The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded.

Scroll to see replies

There are reports that a 20-year-old Saudi, who was seen on CCTV taking multiple backpacks to the blast site, is being held by Boston Police.
Original post by Savvy Sage
Very astute. Religion is responsible for killing millions, nay - billions. What are we waiting for? Let's hunt this 'religion' and bring it to justice. Rumour has it it's lurking in the "abstract noun" section in the dictionary.

Thats a bit of trivial response I notice you didnt address my point. Im not saying 'hunt down religion' that would be absurd but the point is, there isnt a right or wrong interpretation of a holy book. Killing does not contradict 'religion' its inherent in its history.
Reply 362
As an american, i ****ing hate this country... and i bet it wasn't even a well known terrorist organization, prolly just a domestic group. **** america.
Original post by StormXibalba
People have done things in the name of religion for hundreds of years. If someone happens to define themself a muslim and kills in the name of islam they dont suddenly stop being a muslim because you dont like what they did. If you have ever drunk alcohol you are not a muslim by your own logic because thats a non-adherence to islam. If someone practices that religion then they practice it.

1. They may claim to practice it, but if the act they practice contradicts the OBJECTIVE, ABSOLUTE ruling of the Quran, then they will not be adhering to Islam (you need to practice Islam to be a Muslim- no ifs, no buts, no subjectivism- and its not "becuase what you dont like" its what goes against the teachins, which are abosute, objective and unchallengable- its not my word- its God's word being flouted.
Original post by Narutopolaris
X

What are you blathering on about? If Muslim terrorists conduct an attack, they are doing it on their interpretation of what Islam allows.

You don't get to say that they're non-Muslim. Particularly as perhaps the majority of Muslims would disagree with you.
Original post by Zabaar
Anyone see this (it was quickly deleted)? What are your opinions? https://twitter.com/azadaliCCM/status/323921371556106240

"Hypothesis proven: Libs responding to "kill them all" sarcasm neglect fact that their precious Islamists say the same about us EVERY DAY."

Weak attempt at backtracking followed by aggression against people who criticise him.
Original post by Luxray
I'm disheartened about what's happened, but I also care about the indirect problems it creates elsewhere. There's no need to swear.

As I said beofre in my quote, we stand with the people of Boston in this hour of tragedy and despair- we condemn the actions of terrorists and we are also preventing ignorance and malice in a time of extreme emotion- this benfits everyone.

Please dont swear, it's rather uncouth and rude- the moderators wll deal with this.
Various officials have denied that someone is under arrest, which is true.

But they have detained a Saudi in hospital for questioning.
As horrifying and awful as this is, such attacks happen quite regularly in many war-ridden, developing countries. The media make it out as though the life of an American is worth more than an Iranian, Afghanistan or Syrian.

Muslims are constantly being umbrellaed as terrorists or the 'bad guys', it's such such an ill-informed statement; America is very much a terroristic country, America is a 'wolf in sheep's clothing'. It's a shame innocent citizens are punished for the corruptive dealings on their government.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 369
Original post by Narutopolaris
Yes, there are many varieites, but they all adhere to the underlying principle that this act is wrong- they may differ on small matters, the underlying prinicple remains.

For example. On the idea of murder, you could have one group who believs that that the punishment is death. Another that the punishment sho,u,d be life. Aother who believes that the punishment is 15 years. They disagree on the timing of punishment, but all agree that the murder is wrong (hence why they want punsihment).

Similarly, in the various sects if Islam, they may all disgree on small matters (e.g. Whetehr to have a beard or not)' but they will all agree with the underlying, objective divine command- refusing to do so, is Un-Islamic (you cannot refute the word of God) and therefore, they wont be Muslim- they wouldnt be one of the "various sects"

Islam doesn't see the act of taking a life in a situation of war as murder. Nor, for that matter, does society. The people who commit these acts see themselves as being engaged in a state of war; attacks on the enemy to defend one's home are permitted. When you denounce these terrorists' actions, what you're doing is projecting our Western societal values onto them -- subjectively speaking, however, their actions do not conflict with their faith. Your usage of the 'No True Scotsman' argument indicates successful mainstream integration on your part, which is good -- but the measure of what a 'true Muslim' is cannot just be their similarity to you, because your context is very different from theirs.
Reply 370
There was a man on top of a building near the blast. https://twitter.com/Boston_to_a_T/status/323871088532668416/photo/1/large
Original post by G8D
It's not your place to say whether someone is or is not what they claim to be, that is a cop out.

If someone does something in the name of, say, Islam and they think it's justified by the religion/texts then that's their interpretation. They are Muslims, like it or not.

Not really, this is a misconception by someone who hasn't really studied Islamic theology or how textual interpretation works.

Sure these "terrorists" may be Muslim [that factors on whether the beliefs they hold takes them outside of the folds of Islam or not], but it doesn't mean their interpretation of Islam is right - and we can say this from an objective sense.

Things such as ijma, which means consensus; means that the same sources, the same texts, the same language - have been understood by scholars [who's profession was the study of religion] who have come from various different cultures and generations over a period of 1400 years, with very similar conclusions.

Someone who has a contradictory understanding compared to an ijma on a certain ruling, would certainly feel at odds to accuse all these people, who have far proven their knowledge of the texts - as completely wrong. Or, in the extra extreme case, "some mass conspiracy" where they must've sent notes down the years to each other to dictate that this is how we should interpret the text "to fool the masses". Not to mention in Islam, something on which there is an ijma isn't considered open for re-interpretation.

This is a safeguard for the religion against subjective understanding of texts.

And if you've read some of the works by those who condone the killing of civilians, then from a theological justification, they haven no issues with the text [which anyone can interpret and twist to mean whatever they want], their main issue is the concept of ijma [something you can't try to change], which very tellingly troubles them.

In this respect, Islam is fairly unique amongst the religions [maybe there's other, haven't studied them all] - as we give weight to historical and consistent interpretations, rather than lone or modern ones.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 372
Whilst this is a very regretful and awful situation, it makes me sad that the media doesn't cover the atrocities in Syria in anywhere near as enough detail as this. Literally thousands of innocent people are dying, whilst most people in the western world don't even know what's occurring over there.
Reply 373
Original post by darryshan
There was a man on top of a building near the blast. https://twitter.com/Boston_to_a_T/status/323871088532668416/photo/1/large

Someone on a rooftop... during a Marathon?

Sounds suspect. :rolleyes:
Original post by mr96
Seriously just want go and live on mars!
There's too little love in this world to make up for all this hate!! :frown:

Patton Oswalt and George Takei have put it well:

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."
But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.
But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.
But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.
So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

When tragedies strike, heroes rise to meet the challenge: the first responders seen sprinting toward the blast site, the runners who changed course to run to local hospitals to donate blood, and the fine citizens of Boston who at once opened their homes to marathoners in need of a place to stay. When we come together, we cannot be brought down.
Muslims? Really Muslims? You are just unbelievably ignorant for writing that. I'm just going to assume that you mean Islamic extremists. Saying Muslims is a massive sweeping statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Watch the terror apologists desperately try to cover up the fact that a Saudi is being questioned.

And then watch them say that this person isn't a "real Muslim". It's this kind of sophistic nonsense (along with posts above posting pictures of dead Afghani children, and comments expressing regret for Muslim deaths) that makes people conclude that most Muslims are not serious about condemning terrorism.

That deep down, they sympathise.
Original post by StormXibalba
Thats a bit of trivial response I notice you didnt address my point. Im not saying 'hunt down religion' that would be absurd but the point is, there isnt a right or wrong interpretation of a holy book. Killing does not contradict 'religion' its inherent in its history.

My point is simple. Religion doesn't kill humans. Humans kill humans. Humans have the capacity to commit evil. Regardless of whether religion existed or not, humans would still be killing other humans. Therefore, religion is not responsible for all committed crimes. This begs the question, to what extent is religion responsible for any crime? Religion is clearly not the common denominator. The banality of evil is however the under lying factor. In effect, I am seeking to repudiate your generalization that religion is capable of committing murder because it isn't, it is merely a school of thought which like any other body of thought can be used to justify murder.
Original post by AlexandrTheGreat
What are you blathering on about? If Muslim terrorists conduct an attack, they are doing it on their interpretation of what Islam allows.

You don't get to say that they're non-Muslim. Particularly as perhaps the majority of Muslims would disagree with you.

Fine, I cant say that they are Non Muslim. But what I can tell you is that they have broken the OBJECTIVE ABSOLUTE laws of Islam regarding warfare. We can infer, that since a Muslim adheres to these ABSOLUTE, OBJECTIVE laws, and they haven't, its more likely than not, to be a Non-Muslim

And where is your evidence for the claim that the Majority of Muslim would disagree with me; Muslims are condeming the acts- see the Huffington post "Please dont be a 'Muslim'".
Reply 379
8 year old confirmed dead.

Heartbreaking. R.I.P.

[video="youtube;-8qhvn2k3c4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-8qhvn2k3c4[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending