The Student Room Group

Sum of Bernoulli Trials and Geometric R.V's

Hey, I've been working on sums of distributions for discrete variables and have managed to get this so far:

X~Poisson(a) and Y~Poisson(b) Assuming they're independent then Z=X+Y~Poisson(a+b)

and similarly for Binomial I got X~B(n,p) and Y~(m,p) then Z=X+Y~B(n+m,p)

However I cant figure out the sums for the geometric distribution or the Bernoulli trials. Any help would be great :smile: Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by MathStudent1994
Hey, I've been working on sums of distributions for discrete variables and have managed to get this so far:

X~Poisson(a) and Y~Poisson(b) Assuming they're independent then Z=X+Y~Poisson(a+b)

and similarly for Binomial I got X~B(n,p) and Y~(m,p) then Z=X+Y~B(n+m,p)

However I cant figure out the sums for the geometric distribution or the Bernoulli trials. Any help would be great :smile: Thanks in advance!

One thing that might be tripping you up is that the sum isn't the same distribution as the individual rvs.

For example, I assume you know that a sum of geometric random variables has...

Spoiler

Reply 2

Consider what a Bernouilli trial is, and what Sn=kS_n=k actually means. Ring any bells?
Original post by Smaug123
Consider what a Bernouilli trial is, and what Sn=kS_n=k actually means. Ring any bells?

Oh I get it!! It's basically the binomial distribution!! :proud:
Reply 4
Oh I get it!! It's basically the binomial distribution!! :proud:

The stats is strong in this one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest