The Student Room Group

First dates

What are the dos and donts on first date and things that ensure a second date

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't keep the conversation one sided.
Reply 2
You must kiss on the first date. You must flirt hard!
Original post by RHCPfan
Don't keep the conversation one sided.

Does that include centering questions around her?
Reply 4
Original post by Dante Maretto
Does that include centering questions around her?

Well try not to make it like it's an interrogation but obviously ask questions, let her speak then you can add something to what shes just said before jumping into another question.
Does anyone even go on dates these days under the age of 20
Reply 6
Don't be too forward, OP. Be talkative and ask her a lot of questions about herself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by eliza.anne
Seems to work well for me. :teehee:

Nah. Don't be too forward, OP. Be talkative and ask her a lot of questions about herself.

Aha nah im writing a story about a date but since ive never been a date i have no idea how it should go
Reply 8
Ask them about themselves, and then see if they are willing to talk about themselves all night or if they actually ask stuff about you.... Haha
Reply 9
Say yes to everything
Here's a big one: Lead. Being the guy, you want to be authoritative and decisive. Girls don't like to make the decisions, so if you've just had coffee, don't ask "So what do you wanna do now?". Yes, it may work with some girls, but generally girls want their man to be a man who knows what he wants.

Here's something that's also incredibly useful but often overlooked. Be genuinely interested in what they have to say. A lot of the time people forget to ask questions and show an interest, rather they keep talking about themselves whenever they get the chance. No girl has ever complained that they talked too much on their date. Ask questions!

It's easy to be in a conversation just partially listening to what they're saying, while you're thinking, "Ok, what am I gonna say after this.. Once I've replied, what will the next conversation topic be?". By doing this you miss a lot of the cues which lead off onto other questions naturally.

Here's an example of a bad conversation:

A: What kinda things do you like doing in your spare time?
B: I'm pretty interested in cooking, I recently started taking cooking classes.
A: Oh cool, I'm not that good at cooking, but I know enough to get by.
B: (---) Maybe you should take lessons too.
A: Haha, maybe I'll join your class.
*Tumbleweed*
A: What else are you interested in?

Here's an example of a better conversation:

A: Oh cool, I'm no good but I'd love to learn. What's it like; are you enjoying it?
B: It's been really fun so far, I've learnt lots of useful techniques and some pretty tasty recipes.
A: Awesome, what's your favourite dish that you've learnt so far?
B: I really like the Parmesan-roasted chicken with sauteed potatoes and asparagus, it's delicious!
A: Are you confident enough to make it for someone else to try? :wink:
B: I've practiced it a few times so I wouldn't mind :tongue:
A: How'd you like to cook for us tonight? I'll bring a bottle of wine..
(You get the picture by now, surely...)
Original post by RichyFrench
Here's a big one: Lead. Being the guy, you want to be authoritative and decisive. Girls don't like to make the decisions, so if you've just had coffee, don't ask "So what do you wanna do now?". Yes, it may work with some girls, but generally girls want their man to be a man who knows what he wants.

Here's something that's also incredibly useful but often overlooked. Be genuinely interested in what they have to say. A lot of the time people forget to ask questions and show an interest, rather they keep talking about themselves whenever they get the chance. No girl has ever complained that they talked too much on their date. Ask questions!

It's easy to be in a conversation just partially listening to what they're saying, while you're thinking, "Ok, what am I gonna say after this.. Once I've replied, what will the next conversation topic be?". By doing this you miss a lot of the cues which lead off onto other questions naturally.

*Tumbleweed*

A: Oh cool, I'm no good but I'd love to learn. What's it like; are you enjoying it?
B: It's been really fun so far, I've learnt lots of useful techniques and some pretty tasty recipes.
B: I really like the Parmesan-roasted chicken with sauteed potatoes and asparagus, it's delicious!

Great advice and that's a very good example there! :biggrin:
Thumbs up from me! :yep:
Original post by Solid.Snake
Great advice and that's a very good example there! :biggrin:
Thumbs up from me! :yep:

Cheers man, feels good to know that it actually got read and was appreciated :smile:
Original post by RichyFrench

*Tumbleweed*

Ah a smooth talking french guy eh!
Original post by superduper9
Ah a smooth talking french guy eh!

I'm actually English, but thanks for the smooth talking compliment :tongue:

(FYI, I created the account when I studied French; ergo RichyFrench.)
Don't I'm or er too much. Don't make bad jones or rude jokes, don't pick your nose, don't fart, don't talk with your mouth full, and so on.

Original post by eliza.anne
Seems to work well for me. :teehee:

It's the law in Essex.
Reply 16
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's the law in Essex.

:yep: Considered rude if you don't ask/offer :K:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the bear
never ask for anal on the first date

That made me giggle :tongue:

Anyway ...
I personally think that a first date should be fun. Nothing too romantic, but nothing too boring. A day out somewhere would be nice. Talk about general stuff that both of you can relate to and have equal thoughts to share about.
Reply 18
LOL, I read the title as 'Fresh dates'.

I thought we were going to discuss the date fruit. :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Reform
LOL, I read the title as 'Fresh dates'.

I thought we were going to discuss the date fruit. :frown:

:rofl: Probably be a more interesting subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending