The Student Room Group

Half a contact lens lost in my eye! Help!

This morning I was putting my contact lenses in, and I thought it'd got it in but I pulled my finger away and half of it was still stuck to my finger, and the other half is in my eye.

I tried to get it out but I couldn't see it, so I just put another lens in over it. This worked for about an hour, but then my eye got irritated so I took the full lenses out. But the half is still in there!!

I can't see it, I've tried fishing for it, rubbing it, trying to dig it out but I think it's stuck to the back of my eyelid.

Do you think I should leave it and it'll come out on its own, or is there anything I can do to get it out? I can feel it there and it's irritating my eye :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by Maid Marian
This morning I was putting my contact lenses in, and I thought it'd got it in but I pulled my finger away and half of it was still stuck to my finger, and the other half is in my eye.

I tried to get it out but I couldn't see it, so I just put another lens in over it. This worked for about an hour, but then my eye got irritated so I took the full lenses out. But the half is still in there!!

I can't see it, I've tried fishing for it, rubbing it, trying to dig it out but I think it's stuck to the back of my eyelid.

Do you think I should leave it and it'll come out on its own, or is there anything I can do to get it out? I can feel it there and it's irritating my eye :s-smilie:

The first thing is not to panic. There's no way it can be irretrievably lost, since there's nowhere for it to go.

I think your GP can remove them for you, but I've had this happen a few times (over the course of about five years, so not that often!) and the fragment has always made its way out with the movement of your eye - particularly at night, for some reason. I once "lost" an entire lens and it came out a few days later, folded neatly into quarters. No wonder it was so painful!

EDIT: This is quite interesting - it suggests that foreign body sensation can persist even after the lens has been removed. It also reminds me - it's usually stuck under your top lid, so I'd be inclined to gently lift your eyelid away from your eye and see if someone else can help you locate it (before "pinching" it with the pads of your fingertips to remove it, as normal).

(I'm sure it goes without saying, especially since this isn't 100% effective at preventing the problem, but it's definitely worth taking a few seconds to inspect the lens for tears before you put it in!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tortious
The first thing is not to panic. There's no way it can be irretrievably lost, since there's nowhere for it to go.

I think your GP can remove them for you, but I've had this happen a few times (over the course of about five years, so not that often!) and the fragment has always made its way out with the movement of your eye - particularly at night, for some reason. I once "lost" an entire lens and it came out a few days later, folded neatly into quarters. No wonder it was so painful!

EDIT: This is quite interesting - it suggests that foreign body sensation can persist even after the lens has been removed. It also reminds me - it's usually stuck under your top lid, so I'd be inclined to gently lift your eyelid away from your eye and see if someone else can help you locate it (before "pinching" it with the pads of your fingertips to remove it, as normal).

(I'm sure it goes without saying, especially since this isn't 100% effective at preventing the problem, but it's definitely worth taking a few seconds to inspect the lens for tears before you put it in!)

Thank you! I don't wanna go to the GP so I'll just leave it and hope it fall out :smile: It's so irritating to my eye though :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Maid Marian
Thank you! I don't wanna go to the GP so I'll just leave it and hope it fall out :smile: It's so irritating to my eye though :frown:

You could try washing your eye (use something sterile though, not tap water!) to see if that helps. Alternatively, just keep blinking and looking around in the four directions, like you would for an eye test. There's not much else you can do except wait for it to work its way out. If it doesn't come out by tomorrow morning I'd be inclined to make an appointment with a GP though - not sure how common it is, but you certainly don't want to risk an infection.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending