The Student Room Group

What/Who do you think caused the Boston attacks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by doggyfizzel
2 gas leaks? With 2 other "devices" found, and ball bearing being reported. Seems unlikely.

True. But so does posting a picture of Kim Jong Un...
Reply 21
Original post by AvocatDuDiable
No point speculating whatsoever. You might as well ask "what colour underwear do you think I'm wearing?"

Pink? :wink:
Reply 22
Of course it is only a guess, but statistically speaking I would expect it to be Islamic terrorists.
Reply 23
Probably was the Religion of Peace
Absolutely useless and downright offensive to speculate.
Original post by danny111
Gas leak.

Why does it always have to be something evil.

Very unlikely seeing as there were atleast 3 explosions in different buildings. Also, there were bomb disposal teams out too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Well I think North Korea would be the US Government's favourite to blame at the moment... I think "US government" should be a poll option.

Look at the facts - loads of live viewers, massive public event, minor casualties (in comparison with other attacks). So it appears the main objective was maximum exposure rather than maximum casualties.

By that reasoning I'd say it's someone with a cause (which they will want to make very apparent) or someone who wants to cause a reaction.

If it's the latter, the US Gov has a lot to gain from such an attack.
Reply 27
And to all those saying it's offensive to speculate - I doubt you'd have much of a problem with people speculating about the almost daily bomb attacks in the middle east, with a much higher casualty rate.
Reply 28
If this was some far right movement in the USA such as Timothy Mcveigh - the target makes no sense.

The depravity of the chosen targets at that specific location and time, can only point to Islamists. Hitting the spectators of family members and charity runners.

Only Islamists can be that depraved.

The fact there were two maybe three bombs is another indication of it being Islamist. The fact the bombs were relatively small (I'm guessing 2kg-5kg bombs) would suggest it was either not a central Al Qaeda plot (as they would have gone for something bigger) and more likely a lone wolf or 2 to 3 man cell inspired by Al Qaeda.

It could also be Hezbollah on the order of Iran who carried out a bus bombing against Israelis in Bulgaria last year. That device was quite small too. Given the post 9/11 security in the US, some groups may have factored that it's better to slip small devices in and have more chance of being 'successful' than try to attempt a massive attack and risk being caught.

Ball bearings are also a hallmark of Islamists. 'palestinians' pack their bombs with them.

Iranian agents have been caught in several countries in the last two years planning bombings.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Steezy
And to all those saying it's offensive to speculate - I doubt you'd have much of a problem with people speculating about the almost daily bomb attacks in the middle east, with a much higher casualty rate.

What have we as bystanders got to gain from speculation? The glee we get when we rub our hands together, plotting our next war campaign against the perpetrator? No thanks.

Attacks in the Middle East happen often with almost immediate self-declaration of responsibility. It is offensive to summarily accuse someone of a bombing, especially somewhere where they are relatively sparse. The possibilities are endless.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Hopefully NK or right wingers, it'd be more interesting to see what happens after if it was them.
Reply 31
Original post by Chindits
If this was some far right movement in the USA such as Timothy Mcveigh - the target makes no sense.

The depravity of the chosen targets at that specific location and time, can only point to Islamists. Hitting the spectators of family members and charity runners.

Only Islamists can be that depraved.

the depravity of the act can only point to Islamists? yeah, because other violent extremists are so considerate about the time and place of their attacks. Breivik shot up teenagers on a camp for his cause, and Adam Lanza shot elementary school students for no cause at all, but the fact that this was at a charity run must mean it is Muslims.
Reply 32
Original post by lucaf
the depravity of the act can only point to Islamists? yeah, because other violent extremists are so considerate about the time and place of their attacks. Breivik shot up teenagers on a camp for his cause, and Adam Lanza shot elementary school students for no cause at all, but the fact that this was at a charity run must mean it is Muslims.

Breivik's targets made perfect sense for someone of his thinking. A government building and left wing activists.

Adam Lanza is not a terrorist in the traditional sense, so that point is moot.

The likes of Mcveigh (whilst killing many innocents including children) targeted a government building.

I can only think of the 1996 Atlanta games as having the same unconnected target from the cause.

Sure, it could be some pro-gun lunatic wanting to make a point that bombs can kill people and not just guns - but the cynical aspect of targeting a completely unconnected event suggests Islamists.

I've read an article from a former UN terrorism expert who thinks it'll be some internal right wing movement, so we'll see.
Reply 33
leave it the professionals... TSR is not CSI
Reply 34
Original post by Chindits
Breivik's targets made perfect sense for someone of his thinking. A government building and left wing activists.

Adam Lanza is not a terrorist in the traditional sense, so that point is moot.

The likes of Mcveigh (whilst killing many innocents including children) targeted a government building.

I can only think of the 1996 Atlanta games as having the same unconnected target from the cause.

Sure, it could be some pro-gun lunatic wanting to make a point that bombs can kill people and not just guns - but the cynical aspect of targeting a completely unconnected event suggests Islamists.

I've read an article from a former UN terrorism expert who thinks it'll be some internal right wing movement, so we'll see.

the point is not moot, we don't even know if the perpetrator had any more of a motive than Lanza did. it was a public event on patriots day, that makes it a good target for pretty much any extremist group trying to make a statement.
Original post by TheGuy117

dont ever slam kim jung uns fat face infront of my screen again, i got scared
it was north korea who done it, who else could it be?
I'm really surprised that the majority (although by a small margin) believe that this was the effort of Muslim extremists. Islamic extremists aim to do as much damage as possible whilst also claiming responsibility for the attacks. Guess what - no responsibility for the attacks has been claimed (not even opportunistic claiming). The Pakistani Taliban went as far as actually denying any involvement in the attacks - wtf??

This isn't the signature of Islamic extremists - and if it does turn out to be, then they were highly highly amateur and maybe this was a "test run", as several media outlets are speculating.
No one ever mentioned left wing Extremists maybe it was an extreme sect of anonymous
Original post by study beats
it was north korea who done it, who else could it be?

Are you intellectually dim? Since when the the DPRK conduct terrorist attacks on American soil? By Jove, NK don't even conduct terrorist attacks on South Korean soil, let alone US soil! This isn't even NK's MO (if they even have any) - NK normally just makes lots of noise in its own neighborhood and is more concerned with nuclear issues.

If this terrorist attack was perpetrated by a state, it would have been much bigger and much more sophisticated. The Boston explosions looked like amateur acts - I don't even think it could have been Islamic extremists, unless they were really, really amateur. The pitiful amateurishness of this attack makes me suspect that it was an attack of domestic origin (freedom fighters or some other crazed fringe).

But it is certainly not North Korea - if you think so, I urge you to do us (and Darwin) all a favour...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending