The Student Room Group

Do you have to use the handbrake all the time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You may fail for not putting the handbrake on, you shouldn't fail for not putting it in neutral though. My instructor told me to sit there with my foot on the clutch while waiting at lights. Looking back this seems strange and I don't do it now i have passed my test, but i didn't fail or get any minors for it during my test.
Reply 21
wait what? They tell you to use the handbrake at traffic lights in the UK? why?
No, I only use it when stopping at my destination. When learning, I think I was advised to use it at traffic lights, if waiting a long time, but now I just keep my feet on the clutch and brake pedals.
Reply 23
Original post by skumgummi
wait what? They tell you to use the handbrake at traffic lights in the UK? why?

Becuase in the uk we mainly drive manual cars. If you are holding the car on the footbrake it is harder to pull away while applying revs and balancing the clutch. Using the handbrake frees up your brake foot so you can use the clutch and the accelerator.
Reply 24
Original post by Architecture-er
I was taught that for the test the rule of thumb is that if you think you'll be stationary for more than 3 seconds, then put the handbrake on.

In reality you'll never do that, but that's what the examiner will be hoping to see. At traffic lights look for clues like how long it was since a car came the other way (if a stream of cars pass you in a tight bunch then you can expect the lights to change as you draw near to the lights).

In reality ....
Appply HB if more than 2 or 3 seconds
Keep foot on footbrake as well as HB on if last vehicle in queue but release when another stops behind - its not nice for the driver behind to put up with high density lights in their face

Those that do not follow the above are usually just too lazy to apply HB
Reply 25
Original post by mat.butler
Becuase in the uk we mainly drive manual cars. If you are holding the car on the footbrake it is harder to pull away while applying revs and balancing the clutch. Using the handbrake frees up your brake foot so you can use the clutch and the accelerator.

I've always driven manual, never had any difficulties starting and stopping without the handbrake. Is it a law when you stand still or just something the driving instructors tell you to do?
Reply 26
They teach you to use it a lot when learning to drive, but to be honest now I hardly ever use it unless I am doing a hill start in traffic on a steep hill.

When stationary in traffic I sit in neutral with my foot on the brake.

Original post by mat.butler

How does that work then? When setting off, just bring the clutch up to the biting point as you let your foot off the brake and apply some throttle and you are away.

Original post by skumgummi
I've always driven manual, never had any difficulties starting and stopping without the handbrake. Is it a law when you stand still or just something the driving instructors tell you to do?

Just something driving instructors tell you do to.
(edited 11 years ago)
I only really use my handbrake when parking really. I did use it more when I was still a learner though.
Original post by ROG.
In reality ....
Appply HB if more than 2 or 3 seconds
Keep foot on footbrake as well as HB on if last vehicle in queue but release when another stops behind - its not nice for the driver behind to put up with high density lights in their face

Those that do not follow the above are usually just too lazy to apply HB

Which is about 90% of the population
Tbh unless I'm on a hill, I find applying the handbrake when waiting too much of a hassle. It's just easier to move off when I can take my foot off the brake and move it over to the accelator. :dontknow:
Reply 30
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Tbh unless I'm on a hill, I find applying the handbrake when waiting too much of a hassle. It's just easier to move off when I can take my foot off the brake and move it over to the accelator. :dontknow:

As I stated in my last post - just laziness with no thought for the driver behind
Original post by ROG.
As I stated in my last post - just laziness with no thought for the driver behind

Shut up Rog.
I was taught to put the handbrake on if the car was going to be stopped for 3 seconds or more. So if the lights have just turned red, then the handbrake would be appropriate.

Regarding staying in first or going to neutral - I don't remember there being any preference either way. It is more comfortable and easier to go into neutral. It may be safer as, in the event of a collision, you won't slip off the clutch and have your car move (although, with the handbrake on, this shouldn't really happen). If you're not so comfortable about using the clutch, you can use the time to find the biting point and get the revs ready, then drop the handbrake and go.

If the lights have just turned red and you're expecting a 30-60 second wait before they turn green, it makes sense to go into neutral and have the handbrake on. Get to know the lights in your area as well as getting a feel for long things typically stop for. As the other lights go red, you can be readying yourself to go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by amyshamblesxx

That is pretty much what I do, and what most people do to be honest.

Original post by ROG.

In what way is sitting with your foot on the brake possible inconsiderate to the driver behind? :lolwut:

At night I can see where you are coming from - some brake lights are very bright - but during the day I can't say I have ever been dazzled by brake lights.
What? Using the handbrake at traffic lights? Who told you that? Putting it in neutral, sure,
but the foot brake will perfectly suffice.
I handbrake at lights if I know I will be there for a while. Just to I can rest my leg. :tongue:
Original post by AmyAquarius
I handbrake at lights if I know I will be there for a while. Just to I can rest my leg. :tongue:

LOL yeah that left leg needs a break often tee hee :giggle:
Original post by xev bellringer
LOL yeah that left leg needs a break often tee hee :giggle:

Lol :colone:... wait, you brake using your left leg?!
Lol Amy,Im on about keeping the car at bite.Can you imagine if anyone actually used their left leg to brake :lolwut: That would be stall central!!!!

I don't use handbrake at traffic lights.I can keep the car still with my right leg on brake with no bother but my left leg gets crampy often.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 1992LP
That is pretty much what I do, and what most people do to be honest.

In what way is sitting with your foot on the brake possible inconsiderate to the driver behind? :lolwut:

At night I can see where you are coming from - some brake lights are very bright - but during the day I can't say I have ever been dazzled by brake lights.

Same. I've never been 'dazzled' by break lights either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending