The Student Room Group

I dont know what to take I NEED HELP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosaknows
That comes up in GCSEs too..

Spoiler

No point looking at what grades you got and deciding that way. Think about what you want to do after your A levels
Reply 42
Original post by upthegunners

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Rosaknows

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 44

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by unique_freak
If i was a super freak genius I would take them most definitely, unfortunately im not, so im scared i will struggle too much.

But you got As in all those subjects! You don't need to be a super genius to get good grades. The secret to getting good grades is determination, hard work and CONFIDENCE :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by ThatPerson
GCSEs aren't that great an indicator of ability in A-Level(Although getting A's does show that you have some ability).

However I agree that its really about how much work you put in, and you can still get top grades even if you aren't "gifted" at Maths.

To answer the question though, I think you need to weight up the pros and cons of each A-Level and decide on that, and what you want to do after A-levels.

I will do that, thanks!
Reply 47
Original post by SkinnyKat
But you got As in all those subjects! You don't need to be a super genius to get good grades. The secret to getting good grades is determination, hard work and CONFIDENCE :tongue:

hmm maybe, hopefully it is
Reply 48
Original post by victoriajackson
I only got a B at GCSE and I got a B at AS level so I think you should be fine. It is a lot of work though but then again so are most A-levels :smile: I do chemistry, biology and physics as well and I love them and as long as you're willing to put the work in you should do quite well.

Oh and if you want to do pharmacy definitely do chemistry.

oh okay thanks!
oh okay thanks!

Just read my original reply and realised it doesn't make much sense! I was talking about the maths, I got a B at GCSE and a B at As level.
Reply 50
Original post by __Student__
No point looking at what grades you got and deciding that way. Think about what you want to do after your A levels

yeah i think i wanna do engineering or pharmacy
hmm maybe, hopefully it is

A-level Maths is ridiculously straightforward, understand the concepts and you can do pretty much any question they give you. You don't need to be a "super freak genius" to do it at all.

Why consider a maths-heavy course like engineering if you're not confident about your ability to do A-level maths though? The level of maths you'll do during an engineering degree course will be considerably higher than that of A-level maths, so if you don't think you can handle it, you might want to reconsider.
Reply 52
Original post by justinawe
A-level Maths is ridiculously straightforward, understand the concepts and you can do pretty much any question they give you. You don't need to be a "super freak genius" to do it at all.

Why consider a maths-heavy course like engineering if you're not confident about your ability to do A-level maths though? The level of maths you'll do during an engineering degree course will be considerably higher than that of A-level maths, so if you don't think you can handle it, you might want to reconsider.
because i like physics
Original post by justinawe

^this.

There are hard questions in the book, but you won't be asked them in the exam.
Reply 54
^this.

There are hard questions in the book, but you won't be asked them in the exam.

so its not that hard? and someone who is currently working at an A grade at maths gcse would be able to cope
so its not that hard? and someone who is currently working at an A grade at maths gcse would be able to cope

I got an A in GCSE Maths and self taught AS Maths in 4 months

So yes, it's easy, especially if you are in a class

There's someone on this site doing further maths with a B at GCSE and they get on very well too

If you think you'll be able to do it, you'll be able to. If you think you wont be able to do it, you wont be able to do it. And that's just the bottom line my friend.
yeah i think i wanna do engineering or pharmacy

I would advice you to definitely do Maths, Physics, One of biology or science, then for the last one anything really
Reply 57
I got an A in GCSE Maths and self taught AS Maths in 4 months

So yes, it's easy, especially if you are in a class

There's someone on this site doing further maths with a B at GCSE and they get on very well too

If you think you'll be able to do it, you'll be able to. If you think you wont be able to do it, you wont be able to do it. And that's just the bottom line my friend.

thanks! helped me alot :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by __Student__
I would advice you to definitely do Maths, Physics, One of biology or science, then for the last one anything really
i think i will do maths and all three sciences as i like science and i wanna keep my options open
i think i will do maths and all three sciences as i like science and i wanna keep my options open

Lol I meant One of biology or chemistry (how embarrassing) , If you'd all 4 then definitely go for it. I am choosing maths, biology, chemistry and another I'm not sure about. Although I've been acing my physics exam, there a huge difference between the difficult from GCSE and A level so I don't want to take the risk and then end up flopping.

Quick Reply

Latest