The Student Room Group

Programming, where to start?

I'm really interested in learning the basics of programming, any pointers about where to start from your personal experience?
Or any advice about programming at all would be helpful!

Like how hard is it to learn, etc.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks!

I've heard of Java and C, but not matlab.
Your advice is fully appreciated, but would you mind telling me what the difference is between those three, if there is any?

Then I'll know where to go from there! :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for your feedback! :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks again, I was just looking at some you tube videos on the basics,and it's really given me the bug to learn more and more.

I was looking for somewhere to start,and you've helped me out quite a bit.

:smile:

After watching one of the videos, one thing wasn't quite clear, when is bool used?
Reply 4
This is an extract from the video, I'll give you the link in the meantime if you want.

But basically it just states that a boolean is a variable that holds a true or false value, and I was just wondering, in what point in programming is this useful.

http://ideone.com/92406
Reply 5
Oh I see, this is so neat, though I can see it will take time to learn.
Definitely worth it though.
Thanks again.
Reply 6
Java is high level. C is low level. Don't confuse wonderful C with dumb languages like Java please.
Reply 7
Original post by reneetaylor
I'm really interested in learning the basics of programming, any pointers about where to start from your personal experience?
Or any advice about programming at all would be helpful!

Like how hard is it to learn, etc.

Thanks!

If you like I can put up the booklet my uni gives us to teach C as a PDF? Also bools are used in loops and conditional statements
Reply 8
Depends what you are looking to program and whether you wish to sit and learn theory, I learnt the theory first from many books and documents on designs at techniques thou you have to be very driven to go that route. Alternatively you can jump into an IDE with some video tutorials and you can get the same results. I recommend thinking about your learning style as well when choosing how to learn.

Also different languages are used in different circumstances, I don't know your level of ability and I neither wish to talk techy language or to insult your intelligence in the programming field so I have tried to just glance the subject without actually going in depth as I do not know how to gear it.

If you are just starting I would recommend Java, and I once again I don't know your knowledge in the area and this may be basic but I just wish to make sure that it is understood that Java and JavaScript are two different things. I wish you all the best in your programming ways and hello world! Lol
What about Python? I've just started learning Python (3.3) and it's relatively straightforward. Dad says it's the best to begin with, in his opinion. There's an excellent book 'Introduction to Python' and the stuff's all free to download online.

Java is good too though, but I think it's a little more advanced? It depends on what you eventually want to do
Reply 10
Start with Java. I recommend using thenewboston tutorials to familiarize yourself with basic concepts, then far far superior tutorials of Derek Banas. He is incredible person, provides full tutorials on Java, PHP, MySQL, just started Android series where he will show how to build apps his users want. http://www.youtube.com/user/derekbanas

Why Java? A lot of transferable skills. Android is programmed using Java, Oracle uses Java to manage DBs. Good luck because programming is surprisingly difficult.
Reply 11
Original post by natninja
If you like I can put up the booklet my uni gives us to teach C as a PDF? Also bools are used in loops and conditional statements

Thanks, that would be very very useful if you don't mind!! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Once Lore
Depends what you are looking to program and whether you wish to sit and learn theory, I learnt the theory first from many books and documents on designs at techniques thou you have to be very driven to go that route. Alternatively you can jump into an IDE with some video tutorials and you can get the same results. I recommend thinking about your learning style as well when choosing how to learn.

Also different languages are used in different circumstances, I don't know your level of ability and I neither wish to talk techy language or to insult your intelligence in the programming field so I have tried to just glance the subject without actually going in depth as I do not know how to gear it.

If you are just starting I would recommend Java, and I once again I don't know your knowledge in the area and this may be basic but I just wish to make sure that it is understood that Java and JavaScript are two different things. I wish you all the best in your programming ways and hello world! Lol

Thank you very much for your helpful advice.

And I've just started learning about programming, so my techy language is very limited haha, so thanks again for making your post easy to understand!

A friend of mine recommended Java also, so I'm beefing up my knowledge around Java :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 14
TheNewBoston On youtube is incredibly helpful.
Reply 15
Original post by BingTaoBing
What about Python? I've just started learning Python (3.3) and it's relatively straightforward. Dad says it's the best to begin with, in his opinion. There's an excellent book 'Introduction to Python' and the stuff's all free to download online.

Java is good too though, but I think it's a little more advanced? It depends on what you eventually want to do

I'm really interested in using programming to invest in creating apps, I also have a real interest in the concept of programming and as my dad does a lot of it he's opened me up to what it can offer. He does say that it takes time, but I'm willing to take some time out and learn, I think with what I'm interested in, Java is a good place to start.
Thanks!

Original post by Valentas
Start with Java. I recommend using thenewboston tutorials to familiarize yourself with basic concepts, then far far superior tutorials of Derek Banas. He is incredible person, provides full tutorials on Java, PHP, MySQL, just started Android series where he will show how to build apps his users want. http://www.youtube.com/user/derekbanas

Why Java? A lot of transferable skills. Android is programmed using Java, Oracle uses Java to manage DBs. Good luck because programming is surprisingly difficult.

Thank you! I know this will prove very helpful!
And it is quite difficult grasping certain concepts so far, but I'm way too engrossed to quit now.
Reply 16
Yes, programming is an art. You have to do it, do it a lot in order to become better. Also I advise you strongly HERE! Stop reading books, and DO PROGRAMMING!! Write code, bad code, ****ty and buggy code it does not matter. Write code :}

EDIT: Visit StackOverflow and other great programmers websites and they will emphasize writing code, a lot of it. Decide on an interesting project and persevere until you complete it. You will learn a lot along the way.

Also stop negging me for the most fundamental truth every budding programmer must understand and do. :}
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Sketch
TheNewBoston On youtube is incredibly helpful.

Thanks, I'm on there right this minute, and I agree it is very helpful!

Original post by The_Last_Melon

Spoiler

You know...I would never have thought!
Reply 18
Original post by Valentas
Yes, programming is an art. You have to do it, do it a lot in order to become better. Also I advise you strongly HERE! Stop reading books, and DO PROGRAMMING!! Write code, bad code, ****ty and buggy code it does not matter. Write code :}

Nice advice!! Haha, thanks :biggrin:
I started by following a very basic book course for C. I would recreate the simplest programs, learn what they did line by line then write down the useful lines in a log book. As I looked at more complex programs, I would look at this log book, and put the different pieces together to make the program I wanted. If I didn't know how to do something, I just googled it :P

I strongly believe once you've learnt one language, it's easy to pick up another, as most of the hard work is getting your head around the logic of how you can make it do what you want. :smile: For example, now I have learnt C, I've moved on to C# and learnt how to incorporate the object-driven aspects.
So I'd say just pick a language you like the look of, learn the basics then just keep building. :biggrin: Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending