The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can someone please explain to me how you know if a reaction is described as electrophilic or nucleophilic. Also what is the difference between an electrophile and a nucleophile ? Thank you so much in advance .:colondollar:
Reply 21
I've got a list of reagents and conditions we need to learn, I can attach them if anyone's wants them :smile:
Original post by super121
i've got a list of reagents and conditions we need to learn, i can attach them if anyone's wants them :smile:

yes pleaseee! :d
Original post by madrevision
Can someone please explain to me how you know if a reaction is described as electrophilic or nucleophilic. Also what is the difference between an electrophile and a nucleophile ? Thank you so much in advance .:colondollar:

I can never tell the difference between if its electrophilic substitution or electrophilic addition or nucleophilic addition or substitution, I've kind of just committed to memory which families do what. Electrophiles carry a positive charge and hence are attracted to electron-rich regions since they carry a negative charge. Whereas a nucleophile carries an overall negative charge or a slight negative charge and hence are attracted to species with positive charges.
(edited 11 years ago)
thank you,that cleared things up :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by nukethemaly
yes pleaseee! :d

Here you go :smile:
Reply 26
thank you,that cleared things up :smile:

Also addition is when nothing is removed and something is added (i.e. breaking the double-bond and attaching itself), whilst subsitution is when something is removed and the other thing taking it's place (e.g. Bromine displacing Iodine from solution). Does that make sense?

Thank you!

This is REAAAALLLY amazing!
(edited 11 years ago)
Dude when I get my A i'm gonna send you flowers and chocolate lol :biggrin: but seriously thank you, much appreciation
Yes finally simple explanation yay :banana: thank you for helping out :smile:
Original post by blondie24
So i'm currently revising atmosphere and i was doing the assignments in the storylines and am totally stuck on Assignment 11! can somebody help me please! i'll post the question as well :smile:

'In 2001, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was 370ppm(by volume). The total mass of CO2 in the...

Now answer the following questions
QUOTE]
Do you still need help ?
Guys i'm thinking about making a folder with common question that come up regularly and model answers for them. Would anyone else want to use it- I just want to know if it's worth doing :smile:
Original post by King Hotpie
I need to smash this exam to make up for my coursework... Does anyone else feel that Salters Coursework must have spawned from the very depths of hell?

Its literally the easiest part of the course, just wait until the A2 coursework. It's what gives Salters it's reputation for being by far the hardest exam board, it's SERIOUSLY ****ing hard.
Reply 33
Dude when I get my A i'm gonna send you flowers and chocolate lol :biggrin: but seriously thank you, much appreciation

Welcome :smile:
Let's hope you get an A then :P this is the biggest unit so it's really worth doing well in it, as A2 is absolute hell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
[QUOTE="madrevision;42235731"]
So i'm currently revising atmosphere and i was doing the assignments in the storylines and am totally stuck on Assignment 11! can somebody help me please! i'll post the question as well :smile:

'In 2001, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was 370ppm(by volume). The total mass of CO2 in the...

Now answer the following questions
QUOTE]
Do you still need help ?

Yes please :colondollar:
Hi Everyone

I've got the AS coursework coming up this week, and I was wondering if anybody has any tips for me? Can't afford to fail this part of the course as the rest is already screwed as it is :l

'In 2001, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was 370ppm(by volume). The total mass of CO2 in the atmosphere was estimated to be about 2760Gt at that tim (1 Gt= 1 gigatonne = 1 x 10^9 tonnes.)
Through the 4 years from 2001 to the end of 2004, it is estimated that 34Gt of fossil fuels were burned throughout the world.
In 2004 the measured % of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was found to be 377ppm (by volume).

Now answer the following questions:
a Assume that the 34Gt of fossil fuels burned in the four years were all C. Calculate the mass of CO2 formed by burning this mass of fuel.
b Calculate the new total mass of CO2 in the atmosphere at the end of 2004, assuming that the extra CO2 came only from burning fossil fuels and that it stayed in the atmosphere.
c By what % would you expect the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere to have increased in the 4 years?
d By what % did the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere actually increase in the 4 years?

I wasn't too sure either but I got some genius to help me lol. Here you go a) CO2 has RFM 12+16+16 = 44. Percentage by mass of carbon in CO2 is 12/44 = 3/11. There are 34Gt extra carbon, which is 3/11 of total mass of CO2. 34=3/11 m >> (34x11)/3 = m = 125Gt
b) 2760+125 = 2885Gt
c) 125/2760 x100% = 4.53%
d) 7/370 x100% = 1.89%
Guys i'm thinking about making a folder with common question that come up regularly and model answers for them. Would anyone else want to use it- I just want to know if it's worth doing :smile:

Yep! That's a brilliant idea actually.
The AS coursework itself isn't that bad, it's the ridiculously high grade boundaries that are the problem. :frown:
Original post by King Hotpie
The AS coursework itself isn't that bad, it's the ridiculously high grade boundaries that are the problem. :frown:

Wait til you get to the A2 coursework. You will hate yourself for picking chemistry.

Latest

Trending

Trending