' :colondollar: ), so I'm hoping that if I do a few past papers and focus on case studies I should be okay :redface: .

What about you, how were your mocks? :smile: Have you been given a grade for your coursework yet?
Reply 4
I got 95% in the two papers combined - human was my better paper but i got a* in both... we haven't 'officially' got our coursework back but my teacher told me that i got an a which i was really happy with! What did you do for your coursework?
Wow, that's incredible! :biggrin: I can't remember what my percentage was but it was nowhere near as good as that! :tongue:

My coursework was on CBDs (building height, land use etc). Boring as hell but there you go. I got an A* by one mark, so Sod's law says that it will probably go down in moderation :rolleyes: . I'd still be more than happy with a strong A though :yep: .
Reply 6
thank you :smile: ahh, cool :biggrin: well done!!! Ours was on tourism and honey pot sites...have you finished your course yet or are you still doing a topic? We're doing the changing urban environments now and then we're done :smile: what other subjects did you take?
Original post by CloUpsidedown
thank you :smile: ahh, cool :biggrin: well done!!! Ours was on tourism and honey pot sites...have you finished your course yet or are you still doing a topic? We're doing the changing urban environments now and then we're done :smile: what other subjects did you take?

We're working on the Restless Earth right now, after that we'll be done. Urabn Environments was the first topic I ever did, back in the good ol' days of year 10 :tongue: . Seems like so long ago now!

There's a list of the subjects I take in my signature. :h:
Reply 8
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

There's a list of the subjects I take in my signature. :h:

signature? I'm new to this sorry.... :/ ahh, we did restless earth first ... what case studies have you done?
Fold Mountains - Alps
MEDC Earthquake - Christchurch
LEDC Earthquake - Haiti
MEDC Flooding - Boscastle
LEDC Flooding - Bangladesh
Volcano - Soufriere Hills
Sea Level Rise - East Anglia
Tsunami - Asian Tsunami
Dam/ Resevoir - Lake Vrnwy / 3 gorges dam
Cliff Collapse - Barton - On - Sea
Coastal Habitat - Keyhavan Salt Marsh
Extreme Tourism - Antarctica
Sustainable Tourism - Santa Lucia, Equador
Uk National Park - Brecon Beacons
Tropical Area for Tourism - Kenya

i think that's all of them :P
The line of text below my posts? If it's not showing up then you might have to go to your settings to make sure that they're not automatically folded.

By and large we've done the same case studies :yep: The only differences I can see are MEDC flooding (Tewkesbury), Volcano (Mt. St. Helens), Sustainable Tourism (Galapagos Islands) and Tropical Tourism (Jamaica).
Hey,

I'm doing similar topics: Restless Earth, Ice on the Land, Water on the Land, Tourism, Development, Population.

Does anyone have any tips on how to learn case studies? There are so many and I just get all the facts and figures muddled :confused:

Also, does it matter if I have case studies that overlap - e.g I have Jamaica for a tropical tourist destination and ecotourism??

Original post by smartiesfive-0
Hey,

I'm doing similar topics: Restless Earth, Ice on the Land, Water on the Land, Tourism, Development, Population.

Does anyone have any tips on how to learn case studies? There are so many and I just get all the facts and figures muddled :confused:

Also, does it matter if I have case studies that overlap - e.g I have Jamaica for a tropical tourist destination and ecotourism??

Hey there :hi:

Case studies are a pain, aren't they. :tongue: I haven't really started proper revision yet, but I'm planning on just writing the bare-bones facts and figures onto index cards and going over them once per day.

I'm not sure about case studies overlapping, but if that is what your teacher taught you then it is most likely fine. :smile:
Reply 12
What do we think will come up?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by BLTontour
What do we think will come up?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I have no idea to be honest! Have any of your teachers suggested what they think may come up?

Last year they had a map question where you had to identify the type of map and write about what it showed...

thinking about it, I think there may be some landform questions about how they form ect.

Hows the revision going?
Reply 14
Original post by CloUpsidedown
I have no idea to be honest! Have any of your teachers suggested what they think may come up?

Last year they had a map question where you had to identify the type of map and write about what it showed...

thinking about it, I think there may be some landform questions about how they form ect.

Hows the revision going?

I've heard nothing:/ urm, not great. Haven't done as much as I'd have liked, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've still done nothing at all. :colondollar: Planning to start on Wednesday.
Reply 16
I'm doing notes atm , pretty boring , Going to make mind maps for Case studies and learn them
Reply 17
Any particular question styles that appear every year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
just wondering how accurate the specification is, sometimes it specifically (haha) mentions needing a case study, but sometimes it seems that questions in past papers pop up that need a case study that wasn't asked for by the specification.

For example in the changing urban requirements there is only what two case studies mentioned? What are people's findings with the case study questions in the past?
Reply 19
I honestly have no idea of what/how to revise for Geography

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending