The Student Room Group

Opinion about these universities.

Among these Universities which one do you think the most prestigious and perfect place to study Economics.

Nottingham , York , Sheffield , Leeds , Manchester , Lancaster , Exeter

Many thanks for any comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prospective UK
Among these Universities which one do you think the most prestigious and perfect place to study Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, I'd say York.

But you shouldn't decide on what others think, it's about what YOU think that matters.

Visit them all to get a 'feel' of the place. Look at the modules and optional modules in each university to see which catch your eye. Most of the uni's you mentioned are russell group uni's so will be decent high quality anyway.
Reply 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

All brilliant universities. Go for York since I've always wanted to visit it :smile:
I think any answer anyone gives would be splitting hairs. They're all excellent universities, more or less on par with each other.

I think your decision should be based on course content, location and the type of university you want to study at at - that kind of thing.
Reply 4
For economics specifically, Nottingham probably has the best reputation. Difference isn't huge though, so other factors are probably more important :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I might be going to York (or Manchester or City or somewhere else!)

But erm...yeah. York is one of those universities that keeps on improving and is getting better so....

To be fair it's up to you.
Reply 6
Thanks a lot for all your comment.

Personally York has given me an unconditional offer and I think I really like their style of learning & assessment. However, I've heard a lot that for economics, Not and Exe is a lot more better in terms of prestige. In addition, I noticed that Manchester is said to be more highly-ranked globally. That factors made me reluctant to decide.

Thanks ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Personally York has given me an unconditional offer and I think I really like their style of learning & assessment. However, I've heard a lot that for economics, Not and Exe is a lot more better in terms of prestige. In addition, I noticed that Manchester is said to be more highly-ranked globally. That factors made me reluctant to decide.

Thanks ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me where you've ended up choosing. I've got conditionals from York and Manchester (and a rejection from Exeter.)

Might help me decide too!
Reply 8

Thanks ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to both York and Nottingham for economics and personally preferred notts because its higher ranked and a nicer campus... Also the fact York said they would take a maximum of 8 weeks and ended up taking 5 months :tongue: All of them are good unis though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by senz72
Tell me where you've ended up choosing. I've got conditionals from York and Manchester (and a rejection from Exeter.)

Might help me decide too!

Of course I will when I can make up my mind !! . I understand that your two offers are difficult to choose. ^_^
Could I ask what are your two other choices ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Crazyfoolz
I applied to both York and Nottingham for economics and personally preferred notts because its higher ranked and a nicer campus... Also the fact York said they would take a maximum of 8 weeks and ended up taking 5 months :tongue: All of them are good unis though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for your comment ^_^ . I totally agree with you about reputation of Nottingham and shocked to hear that York took that long to respond to you !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone has any further advice on this ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
You can't really go wrong with any of these choices, don't get too overboard about prestige.
Just think of other factors like:

-Do you want to go to campus/city uni
-Does the place have good transport links
-Which place(s) you would like to go to
-Which places you'd like to go shopping

etc

and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

York is more prestigious, because it has consistently been higher in the league tables over 15 years.
Original post by tommylee24
You can't really go wrong with any of these choices, don't get too overboard about prestige.
Just think of other factors like:

-Do you want to go to campus/city uni
-Does the place have good transport links
-Which place(s) you would like to go to
-Which places you'd like to go shopping

etc

and good luck :biggrin:

Thanks my friend. I personally like the outlook of York and Nottingham more. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ssxx
York is more prestigious, because it has consistently been higher in the league tables over 15 years.

Thank you so much !! I'm currently leaning toward York since their style of education really suits me. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by ssxx

being high up in a league table does not mean that the uni is prestigious. I'd personally say that Nottingham and manchester or probably even leeds is more prestigious, because of their rep and history.
Reply 17
Original post by Nitrogen
being high up in a league table does not mean that the uni is prestigious. I'd personally say that Nottingham and manchester or probably even leeds is more prestigious, because of their rep and history.

So Oxford, Camb, UCL, LSE all top of the league table for years in a row does not imply they are more prestigious?

York has higher UCAS points than Notts, York is harder to get into.

Manchester has 40,000 students, notts has over 33,000 students.
These places are like factories, no real student personal experience.

York is known for being excellent at teaching, ranked 8th by RAE for quality of research and have only 4% drop out rate, with a college system.
only 14,000 students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Thank you so much !! I'm currently leaning toward York since their style of education really suits me. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't forget, York has a college system with only 14,000 students.
It is known for being excellent for teaching.

Places like Manchester has 40,000 students, you will be lost.
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely York is the most prestigious, but after that, Exeter has an excellent reputation as does Leeds. Manchester, Sheffield and Lancaster also have very good reps but personally I would go with York as a firm and Exeter as insurance if it were viable in your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending